Smart Phone magnetometer

I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Smart Phone magnetometer

Post by RodAstro »

Hi

This has probably been asked before but has any one used a old smartphone as a magnetometer.
I have had a look on the net and it appears several people seem to say it is possible.
I was just thinking that lots of us have old smartphones lying around so you could put them on the charger and run them 24/7 and install them in a fixed position as you would a normal magnetometer.
There seems to be plenty of apps that are available, one I found is done for education so no ads and it records the results and sends them to you as and email over wifi so no need for a sim card.

Last time I did this was about 35 years ago using a magnet suspended on a bit of cotton in a glass jar, firstly reading of a degrees scale and later using a Holts detector to a meter to get readings. Did it as an aurora detector, not much talk then of CMEs as no one had a Ha filter then.

Just thought I would put this out there and see if anyone else has tied it and what the problems were.

Cheers Rod