AstroBin vs Flkr

Jordan Konisky
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

AstroBin vs Flkr

Post by Jordan Konisky »

I am currently using Flikr as my host for loading images to SolarChatForum. This is proving rather expensive for the few images that I store on Flikr.
I am considering switching over to AstroBin and was wondering about its compatibility with SolarChatForum. Are there any issues that I should be aware of in using AstroBin rather than Flikr for my uploads to SCF? Thanks for any advice.

Jordan -
SkyWatcher ED100 Refractor with Diamond Steeltrack Crawford Focuser
Celestron CG4 Equatorial Mount
Daystar Quark H-Alpha Chromosphere
Lunt CaK B1800 Filter Module
Lunt White Light Solar Wedge
ZWO ASI174MM, ZWOASI1600MM Cameras
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: AstroBin vs Flkr

Post by Montana »

The only problem with astrobin is that the link is always a tiny thumbnail, it is impossible to display the full image in Solarchat. The thumbnail takes you to the link where viewers can see it more closely but you can't display it in the forum. I have no idea why they don't set the thumbnail bigger than 3 cm for display, it is so annoying. This makes it impossible to display in the subject box and also impossible for SPOD :(

How expensive is Flickr? my 2 years is up in February and I haven't paid the new owner yet ;)

Alexandra

Jordan Konisky
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Jordan Konisky »

Alexandra,

I was attracted to the annotation features of AstroBin, but if it does not work well for SCF, I will stay with Flikr. Price is really not an issue.

Best wishes for the new year.

Jordan

Jordan -
SkyWatcher ED100 Refractor with Diamond Steeltrack Crawford Focuser
Celestron CG4 Equatorial Mount
Daystar Quark H-Alpha Chromosphere
Lunt CaK B1800 Filter Module
Lunt White Light Solar Wedge
ZWO ASI174MM, ZWOASI1600MM Cameras
torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

Montana wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:48 pm The only problem with astrobin is that the link is always a tiny thumbnail, it is impossible to display the full image in Solarchat. The thumbnail takes you to the link where viewers can see it more closely but you can't display it in the forum. I have no idea why they don't set the thumbnail bigger than 3 cm for display, it is so annoying. This makes it impossible to display in the subject box and also impossible for SPOD :(

How expensive is Flickr? my 2 years is up in February and I haven't paid the new owner yet ;)

Alexandra
I am in the process of transitioning from astrobin to Flkr for the exact reason you mention (thumbnail) and requiring the viewer to click the thumbnail to view the image.

rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

I was looking at the cost of Flickr and compared it to shared hosting with your own domain name.

¿ what advantage do I have with Flickr ?

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

None Rainer if your host works well in the forum which I think it does :)

Alexandra

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Thanks and so I ask why do people subscribe to Flickr if a shared hosting gives far more advantages ...

After the first year the rate rises to US $ 9.99 per month on a yearly basis and you get 50GB of space.

There are for sure other hosters with cheaper rates but I use this one since more then 13 years and it works great ...

Not forgetting that you get a own domain name easily and you just need a ftp software for uploding your images and many ftp software are FOC ...

IMHO

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-sh ... g-services

hosting.JPG
hosting.JPG (39.29 KiB) Viewed 2675 times

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Remember that a once (or maybe tice a year) donation of say 100-USDlrs (more or less) would go a long way to achieving world-wide domination of the Solar-side of imaging via the Internet as that forum called SOLARCHAT with it's tutorials and so much help, advice and assistance readily available from those in the know...

Why not surf the web for https://solarchatforum.com to find out more ??

Yes there is a bit of a limitation to image sizes to 2-Megabytes per image, but they could be on SOLARCHAT for even longer than possible some other websites... (In any case there is so little difference to any Solar-image between a 20Mb image - if compressed to JPEG format to below 2Mb..)

H.N.Y.
Terry

siovene
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by siovene »

torsinadoc wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:02 pm I am in the process of transitioning from astrobin to Flkr for the exact reason you mention (thumbnail) and requiring the viewer to click the thumbnail to view the image.
Montana wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:48 pm The only problem with astrobin is that the link is always a tiny thumbnail, it is impossible to display the full image in Solarchat. The thumbnail takes you to the link where viewers can see it more closely but you can't display it in the forum. I have no idea why they don't set the thumbnail bigger than 3 cm for display, it is so annoying.
Hey,
Salvatore here, the owner of AstroBin.

