When I win the lottery

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
skyhawk
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

When I win the lottery

Post by skyhawk »

When I win the lottery
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (433.54 KiB) Viewed 3775 times

Just for info, if I ever come over as "blunt" or upset it is not intentional, I am AUTISTIC, I have Aspergers, and ADHD, Autism, so my apologies if I ever sound, unintentionally confrontational. Thank you

Esprit 120mm triplet refractor
Celestron Evolution Edge HD 8"
72mm Ed Skywatcher for Solar

SkyTee 2
Sky-Watcher SolarQuest
Gitzo Systematic Series 5

ASI 178MM
Daystar Quark Ha
WO Binoviewers
Many eyepieces 2"
christian viladrich
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: When I win the lottery

Post by christian viladrich »

Yes indeed :-)
They say it is a 300 mm refractor. I was wondering whether it could be an aspheric single lens, which would make sense.
I would like to test it ;-)

Christian Viladrich
Co-author of "Planetary Astronomy"
http://planetary-astronomy.com/
Editor of "Solar Astronomy"
http://www.astronomiesolaire.com/
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Interesting scope! Not sure I would get one though - would need a serious mount to hold it, and some seriously good seeing to be able to make use of it. I think the price tag will be scary when it is released too.

If I was venturing up in aperture I would get a SCT and one of Valerys DERFs and then spend some serious money on a solar spectrum etalon, I think this route offers much better value for money.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Hrm,

Don't think I'd bite on this one. Looks more like something being custom made for an observatory or university or something. Way too expensive in my book for what it is I think. I imagine it will use an internal D-ERF and only be single wavelength on top of that. I wouldn't pay $100k+ for that. Maybe I'm wrong though. Who knows what the total package will be. To truly benefit a 300mm aperture, you have to be in an ideal location for seeing on the regular. This isn't for everyone's backyard at all. And if that is truly a 300mm lens, my god, it will need a truly crazy serious mount to handle.

I would however, gladly, get an i-Star Optical R30 Doublet, 250mm F11 refractor ($6.1k) in a truss build, with an Aires full aperture tri-band DERF, and then play around with PST etalons & maybe a Qunatum on the back of it, on a CEM120 maybe. Affordable for what it is and realistic. Still demanding on seeing, but doable. Plus an SSM of course.

Very best,

Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

I think the price tag will be scary when it is released too.
A poster on CN stated it was "six figures," and this might be true given the cost of the LS230 (DS).

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

I believe it’s pressure tuned and weighs about 120#

torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

pressure tuned ds. PC controlled
7B5702B2-3E4A-4E3D-9718-B31C35D58546.jpeg
7B5702B2-3E4A-4E3D-9718-B31C35D58546.jpeg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 3730 times

Valery

Post by Valery »

This is a doublet lens 300mm F/7 with a huge spherochromatism at any wave length except the one it was optimized for.

One should be really crazy to pay 6-x digits money for such a telescope.

Righ now we making professional level 16" solar reflection telescope for one professional observatory in Radopy mountains (2100m above sea level) and this telescope will have full unwanted heat control and simultaneous images registration at four wave legths with the cost less than $50000. Also three telescopes with 14" apertures. And three instruments 12" and two 14" are already in use at amateur prices.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Valery wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:02 pm This is a doublet lens 300mm F/7 with a huge spherochromatism at any wave length except the one it was optimized for.

One should be really crazy to pay 6-x digits money for such a telescope.

Righ now we making professional level 16" solar reflection telescope for one professional observatory in Radopy mountains (2100m above sea level) and this telescope will have full unwanted heat control and simultaneous images registration at four wave legths with the cost less than $50000. Also three telescopes with 14" apertures. And three instruments 12" and two 14" are already in use at amateur prices.

Valery
I totally agree Valery.

For amateurs the 300mm Lunt is a gimmick scope. 6 figures price tag is crazy! I've no doubt some will be sold though.

I hope you will be able to trickle down some of the concepts and ideas involved in this build you are doing in the Radopy mountains. Simultaneous image registration at 4 wavelengths - c'mon, tell us more! ;)

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Piemme
The Sun?
The Sun?

Lunt monster

Post by Piemme »

Hi,
anybody knows something about this Lunt monster? Just introduced at NEAF 2019...
It’s a special refractor, I don’t know exactly. :shock:
Attachments
Lunt solar megarefractor
Lunt solar megarefractor
7A8FF8CE-6DB9-4326-B9D9-18F56EE306D3.jpeg (70.94 KiB) Viewed 3675 times

bart1805
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by bart1805 »

What a monster. Designed by Massimo Riccardi, known from Officina Stellare. The telescope will be great, wat is interesting is what the size of the etalon will be.

skyhawk
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by skyhawk »

I don't see why it would be 6 figures, my guess £25k - £35k

Just for info, if I ever come over as "blunt" or upset it is not intentional, I am AUTISTIC, I have Aspergers, and ADHD, Autism, so my apologies if I ever sound, unintentionally confrontational. Thank you

Esprit 120mm triplet refractor
Celestron Evolution Edge HD 8"
72mm Ed Skywatcher for Solar

SkyTee 2
Sky-Watcher SolarQuest
Gitzo Systematic Series 5

ASI 178MM
Daystar Quark Ha
WO Binoviewers
Many eyepieces 2"
MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Hi all...

