Help me with my first mod

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
Gingerfish
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Help me with my first mod

Post by Gingerfish »

Ok boys and girls, let's talk modding! :D

I'm planning to mod my Lunt 50 over the winter. Hey, you got to keep your mind busy in these covid times!

Seeing isn't fantastic where I live, so I'm thinking a 80-100mm mod. At this aperture, I seem to get away with just using an internal 2" IR/UV cut filter? I have both the Baader 7nm and 35nm H-alpha filter, if that is better/makes any difference.

OK, let's talk focal ratio. How close do I have to be to F7? I have seen people using F5-F10 without much trouble. I already own a Esprit 80/F5 apo, so it would be nice to be able to use that (can a triplet be damaged by heat?)!

Going from a 80mm F7 to a 102mm F7 means a "big" jump in size and bulk. So then part of me is going; "go for a 152/900" :shock: But I think that is out of the question for now. Those front mounted ERF's are expensive!!!! :cry:

Right now I am looking at a non-destructive mod, like the one seen here:

https://imagesofoursun.wordpress.com/eq ... -achromat/

BTW, is there a special distance I need to put the IR/UV filter at? In the mod above, the filter is close. But I have seen other mods where the filter is further up the tube.

So mod gurus, hit me with some knowledge! :D

Clear sunny skies!
Chris

Lunt LS50THa
Lunt "Luntair" Altair 102ED