3D prints to assist with daytime rough polar align

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
barnstorm
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

3D prints to assist with daytime rough polar align

Post by barnstorm »

A compass will get you pointed to MAGNETIC north but not true north, nor the celestial pole. It also does not provide altitude information. Sky@Night ran a story about using a smartphone and a star finder app during the day to do rough alignment but that has issues also.

Some looking around on Thingiverse (online library for 3D printing models) and I found two possible aids. Both allow you to mount your cell phone to a Vixen dovetail mount and use the PS Align Pro App to polar align your scope! The first print also allows you to use a red-dot pointer and the PoleMaster camera or a phone so I printed that to try today. The other one only holds a phone BUT gets the phone away from the metal of the mount for perhaps a more accurate magnetometer reading?

I set the rig up in my living room today and even in the house my iPhone 7 seemed to get a good magnetometer reading and allowed me to do a quick and easy alignment. I can't verify how good until I actually get a sunny day or clear night, however. This was crazy easy and if it works better than my Compass - One Star Align - Slew to Sun - Adjust mount - Sync procedure I will be happy.

If you want to give this a try yourself here are the Thingiverse links:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3642636
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4133183

IMG_0668.jpg
IMG_0668.jpg (77.26 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
ffa30b84445caeffc7c1381ab3a7363e_preview_featured.jpg
ffa30b84445caeffc7c1381ab3a7363e_preview_featured.jpg (92.74 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
b32b5f31c2e2d855878e7522b353141f_preview_featured.JPG
b32b5f31c2e2d855878e7522b353141f_preview_featured.JPG (22.91 KiB) Viewed 3264 times
_DSC1818.JPG
_DSC1818.JPG (32.6 KiB) Viewed 3264 times

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: 3D prints to assist with daytime rough polar align

Post by marktownley »

Nice bit of printing, thanks for sharing!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

Yes 3D printing makes our life easier. I got a 3D printer two months ago because a friend wanted to motorize his telescope focuser and so we ventured into this new technology.
The best of all is that before printing you have to learn to draw the parts :mrgreen: and that is not easy but with time one can learn it.
Below a drawing of the motor holder and an image of this same part printed and working on the telescope.
Now when I need a part I do not need to wait for the metal milling mill because instantly I get my parts (well not instantly but maybe a few hours later)
I print all in PETG plastic. Much better then PLA.

Soporte_Enfocador_Zeuzmac.png
Soporte_Enfocador_Zeuzmac.png (47.53 KiB) Viewed 3232 times
fn1.JPG
fn1.JPG (194.24 KiB) Viewed 3232 times

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by thesmiths »

I've had Polar Scope Align Pro for years and never even realised it had a Daytime mode! Thanks for the "heads up"!

Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

rsfoto wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:38 pm Hi,

Yes 3D printing makes our life easier. I got a 3D printer two months ago because a friend wanted to motorize his telescope focuser and so we ventured into this new technology.
The best of all is that before printing you have to learn to draw the parts :mrgreen: and that is not easy but with time one can learn it.
Below a drawing of the motor holder and an image of this same part printed and working on the telescope.
Now when I need a part I do not need to wait for the metal milling mill because instantly I get my parts (well not instantly but maybe a few hours later)

fn1.JPG
Hi Rsfoto,
I am also trying to learn 3D model creation and printing a .STL file. I thought it might be cheaper if you are only making the occasional part to use a 3D printing service ? I wonder how much a 3D printer would cost, plus materials ? I am trying to get a part for Vixen Polarie but find the postage costs more than the part !!! (shapeways.com).