I saw this scope at NEAF and it looked odd to me...still does in the pics. Is it me, or is the scope 'flat' on the table (looks like the objective through focuser is not centred on the optical axis)?

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
Christopher
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Christopher »

Brian
I believe they relaxed the struts so it would lie flatter. I wouldn’t want be around to see it roll off its perch :o

This is a one of a kind scope designed by a renowned optician. It belongs at 8,000 feet altitude in New Mexico. I’d love to have a peak. :beanie:

Christopher

"Our imagination is stretched to the utmost, not, as in fiction, to imagine things which are not really there, but just to comprehend those things which 'are' there.". -Feynman
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I don't know if people have seen it, CN is saying a price of $70k for the single stack version and $90k for the double stack version...

george9
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by george9 »

Yes, I got an advertising email from Lunt with the prices and posted on CN. Not in the email but 5-inch etalons built on very thick plates so no obstructions, circular polarizer to reduce reflections. I won't be spending $90K, but very fun. Hope to look through it next year at NEAF. Too bad it wasn't quite ready because the seeing would have supported it on Saturday. Can you buy $81K in gift cards?

George

Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Here's the skinny from Lunt:

https://mailchi.mp/luntsolarsystems/joi ... 657ad57360

Intriguing for the ability to do "full disc" imaging - which indeed would require very large etalons to keep the Jacquinot spot large enough... Also interesting that from above they are employing a CP between DS etalons instead of "filter glass" as with the LS80, etc.

Given the cost, this seems it would have "research grade" etalons of very high finesse as would be required for a research level institution. It therefore might not be useful to make a cost comparison to the consumer grade etalons typically available to the amateur community and used with larger aperture instruments.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Thanks for the link Bob.

Using CPs between the etalons, I think they've been reading posts here on SC :lol: It's a bold claim it is the worlds best solar telescope, it's only 'good' if you are able to use it on a regular basis, and I think with 300mm aperture the ceiling of seeing conditions are going to be the biggest caveat for it.

christian viladrich

Post by christian viladrich »

For an instrument like this, it is strange they didn't use an aspheric singlet. The objective would have been twice lighter.

A slight correction regarding "the largest solar teelscope" :
- Valery is still having the lead with his C14 as the largest "Ha" amateur telescope ;-)
- Regarding white light solar observation, my friend Serge Deconihout has still the lead with his 435 mm refractor.

Christian Viladrich
Co-author of "Planetary Astronomy"
http://planetary-astronomy.com/
Editor of "Solar Astronomy"
http://www.astronomiesolaire.com/
Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Just visited with Brian at Lunt where this telescope is located... an impressive instrument when seen up close and personal.

Objective has ERF coatings.

Middle section has a large tilted precision polished optical window with additional ERF coatings.

Open tube design in order to prevent build-up of heat and tube currents. Carbon fiber truss tubes to maintain accurate spacings.

Third ERF at the front of the end section ahead of the etalon module.

Internal double stacked 100 mm unobstructed etalons in separate pressure tuned cavities, separated by a professional quality (i.e. expensive) one - off custom made circular polarizer: collimator - etalon - window - CP - window - etalon - refocusing lens.

Apparently a state-of-the-art statement and research grade instrument - definitely not a "consumer grade" recreational solar instrument... Unfortunately it was not set up for viewing through. While insanely expensive, you have to hand it to Lunt for building such an instrument - you don't see this level of effort from any other solar OEM.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Bob Yoesle wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:28 pm Just visited with Brian at Lunt where this telescope is located... an impressive instrument when seen up close and personal.

Objective has ERF coatings.

Middle section has a large tilted precision polished optical window with additional ERF coatings.

Open tube design in order to prevent build-up of heat and tube currents. Carbon fiber truss tubes to maintain accurate spacings.

Third ERF at the front of the end section ahead of the etalon module.

Internal double stacked 100 mm unobstructed etalons in separate pressure tuned cavities, separated by a professional quality (i.e. expensive) one - off custom made circular polarizer: collimator - etalon - window - CP - window - etalon - refocusing lens.

Apparently a state-of-the-art statement and research grade instrument - definitely not a "consumer grade" recreational solar instrument... Unfortunately it was not set up for viewing through. While insanely expensive, you have to hand it to Lunt for building such an instrument - you don't see this level of effort from any other solar OEM.
Impressief and excellent rapport Bob.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be