This sounds like like a low-hanging fruit that I could easily implement, I never realized it would be an issue for some :)

So just to be clear, you would like the Share menu on AstroBin to offer you some BBCode that you can copy-paste to a forum like this one, with the option to choose upon multiple sizes (say small / medium / large)?

Thanks for letting me know!
Salvatore

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Absolutely!! :hamster:

It needs to be BB code so that the image can be displayed properly in the forum post (not a thumbnail). If the image needs to be viewed full size then the viewer can click the image and go back through to Astrobin, but it is good to have the image displayed properly in the post so that it can be used for the SPOD on the front page etc :)

Alexandra

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thanks Salvatore for coming-in with that assistance in allowing us to see the full-size image on Solarchat,, rather than the thumbnail images.
If you can do that, it would be great...

It certainly would benefit both Astrobin and SolarChat users.

Cheers and H.N.Y.
Terry

torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

siovene wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:34 pm
torsinadoc wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:02 pm I am in the process of transitioning from astrobin to Flkr for the exact reason you mention (thumbnail) and requiring the viewer to click the thumbnail to view the image.
Montana wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:48 pm The only problem with astrobin is that the link is always a tiny thumbnail, it is impossible to display the full image in Solarchat. The thumbnail takes you to the link where viewers can see it more closely but you can't display it in the forum. I have no idea why they don't set the thumbnail bigger than 3 cm for display, it is so annoying.
Hey,

This sounds like like a low-hanging fruit that I could easily implement, I never realized it would be an issue for some :)

So just to be clear, you would like the Share menu on AstroBin to offer you some BBCode that you can copy-paste to a forum like this one, with the option to choose upon multiple sizes (say small / medium / large)?

Salvatore
Yes, that would be great

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hey,

Salvatore
Hi,

I was trying to find out the differencesof the different memberships. Did not find anywhere a comparison chart ...

Where can I see it ?

Thanks

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

rsfoto wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:44 am
Hey,

Salvatore
Hi,

I was trying to find out the differencesof the different memberships. Did not find anywhere a comparison chart ...

Where can I see it ?

Thanks
https://app.astrobin.com/subscriptions/ ... 1631981474

siovene
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by siovene »

Hi everybody,

ok cool, thank you for confirming!

This is pretty straight forward to implement, so I will add it to my list with top priority, and expect it by the end of next week!

Please keep an eye on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram where I announce new features just as they are deployed.

rsfoto wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:44 am I was trying to find out the differencesof the different memberships. Did not find anywhere a comparison chart ...

Where can I see it ?
It's on this page (please scroll down):

https://welcome.astrobin.com/pricing

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Absolutely brilliant!!

:bow2 :bow2

Alexandra

torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

Montana wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:51 am Absolutely brilliant!!

:bow2 :bow2

Alexandra
I will try and test it when it is set up (images and animation)

GreatAttractor
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by GreatAttractor »

Montana wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:48 pm The only problem with astrobin is that the link is always a tiny thumbnail, it is impossible to display the full image in Solarchat. The thumbnail takes you to the link where viewers can see it more closely but you can't display it in the forum.
You can actually link directly to the full-sized Astrobin image. Just open it in Astrobin, right-click the image, select "Copy Image Link" (or similar, depending on the browser), and paste in a SolarChat post surrounded by [­img], [­/img] tags.

Here's an example reference to one of my images using Astrobin's "Share/Forums" function:

and the direct link method as described:

It also works with animated GIFs.

My software:
Stackistry — an open-source cross-platform image stacker
ImPPG — stack post-processing and animation alignment
My images

SW Mak-Cass 127, ATM Hα scopes (90 mm, 200 mm), Lunt LS50THa, ATM SSM, ATM Newt 300/1500 mm, PGR Chameleon 3 mono (ICX445)
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks Filip :hamster: I'm glad you solved this, I just tried with Steve's images and it works :hamster:

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

For linking Astrobin images in the forum

- Go to full size image, right click 'Copy image address'
- Use Full Editor & preview message box
In the bar above the text box is a little 'picture box' click it and you get [img ], [/img ] insert copied address here in between them

I swear I tried this before a few months ago and it didn't work but it does now :)

Alexandra

Ibbo

Post by Ibbo »

I will try it.

It did not work when I asked in Nov (?)

torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

Here is an animation

torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

IT WORKS!!!!!

siovene
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by siovene »

This feature request has been implemented and deployed.

Thank you for requesting it!

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thanks vm Salvatore.
That will help so much.

Terry