Sunshine!!!!!

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Sunshine!!!!!

Post by Montana »

Wow! first sunshine of the year :hamster:

I did check the SSM first to see what seeing was like and quickly decided to go for the Solarscope. I really struggled to get it on band, I have no idea why, too cold? seeing was terrible too (as predicted by the SSM).

Anyway I managed a couple of animations of the two prominences that were on show today, it was so lovely to be back imaging :)

Image2018-02-24-animation-one by Alexandra Hart, on Flickr

Image2018-02-24-animation-two by Alexandra Hart, on Flickr

and some stills
ImageSun_114305_24_02_2018 by Alexandra Hart, on Flickr

ImageSun_120807_24_02_2018 by Alexandra Hart, on Flickr

What a wonderful day, I fell asleep in the sunshine too, perfect :)

Sadly though I am not sure whether I will be able to use my C11 for a long time now. My roadie (the hubby) was told yesterday he needs major surgery on his shoulder, it was a bit of a shock. So there is no way I can get the C11 on the mount. I am so disappointed, why am I such a weakling :(

Is there a good technique to get something heavy on a mount on your own? I have tried the horizontal method Stu showed me but I still can't do it. It is too big, awkward and heavy. I wish it had handles but they don't seem to sell them and mine just has one in a very odd place. I wish telescope designers would use a bit of common sense. I am gutted really as I am so keen to try out my new ND3.8 filter and I don't see how I am going to do it now.

Alexandra

denababy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: Sunshine!!!!!

Post by denababy »

Don’t try and lift it on your own that is how folk get a pulled back. By the way fantastic pics.

DamienCannane
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by DamienCannane »

Those are fantastic! So much detail on the proms. What scope did you use for these?

Damien

Valery
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Valery »

Hi Alexandra,

Very nice results. Thanks! You made my day (actually evening).

As for the C11 problem. You can buy a special all weather cover for the C11 and it's mount. It can live outside for months being covered with this special cover. My C11 did this for 8 or 9 months before I bough the SkyShed.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hi Alexandra,

Great animations and images of the proms

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Ibbo

Post by Ibbo »

Good stuff Aleaxandra.
It was a bit cool here.
And yes the seeing was pants.

robert

Post by robert »

Brilliant stuff. Good you are imaging again.
Have you got an ADM saddle clamp on the mount. I find that is really helpful. Setting it horizontal it is easier to get the scope hooked over the bottom edge to take the weight and the shuffle about and screw the clamp shut.
Robert

images and animations http://tinyurl.com/h5bgoso
2024 images https://www.flickr.com/photos/69734017@ ... 0313830045
2023 images https://www.flickr.com/photos/69734017@ ... 0304905278
ED80. ED100. Celestron-150mm-PST mod. C8 edge. ES127
LS60PT-LS60F-B1200. B600-Cak. PGR-Ch3-IMX265
ffellah

Post by ffellah »

Excellent animations, Alexandra, specially considering the conditions ! You made my day too..... I enjoy seeing all that plasma flowing.
Here the weather is ugly and cold: I miss imaging but hope something good will appear soon and a clear sunny day during the weekend will allow me to start imaging with a scope.

Franco

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Hi Alexandra...

These are great pics and animations...thanks for sharing :bow

I would suggest a cover like Valery suggests...although I never left the scope out as long as he has, I have had the mount out under a cover for an entire summer/fall and the electronics survived fine.

We had a some sun later in the day today but no time to take a peek. Packing to get ready to head to the airport tomorrow for a week in the Dominican. I'm leaving the little solar scope behind this time...with the low activity not much to view or show to curious on lookers either. Timing is bad as the coming week should produce a good sap run, but I'll have to play catch-up in the sugar bush when I get back (supposed to turn cold later in the week and will buy me some time...I hope ;) ).

I'll check for updates while away,

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
eroel

Post by eroel »

Alexandra:
Beautiful session and images, finally you got sunshine.
Best regards,
Eric.

pedro

Post by pedro »

Great images and animations Alexandra. Maybe its time to get an observatory or shed.

best wishes to Darren

bart1805
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by bart1805 »

Hi Alexandra, maybe it is an idea to get wheels under your mount. I just bought a second hand Skywatcher Pillar Mount. The wheels are a bit small, have to get bigger wheels. But it works! So leave the C11 attached to your mount and roll it out. Good luck, Bart.

dvoss
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by dvoss »

Wow - fantastic detail and activity in your movies.

