Fire capture woes

The place for all your solar software; capture, stacking, post processing, ancillaries etc. It's all up for discussion here!
denababy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Fire capture woes

Post by denababy »

Hello I have been trying to download the above software for four days, even contacted Torsten, but as yet I still cannot download it. I manage to get the compressed file, where Torsten says I should click on the Firecapture.exe file but that is not there on the page. I keep getting a message saying the Java is not on my machine, so I downloaded it but after rebooting my laptop when I try to open from the icon on my desktop I still get the message that Java is not on my machine!!!! I just keep going round in circles, anyone help please.
My laptop is a Dell with a SSD antivirus software and 8gb.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Fire capture woes

Post by marktownley »

Have you uncompressed the firecapture software?

When you say you are clicking the icon on your desktop what icon are you clicking - Java or Firecapture? Java just runs in the background you don't have to do anything with it.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Have you uncompressed the firecapture software?
That's my first thought too.

FC has java it's own Java version embedded, so you don't need anything special installed except camera drivers. Please describe more in detail exactly the steps you are taking to get/install FC.

Paul

denababy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by denababy »

Hi thanks for the replies. When I click on the icon on my desktop I get a message saying Java not on this machine, every time I click on the icon I get the same message, I’m just going around in circles with that. I have just had a message from Torsten that includes a video. I will keep on trying but I think there must be a message there telling me not to do it!!!!
I open F.C. and click on Download the machine then does a security scan, I follow the steps on the screen until I get ‘finish’,I then reboot the laptop, there is no icon on the desktop and no file, generally, but in the few times there has been something there is no Firecapture.exe file so I cannot uncompressed it.

bart1805
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by bart1805 »

I am not an expert.
But you don't need an exe-file to unzip the file. Go to the file. Right mouse button. Then unzip the file.

denababy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by denababy »

I would like to thank everyone for their replies. I seem to have downloaded FC just don’t know how. There is a different icon on the desktop from the one I got originally, just don’t ask me how !!!!! Thanks once again I am sure I will be back looking for help and advice. :hamster:

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Why reboot? no need for that.

If you have dowloaded you should have a file FireCapture_v2.6_x64.zip

Alternative to the right click method for installing

double click on the FireCapture_v2.6_x64.zip (watch out: .zip may not be shown if you hide known file extensions in your PC, which is Microsofts default setting) file.
So it probably looks like this.
cap.PNG
cap.PNG (3 KiB) Viewed 4790 times

it will open and show ad folder
drag that folder to a location on your pc where you want to install FireCapture

open the newly created folder (doubled click on it)

double click on FireCapture (or FireCapture.exe depends on your pc setting is the .exe will be shown ....)

That's it.

After that you will have shortcuts for different type of cams that you can use.

P.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

denababy wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:52 am When I click on the icon on my desktop I get a message saying Java not on this machine, every time I click on the icon I get the same message, I’m just going around in circles with that.
Which icon? Java or Firecapture?

Post some screen shots so we can see what you're doing.

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
denababy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by denababy »

Mark, the icon that kept sending me in circles was the Java message. But as I said, without knowing how it happened I have managed to download the program. The only thing that is a bit concerning is that when I double click on the FC icon, for a brief second there is a black box with code that appears then goes very quickly, only a split split second, then a few seconds later it F.C. icon appears and the program opens, is this the same for everyone????

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

Yes, that's a normal start-up.

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Yup. Perfectly normal.