Newly arrived 295mm D-ERF

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
RaymondTSE
The Sun?
The Sun?

Newly arrived 295mm D-ERF

Post by RaymondTSE »

Dear all,

A slight surprise when an EMS parcel arrived toay (slightly ahead of my expected schedule) from Ukraine.

After careful unwrapping of 2 carton boxes, I found a pearl white platic filter cell.

I give myself a pleasant smile when I find the large filter in good shape, clean and free from visual defect. No crack/damage/scratch.
Thanks to Valery for carefully wrapping up the filter.

The next step is to design an aluminium adapter to mate the heavy duty plastic filter cell (2.4kg for glass filter+filter cell) onto the top of my 12.5 inchF5 dob.

The picture shows an inner thick blue circle which is the OD of my 12.5 inch/318mmF5 reflector mirror.

The larger thick blue line is the 330mm clear aperture of my Dob's upper assembly.

Eager to see the visual differences between a Lunt 152mmF6 T/Ha through B1800 blocking filter & a large D-ERF (282mm clear aperture within the plastic cell) with Quark Combo after TV4x/5X powermate.

Raymond
Attachments
20170529-1024x768- D-ERF in plastic cell wo slit.jpg
20170529-1024x768- D-ERF in plastic cell wo slit.jpg (80.88 KiB) Viewed 2891 times

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Newly arrived 295mm D-ERF

Post by Montana »

Very nice :)

Alexandra

christian viladrich
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by christian viladrich »

Impressive and very exciting !

Christian Viladrich
Co-author of "Planetary Astronomy"
http://planetary-astronomy.com/
Editor of "Solar Astronomy"
http://www.astronomiesolaire.com/
Derek Klepp

Post by Derek Klepp »

Raymond I look forward to the results.

Valery

Post by Valery »

Raymond,

Glad to know your filter arrived quickly and in a safe shape.

This plastic "box" is the cell of the filter for C11 telescope (which you intend to use in a future).
So, the filter can be used with this cell right out of the box. It has a bayonet secure system.
Upper (wider) cup can be used for temporal filter cover on the telescope.

Better to remove the filter after each observing session and store it with both dust cups.
After each observing session, remove dust with rubber air pear.

Visual use can be successful only at a really good seeing (early morning) and better from a good
unheated place (grassy lawn etc).

BTW. TV Powermate 5x is not very good combination, but you can try.

Good luck!

Valery.

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
RaymondTSE
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by RaymondTSE »

Dear Valery and others,

Thanks for the valuable advice.

I used the DERF to view the (setting) Sun with naked eyes this afternoon. Nice orange colour sky clouds and the red Sun.

It would still take some time before the mating aluminium filter adapter could be tailored-made locally.

The 12.5inch Dob could be used in daytime (for solar watching/imaging on EQ platform through the DERF) and at night (when the DERF is removed).

I would also design a mating adapter to use the large DERF on top of the smaller aperture C925 EdgeHD which I have already owned. Same daytime and night time use as well.

Raymond

eroel

Post by eroel »

Raymond:
Congratulations on your new setup.
Regards,
Eric.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

very nice!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
RaymondTSE
The Sun?
The Sun?

Re: Adapter for newly arrived 295mm D-ERF

Post by RaymondTSE »

SmartSelectImage_2017-07-03-01-26-36.png
SmartSelectImage_2017-07-03-01-26-36.png (1.23 MiB) Viewed 2736 times
Finally the tailored-made aluminium filter cell adapter for C925EdgeHD arrived. Carefully place 295mmDERF on top of C925HD.
The visual binoviewer setup at F30 is quite heavy now.

RaymondTSE
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by RaymondTSE »

Dear all and Valery,

Some updates when I just start to watch solar images visually recently.

Previously tried to use Powermate 2X on C925HD with Quark Como but F20's light cone was too sharp and thus did not match Quark Combo.

When I switched to Powermate 4X, F40 was too overwhelmed by bad seeing during daytime.

Recently I ordered Baader Telecentric TZ 3X but initial result was also bad for a solar newbie. I then realized the the crayford focuser (about 100mm long) behind C925 was already too long for TZ3X.

I therefore removed the crayford focuser and just re-used C925's original visual back. Adjust focus to roughly 146mm behind C925 so that C925 original focal plan lies somewhere inside TZ3X. Then I placed Quark Combo at about 250mm behind TZ3X ending lens. The final F-ratio was F30 but still magnification was too high even though I use 32mm or 40mm EP.

Yesterday, with a hot weather warning from our local Weather Observatory at 32C ambient, I added a Denkmiere reducer (don't know the reduction ratio but believe it around 0.4x-0.5x), I could finally visually watch a large prominance at about 120-150x magnification. Quark Combo dial position at 1 o'clock.

This is the 1st time I could successfuly watch through Aries 295mm dual band full aperture front D-ERF in front of C925HD. The Big prominance was worth watching. However, no apparent disc feature could be observed, since no sunspot appeared.

In comparision, I also set up original 40mm PST with 32mm TV possl. A very nice 3D red crystal ball but very small.

Next target would be to compare side by side against Lunt 152 L/Ha, may be with a glasspath 2.6x and adjusting to similar magnification.

Raymond Tse
Hong Kong.
Attachments
20190519_171423b.jpg
20190519_171423b.jpg (73.7 KiB) Viewed 2080 times

Valery

Post by Valery »

Hello Raymond,

Large aperture telescopes need good seeing to realize their advantages in resolution. The common rule is that good seeing much more often can be met early morning, not at hot day time.

So, better if you have eastern horizon open for your telescope.

Hope this helps and I wish you more good seeing. With the seeing less than good, better to use a smaller telescope. Large apertures are mostly for imaging - CCD camera is able to catch the moments of best seeing and then computer find them in the movies, no so with a human eyes. Visual use is more demanded for good seeing.

Regards,

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Congrats Raymond.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
RaymondTSE
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by RaymondTSE »

Dear Valery,

Agree that morning seeing is best before the Sun heats up.

My 295mm DERF filter in about 2 years' time has picked up some dusts on the outer surface.

Do you have any recommendations to clean off the dusts in addition to using air blower ?

Suggestions from others are also welcome.

Raymond

Valery

Post by Valery »

RaymondTSE wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:02 pm Dear Valery,

Agree that morning seeing is best before the Sun heats up.

My 295mm DERF filter in about 2 years' time has picked up some dusts on the outer surface.

Do you have any recommendations to clean off the dusts in addition to using air blower ?

Suggestions from others are also welcome.

Raymond
Air blower is the best. You can use it together with a very soft brush.

BTW. I sent you PM and e-mail.

Valery

RaymondTSE
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by RaymondTSE »

While I am configurating the optimum optical train setup for visual solar Ha viewing, I soon find the scorching sun rays hurting my forearms and knees/legs even though I wear hat and neck protection. Further the high ambient temperature of above 32C is no fun for my on-going sweaty face/head.

Then I make a simple sun-shade by putting up a moderate size white drawing board about 40cm wide and 60cm high. Place it over the tripod after the DERF so as not to block the view. Just find a suitable position to block out the irritating sun rays.

A bit more comfort.

Raymond
Attachments
20190609_174523.jpg
20190609_174523.jpg (2.96 MiB) Viewed 1826 times

RaymondTSE
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by RaymondTSE »

Another photo.
Attachments
20190607_163423.jpg
20190607_163423.jpg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 1826 times

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

A creative solution - I like it! 9c here and my central heating has come on this evening. Has anyone told the UK it is summer?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Enjoy your new toy, Raymond.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/