H-alpha and CaH SHG comparison

I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

H-alpha and CaH SHG comparison

Post by thesmiths »

It was sunny today but it turned out there was far too much air turbulence to do nice SHG imaging. Nevertheless, I was able to start with CaH and then change the grating angle and refocus the optics to capture a few H-alpha images. It's not often that I've been able to capture both wavelengths in the same imaging session. The setup was the same as before viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34047.

H-alpha (top) and CaH (bottom), SHG, 28 Nov 2021
H-alpha (top) and CaH (bottom), SHG, 28 Nov 2021
125805_122109_clahe_1000.jpg (111.83 KiB) Viewed 623 times
H-alpha (top) and CaH (bottom), SHG, protuberances
H-alpha (top) and CaH (bottom), SHG, protuberances
125805_122109_protus_1000.jpg (46.26 KiB) Viewed 623 times

The H-alpha data was taken with an exposure of 4ms, gain of 95, scanning speed of 10x (this should have been higher; the Y/X ratio was 1.36). The CaH data was taken with an exposure of 10ms, gain of 157 and scanning speed of 8x. There are small regions of good resolution when the air was stable. But since it takes around 15s to complete a scan, the few seconds of stability was not enough to cover a full image.

It's interesting to see that the H-alpha and CaH prominences look completely different in structure. I had not noticed before how different they could be.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: H-alpha and CaH SHG comparison

Post by Montana »

Terrific comparisons Doug :bow :bow :bow every week you show something new and interesting :hamster: I'm guessing the CaK emission and Halpha emission are in different areas of the prominence. I think Stephen from his studies found that only the most energic proms seem to emit in the CaK, maybe these are the most active parts and the tree trunks so visible in Halpha are actually quite stable? no idea really, just guessing.

Alexandra

thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by thesmiths »

I think Stephen from his studies found that only the most energic proms seem to emit in the CaK
Hi Alexandra: yes, I think the H-alpha to Calcium prom comparison is worth more study. I think the Calcium proms are much easier to capture with the SHG due to the narrow bandwidth. The Hydrogen proms are easier with a normal filter. I'll try that comparison next time. I have a slightly improved Calcium setup I'm hoping to test, weather permitting.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Very impressive results Douglas!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!