Thanks.
Magnus

Solar: H-alpha": Quark Chromosphere filter; Baader white light filters
Scopes: Altair Astro Travel ED70mm (F 420mm, D=70mm);; Skywatcher 90mm (F 910mm D=90mm); GSO focuser;;Altair Astro 60mm guidescope (D=60mm,F=225mm)
Cameras: ASI120mm-S,ASI174mm
Mount: SW HEQ5 Pro, SW EQ3 Pro Synscan (SW = Skywatcher),Vixen Polarie tracker (portable setup)
Accessory: SW Auto-focuser
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Boso36 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:28 am
rsfoto wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:38 pm Hi,

fn1.JPG
Hi Rsfoto,
I am also trying to learn 3D model creation and printing a .STL file. I thought it might be cheaper if you are only making the occasional part to use a 3D printing service ? I wonder how much a 3D printer would cost, plus materials ? I am trying to get a part for Vixen Polarie but find the postage costs more than the part !!! (shapeways.com).

Thanks.
Magnus
Hi Magnus,

Well that depends on where you live and what possibilities you have to get parts. I used to make a lot of custom parts from Aluminum while I was living in Mexico City and had a good machine milling but now in the province there is a problem. On the other side not everything can be made with a 3D printer.

Yes a printer and everything else you need for sure costs much more then a single piece. I am printing now since September 11 and have found out that the printing material is finicky and a lot of trials are necessary until you get the right fit. Plastic has its own life.

On the other side apart from making parts for my telescopes now I find that I need here and there some little parts like hangers, plugs, etc. and so i just sit down, design it and print it and voilá I have the part.

Also you will start printing nonsense for the Grandchildren etc. :lol:

OK, I am retired and have time and it is fun to see how the pieces come out and either they are pretty, nonsense or you can really use them for what you designed them.

I just made a big mural and needed some hangers for the wooden frames, so I designed them and they work perfect.

That is a Hubble image

Triptico.jpg
Triptico.jpg (36.93 KiB) Viewed 2999 times

Another part I made is a wire straightener as I am going to build some mobile with hummingbirds I designed and printed ...

wirestraightener.jpg
wirestraightener.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 2998 times
Colibri.JPG
Colibri.JPG (215.71 KiB) Viewed 2998 times

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

Hi Rsfoto,

Yes I see what you mean. You have lots of possible applications of 3D printing, have time and find it interesting - good reason to own a 3D printer. I will try and learn 3D modelling and STL files and see if I can make things of my own quickly and get them to do things without paying ridiculous prices...

Magnus

Scopes: Altair Astro Travel ED70mm (F 420mm, D=70mm);; Skywatcher 90mm (F 910mm D=90mm); GSO focuser;;Altair Astro 60mm guidescope (D=60mm,F=225mm)
Mount: SW HEQ5 Pro, SW EQ3 Pro Synscan (SW = Skywatcher),Vixen Polarie tracker (portable setup)
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Boso36 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:30 pm Hi Rsfoto,

Yes I see what you mean. You have lots of possible applications of 3D printing, have time and find it interesting - good reason to own a 3D printer. I will try and learn 3D modelling and STL files and see if I can make things of my own quickly and get them to do things without paying ridiculous prices...

Magnus
What do you need ?

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

Hello Rainer,
I am looking for an adaptor for my VIxen polarie - to fit an ordinary polarscope (EQ3 or EQ5 polarscope)
See this adaptor:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/BTPPG ... or-polarie

The white adaptor is what I could use. However, I cannot see a screw thread on this adaptor, so this would only fit by push-fit and friction.

I could give you some of the dimensions, but it is hard to measure on the Vixen Polarie.

The item could cost 40 USD (item is 23.39 USD but after postage it is 42.71 US Dollars (shipping to UK).

Thanks.
Magnus

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hi Magnus,

Look here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4679141

Now find somebody with a printer near you ... and give a tip to the designer :lol:

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

Dear Rainer,

Thats fantastic ! Thanks very much. So how do I get this .sti file printed out ?
Do I give this to thingiverse or another 3D service ?

Thanks

Magnus

Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

Hi Rainer,
I found Craftcloud online and have ordered an item which cost 4 gbp plus another small cost for postage, not bad at all.

Thank you !

Magnus