Maybe you should get one of those hydraulic cranes that car mechanics use to hoist engines around....at least until your roadie is back on the job. :D

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks everyone :)
Damien, it is a Solarscope 100mm double stack Halpha filter (sorry I forgot to say).

Brian, have a wonderful time in the Sun, but get back soon for that Maple sap run, we can't afford to miss it, peoples pancakes rely on you :)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We have been thinking long and hard today. I think a cover would be bad because it is a bit of security risk, if plants get stolen from around here I would hate to leave an expensive telescope and mount out! A shed is out, our garden is far too small. I have only one mount so if I left it on I couldn't use the TEC :(
The only thing I can think of is to use my little step ladder, I can lift the scope but I can't get it above waist height, if I go up the step ladder I should then be the same height as the mount and can drop it in. I can then get the hubby with his left hand to tighten the bolts. I hope this works, we shall have a practice shortly, if it works I will let you know.
Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Good images especially with the boiling seeing. I was enjoying some full disk views visually but with a fried mount was limited to what I can do.

In terms of solutions with the C11 you could fit a rail to the top, i've done this with the HaT and it works well as a handle. https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/pr ... -1100.html

Another one if you can't lift the scope above waist height is to shorten the tripod so you don't have to lift as high?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Lovely images, Alexandra.

I was out on Sunday morning for an hour or so. The seeing was terrible then as well. Really boiling, despite the cold conditions around. I managed a few images which I'll post between applying coats of paint..... still decorating :(

As for the scope, maybe a jacking trolley would allow you to get it from ground level to the mount, but I guess rolling the scope into position on the mount could still be very tricky and risky. Is there no obliging neighbour to assist you?

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
stef41
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by stef41 »

beautiful!
I love halpha animations! :)

regards,
Stéphane - France

christian viladrich

Post by christian viladrich »

Hi Alexandra,

As for the C11 problem, I had the same issue with my N300 mm on my AP1200. The mount is very high, and it is very difficult to lift the scope.
I thought about a ladder, but it is not that stable or easy to manage.
Finally, I remember I had two large trunks like this in my garage. It is very easy to step on these (one for each foot ...). There is no problem with stability. And you get 25 cm higher, which makes a big difference :

http://www.trigano-collectivites.com/48 ... x50x39.jpg

Christian Viladrich
Co-author of "Planetary Astronomy"
http://planetary-astronomy.com/
Editor of "Solar Astronomy"
http://www.astronomiesolaire.com/
Christopher
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Christopher »

Beautiful images Alexandra. For the lift I’ve seen this trick
http://bootlegastronomers.com/bl2013.htm
Or even this turnkey approach
https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/mate ... gIYk_D_BwE

Christopher

"Our imagination is stretched to the utmost, not, as in fiction, to imagine things which are not really there, but just to comprehend those things which 'are' there.". -Feynman
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks guys! I like the look of that hoist :)
By the way my tripod legs are already on the shortest setting and have never been higher, I need to dig a hole in the ground, that might work :lol:

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Montana wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:16 pm By the way my tripod legs are already on the shortest setting and have never been higher, I need to dig a hole in the ground, that might work :lol:
Alexandra
I have a spare tripod for the HEQ6, I could cut the legs shorter (than shortest setting) and you can have this if you want? Fiona will approve as it will be one less piece of junk in the loft :D

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

marktownley wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:35 pm In terms of solutions with the C11 you could fit a rail to the top, i've done this with the HaT and it works well as a handle. https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/pr ... -1100.html
One of these used in conjunction with above would give you a nice handle on top https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/pr ... copes.html

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

The handle is a great idea! I'd want two of the rails though, I hate the little thin mounting rail that is on the bottom at the moment. How do you screw these on to the scope, do you have to drill holes? if so, how do you know where it is safe to do so? I need to think about this quick as he only has two arms until 13th March, after that, me - a screwdriver and drill, heaven help us!
Don't cut the legs of your EQ6 mount though Mark, that would be barbaric :lol:
Alexandra

Macavity
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Macavity »

You have to enter into the SPIRIT of this one... But I did: :lol:
For a Cnn versus "EQ" mount it is an interesting technique?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwVg1M6bURI

:seesaw

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I was just watching this video a minute ago as Peter Drew recommended it :lol: it looks a great technique to try. I need to find a chair that fits to give it a try :)

Alexandra

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Hi Alexandra...

