phpBB coming soon....PLEASE READ

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

phpBB coming soon....PLEASE READ

Post by solarchat »

So, we gave up on trying to work inside of Joomla.

We have acquired a new copy of phpBB and installed it on the servers. I have hired a professional company and a professional IT guy to come in and manually export everything in our databases from posts, messages, attachments, rankings, avatars, profiles, statistics, etc... into the new and WAY more efficient and better designed phpBB SQL section. They guarantee success or we don't pay.

The new software will be about a million times more user friendly and much much easier to work with on the backend. Plus it has a lot more social media interface than this one. It will also allow for user created and verified accounts in the future.

Here is what I need for everyone to do:

Please go verify that your email address is current in this forum. We can't export passwords because we don't know what they are! Only you know. They are encrypted. Everyone will receive a new password via email as soon as the new forum goes online. You can come in and change it to whatever you want after you log in.

Please stay tuned for notice of the day that the forum will be down so that we can do a completely current export of data and import into the new forum without losing any posts. This will hopefully take no more than a day and a half to complete.

We will be using ONLY solarchat.solarastronomy.org as the link shortly after the upgrade.

This is costing the program a few hundred dollars but I think it will be worth it so that we can have a vibrant forum for years to come.

I will keep the landing page very simple and make the posts easily accessible. I like the simplicity of the current software but it is becoming impossible to manage with the number of posts and attachments.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: phpBB coming soon....PLEASE READ

Post by Montana »

:hamster: :hamster: :hamster:

Can't wait :)

Alexandra

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Will I lose my vital statistics of most profile views? :lol: :lol: :lol: it's the only thing I'm currently leading over Mark and Walter by a long way :lol:

Alexandra

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

great news Stephen, thanks for all your efforts

Pedro

Houghy
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Houghy »

sounds like you are making progress, look forward to the new version

Just Learning
swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by swisswalter »

High Stephen

thank you very much for the good News. My email box is ready to welcome your email anytime ;-)

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)