Deciding which capture frames to keep

The place for all your solar software; capture, stacking, post processing, ancillaries etc. It's all up for discussion here!
DavidP
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Deciding which capture frames to keep

Post by DavidP »

When using Autostakkert, I’m unsure of how to decide how many or what percentage of frames to keep. It appears that the quality graph shows relative quality and not quantitative based on some standard
I’m wondering how decisions are made. Also. How many frames are “enough” or even typical?
Say I’ve got 800 frames taken over 60 seconds and 25% of the frames appear to be above the top 25% quality mark vs similar situation but where only 10% of my frames are above the top 25% quality graph.
On a related note. Oh I purchased an Airy Labs Solar scintillation monitor. Is there a way I can use this in the decision making process?

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Deciding which capture frames to keep

Post by Montana »

I'm probably not much help, I standardise my processing by capturing 1000 frame videos and always stacking 5%. I'm sure Mark can go into depth about using the quality graph but my quality graph is always rubbish and makes no sense so I ignore it. The 5% always seems to work in my system but that is probably wrong in other peoples eyes.

Yes with the SSM you can connect it to FireCapture and set a quality you want Firecapture to start capturing. It will then only capture during these moments of good seeing. I think the software is in the Library section, I will have a look.

Alexandra

DavidP
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by DavidP »

Thanks Alexandra. I was won wondering if the SSM can be used to quantify the quality of my frames such that I would have an idea of what the 25% or 50% bars on my quality graph meant.

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hello David,

Maybe you could try to match the SSM log file (either from Airylab or my software) to the frames from FireCapture. Best would be in that case to capture in SER format, where every frame will have a good timestamp. Difficulty will be to match it with the "sorted" frames in AS!3. Probably some "juggling" will be needed to extraxct the time stamps from the SER file. (Don't know if you can output the sort orders of the frames in AS!!3 to do some matching, would need to look that up)

Have you seen this video from Emil (AS!3)? explains a lot, little bit slow but very good) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIjXmRh ... =emb_title

If you want to have a look at my SSSM software: https://github.com/paul-db/SolarMonitor ... /V01.02.05

Regards,

Paul

None of my posts or images may be shared on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media other than SolarChat without permission.
rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by rsfoto »

DavidP wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:26 pm When using Autostakkert, I’m unsure of how to decide how many or what percentage of frames to keep. It appears that the quality graph shows relative quality and not quantitative based on some standard
I’m wondering how decisions are made. Also. How many frames are “enough” or even typical?
Say I’ve got 800 frames taken over 60 seconds and 25% of the frames appear to be above the top 25% quality mark vs similar situation but where only 10% of my frames are above the top 25% quality graph.
On a related note. Oh I purchased an Airy Labs Solar scintillation monitor. Is there a way I can use this in the decision making process?
Hi David,

Welcome to the world of Sun imaging.

IMHO there is no universal recipe and the best way to find out is to make different amounts and ways of processing and you will find what best suits you.

Sound interesting in letting the SSM meter to decide when to image but you will get a lot of videos and then choose which one will be more work.

My experience of the last 12 years doing Sun imaging is to invest some time and see what happens on the screen and from looking at that you will see how this behaves and 100% is the problem with Hot air turbulence = seeing. I have seen that it comes in periodic waves and adapted my time and frame rate to it in order to get a few cycles. That is how I do it. I think it is KISS.

Rainer

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°