Just looking at the links mark sent and the handle is a great option. You can slide it to where the tube is balanced (heaviest at the primary mirror end) and east to remove if you want to mount a camera or other piece of kit.

If you mount will take the 3” Losmandy D-plate put that on as a base...far more stable than the narrower Vixen rail. You should be able to get a handle to fit the vixen rail and be go.

The SCT tubes are all pre-drilled and tapped and the supplies if the rails should supply all the hardware needed to put it together.

Good luck getting it all setup.

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

C14 + Lunt 80ED

2.2m Diameter Dome
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
FlankerOneTwo
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by FlankerOneTwo »

So sorry to hear about your husband's shoulder, I hope he recovers quickly!
I very much enjoy your images - would a short pier work better for you? AstroPhysics makes them as short as 24". You might need some sort of adapter on top depending on which mount you have. They are a little spendy, but I got a good price on a used one.

It just occurred to me that you might be able to use a hydraulic patient lift, they are somewhat less than a new AP pier, for example this one:
https://www.parentgiving.com/shop/hydra ... 43/p/8830/
Some lifting straps should allow you to lift the scope to a height where you could affix to the mount. There are probably medical supply stores that will let you rent one for a period. Whatever you do, please don't hurt yourself!

Best wishes,

Patrick

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Montana wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:48 am The handle is a great idea! I'd want two of the rails though, I hate the little thin mounting rail that is on the bottom at the moment. How do you screw these on to the scope, do you have to drill holes? if so, how do you know where it is safe to do so? I need to think about this quick as he only has two arms until 13th March, after that, me - a screwdriver and drill, heaven help us!
Don't cut the legs of your EQ6 mount though Mark, that would be barbaric :lol:
Alexandra
No drilling, like Brian said everything is pre-drilled and threaded so it just all unscrews. You can replace the piddly vixen rail on the base for a losmandy. I personally think the bigger losmandy is much easier to locate when putting on the saddle.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/pr ... 445mm.html

Definitely not barbaric to cut down my tripod, creative more like I would say ;) It would be easy for me to do, so the offer is there and open if you want it. Just need to work out how low the TEC gets to the ground when it's loaded with the camera etc so it doesn't clatter with the ground when imaging high in the sky.

You can get a skywatcher pier (like I use) https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywat ... ounts.html and cut the central column down. I've left my pier outside for several months of the year covered with a tarp and bar a bit of rust here ad there is fine.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I had another (cheaper!) cunning plan too. When you mount the scope do so with the RA axis inverted. It lowers the mounting point by a good foot or so, might just be what is needed for you to do it on your own?

Imageimage by Mark Townley, on Flickr

You just rotate the RA axis back to normal...

Imageimage by Mark Townley, on Flickr

Something to give a go this weekend?

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, I am going to have a busy weekend trying them all out!
It seems he is going to be one arm only for 6 weeks, then no heavy lifting for 3-6 months! I have to learn how to tie a work shirt tie this weekend, that will be fun, it is amazing all the little things we are thinking about he can't do with only one hand. Well, better to be prepared :)

Alexandra

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Alexandra...

One thing to consider when engineering a low saddle height on the mount is where the eyepiece/camera will be when pointed st the sky. You might have to did a hole to allow the focused to swing through without hitting the ground.

The C11 won’t use near the ground clearances of a refractor. I need to rebuild an observatory that has a raised floor that worked fine when it housed a newtonian, but very frustrating to use now that there is a SCT and refractor option to mount.

Just a thought on the setup ,
Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

C14 + Lunt 80ED

2.2m Diameter Dome