Wanted - LS40 or LS50THa

VENDORS WELCOME! Please, only solar equipment.
svetimas
The Sun?
The Sun?

Wanted - LS40 or LS50THa

Post by svetimas »

Hello,

looking for LS40 Ha or LS50THa with B600 so if anyone looking for a new home for their scope - PM ;)

Might consider LS60MT if it will fit my budget.

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Wanted - LS40 or LS50THa

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

The Lunt 40mm Ha is of course now available direct from Lunt or a suitable retailer to you.
https://luntsolarsystems.com/product/lu ... telescope/ and with "Free shipping" is an excellent price...

The Lunt 50mm Ha scope would be a little or more better for visual and imaging purposes as:-
https://luntsolarsystems.com/product/50 ... telescope/ shows and still with a good price and that "Free shipping."

The 60mm version is certainly one of the best for its' extra objective size and has been around in various forms for well over 12-years. Mine is in fact 11-years old without the pressure-tuning and works fine with its' BF1200 filter, as well as its' Double Stack/DS...

Our Stephen Ramsden of SolarChat fame - has reviewed the first one in 2008 as:-
http://www.stephenramsden.com/solarastr ... AMSDEN.pdf and although the more recent versions include night-viewing/imaging capability, the more you can afford to pay, the better the end-result for both viewing and imaging.
You probably have already seen many results on SolarChat over the past 10+ years in the archives...

So with the need to understand each scopes capabilities and also whether you would also likely want to use the SolarScope for night-time use is a must in the first instance.

Personally I would always normally buy from brand-new with a warranty/guarantee, but as long as you are happy that whichever second-hand source is reliable and has not been modified and is in excellent condition along with all its' accessories (including transport case) then the decision is yours.

Lunt service (if ever required) is excellent along with their own advice too..

If its' a matter of waiting a little-longer for cash-flow for a new version, then well-worth that wait, but still enjoy and learn about from this SolarChat web-site...

BEST WISHES
Terry

svetimas
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by svetimas »

Hello,

thank you for such a detail advice. As I'm from EU 60mm Lunt is almost twice the price than in US so I am skipping this option as buying new here. If there would be no good opportunities to buy any used Lunt the new 40mm or 50mm are in my budget range. As they have not such a big price gap I'm still haven't decided witch would suit me better. I'm leaning to sacrificing aperture and taking 40mm instead of 50mm as it is very light and would be useful as a grab and go option with my camera tripod. Thought I haven't found the weight of 50mm.

Many eras ago I had a chance to look through double stacked 60mm... But suppose the smaller versions should suit me too, especially after seeing what photos people take here with 40mm :)

For the night sky I have ED80, thought buying solar wedge or Quark at thirst but reading forums I understood that with my luck Quark wont be a good option to me :)

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Hi there,
I understand your reasoning. Of course grab & go purposes would usually favour the lighter 40mm and even with a camera-tripod, could answer your requirements - very well.
The weight of the 50mm should be on the Lunt website.

I also have both an ED80 and an 80ED (same but different make) used for WL and Sodium with a Quark. There is some concerns that Ha Quarks may have a problem from new, but that doesn't seem to apply to my Sodium Quark...Haven't had much chance of Lunar or planetary etc., use over the last month or so...

Getting (eventually) a Solar Wedge is a bonus for better WL surface detail than say Baadar film.

Good Luck on finding a suitable item.

Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Order directly from Lunt in the USA, I think it is not very expensive to ship by mail. Last year, Lunt50 came to me (to Russia) for $ 120 (it was regular mail, not UPS, DHL, etc.). Write to them and ask them for the cost of delivery.

Ivan

svetimas
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by svetimas »

Thanks for the tip, I'm considering this option.

After judging my needs I've decided to go with Lunt 40mm because the weight and portability should matter a lot to my case of use. As I will try to take some images time to time (I have a moded 550d Canon. Yes, I know dslr is not the best choice :) ) I have to chose between B600 and B1200 filter. If I understand correctly choosing B1200 filter would give 4mm black space all around the Sun witch would be ~4mm?

I've seen people here on forums made LS50 mods, practically taking its etalon and fitting in ~F7 refractors as it has converging/diverging lenses built in. So in theory it should be possible to use 40mm etalon with converging/diverging lenses (as I understand telecentric system like https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/t ... ngth).html can not be used with air spaced etalons) and be used with ED80 witch is 600mm and B1200 might be investment in the future? I suppose it sounds a bit too optimistic :)

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

svetimas wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:48 pm So in theory it should be possible to use 40mm etalon with converging/diverging lenses (as I understand telecentric system like https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/t ... ngth).html can not be used with air spaced etalons) and be used with ED80 witch is 600mm and B1200 might be investment in the future? I suppose it sounds a bit too optimistic :)
No, i'm afraid not! definitely optimistic there. You wont find the converging / diverging lenses you would need commercially.

I would get the B1200.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

I must agree with Mark's suggestion about the BF1200 filter, as known to be better than the 600 for imaging purposes whether through an astro-imaging camera or your excellent Canon 550d...

What you can afford and/or possibly to await until such... (maybe even a part-present or whole-pressy - even) !!

Best Wishes
Terry

svetimas
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by svetimas »

LS40 have arrived, just need to wait a week for rain to finish :)

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

That sounds normal as far as new-gear and the weather is concerned.

The use of live weather-satellite imagery and weather charts of one sort or another from the web, may help you to find a suitable time..

CLEAR SKIES
Terry