Radio Detected Orionids 2020

I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
Carbon60
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Radio Detected Orionids 2020

Post by Carbon60 »

Hi all,

Here's a plot of radio detected meteors through October and into November 2020 spanning the entire Orionid meteor shower which peaked on/around October 21st. This period also includes the Draconid meteor shower, which peaked 8th/9th October. Note also the secondary uptick in hourly rate after the Orionid peak. Apparently these minor surges are to be expected. There's also something more spurious which occurred on November 6th late in the afternoon where the hourly rate increased significantly. This is likely to be some form of interference from an unknown source (maybe electrical equipment being operated somewhere close by). I checked other meteor radio data on the web and this was not reported anywhere else, so it is unlikely to be a real event related to meteors.
Draconids_Orionids_October 2020.jpg
Draconids_Orionids_October 2020.jpg (229.29 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
We should start to see the effects from the next shower (Leonids) which peak mid-November.

Thanks for looking.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Radio Detected Orionids 2020

Post by Montana »

Well done Stuart, this is great :bow considering the bad weather you have transformed meteor watching :) I was going to ask about the huge spike but you answered that in the text. Could fireworks do anything?

Alexandra

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Montana wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:28 pm Well done Stuart, this is great :bow considering the bad weather you have transformed meteor watching :) I was going to ask about the huge spike but you answered that in the text. Could fireworks do anything?

Alexandra
Hi Alexandra,

No, fireworks can not do anything as this is not visual unless fireworks do create radio waves ... but i have not heard about that.

Radio Meteor Observation is 100% based on reflected radio waves and not optical ...

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hi Stu,

At what hour did you get that huge amount of echoes on November 7th in the morning ?

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

rsfoto wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:48 pm
Montana wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:28 pm Well done Stuart, this is great :bow considering the bad weather you have transformed meteor watching :) I was going to ask about the huge spike but you answered that in the text. Could fireworks do anything?

Alexandra
Hi Alexandra,

No, fireworks can not do anything as this is not visual unless fireworks do create radio waves ... but i have not heard about that.

Radio Meteor Observation is 100% based on reflected radio waves and not optical ...
Hi Rainer,
I think Alexandra was thinking about the ionised exhaust from, for example, firework rockets which might produce an effect from a physics standpoint, so it’s a good idea, but I think they just don’t get high enough to have any effect in this instance.

Radio meteor detector.
Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

rsfoto wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:49 pm Hi Stu,

At what hour did you get that huge amount of echoes on November 7th in the morning ?
Hi Rainer,

The spike came in the afternoon of the 6th around 16:00 UT for maybe 45 minutes.

Stu.

Radio meteor detector.
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

Curious as I am I made a search for firework rockets and air ionizing

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/soun ... /faqs.html

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Carbon60 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:18 pm
rsfoto wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:49 pm Hi Stu,

Hi Rainer,

The spike came in the afternoon of the 6th around 16:00 UT for maybe 45 minutes.

Stu.
Hi Stu,

Do you have some screenshots saved by Spectrum Lab ?

I am fighting with another problem which also gives me sometimes at certain hours of the day a huge amount of echoes and I have already found out what it is and I am working on it in order to get rid of those false positives.

This was possible due to the fact that we have two stations here in my town and while my friends station after installing the Bandpass filter has a nice logical curve of meteor echoes mine does not look like that and looking at his SDR# waterfall and comparing it to mine we have found out that I have many ghost echoes of RF 174.31 frequency and he in downtown due to high RFI Radio Frequency Interference does not have them. So noise is something good for him and low noise is something bad for me ... I am 70 meters higher then he is ... I am also using a Bandpass filter with even a narrower bandwidth.¿ perhaps I should get id of it and let pass more noise = RFI ?

In a week or two we will have a third RMO station here and then we can work it out better depending on where we will put the third station.

All this is very interesting and is a new thing we have learned.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

A good record of activity Stu!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!