Here be Dinosaurs

Lets brighten up peoples live with all those lovely pictures of the world around us!

Moderator: Montana

Tigger
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Here be Dinosaurs

Post by Tigger »

Hi, Its been cloudy here in SE England for over a month now and it got me thinking (always a dangerous occupation). What do we do when we are not observing so I'll kick the discussion off. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

My other main hobby, no stronger than that, passion, is fossil hunting especially Dinosaurs. We are blessed with a very varied geology in England and we can access rocks with ages from 500 - 1 MYA quite easily. There is a rich deposit of Dinosaur bearing rocks on the Isle of Wight with an age of 110 MYA. Best time for 'fossilling' is after big storms in the winter, so a perfect antidote to warm sunny observing days. below is a Valdosaurus vertebrae that I recently found. Valdosaurus was a fast running 2 legged carnivore that probably lived in the local forests. the background is a Chine. its the local name for a fast running stream that cuts a steep V shaped valley through the soft clays and ends on a beach.
IMG_5188.jpg
IMG_5188.jpg (651.54 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
Happy New Year to you all
John

rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Here be Dinosaurs

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

Really interesting and great find. Can you keep them or do they have to go some museum ?

:bow

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Very interesting 2nd hobby John.

That is a great find and especially from my former home-island.
So the I-O-W is not only good (not the best) for night-time astro purposes, but with your other hobby is certainly an added bonus + it's often beautiful weather too..

Thanks for sharing

Terry

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

He he he ... our favourite place is Lyme Regis and here are some of our collection. I wish I could buy a coffee table display cabinet but I haven't found one yet https://www.flickr.com/photos/alexandra ... 6519980388

While I am bored in the cloud today I have been sorting through all my stamp collection and ordering them in year order. Now I need to find something to put them in rather than a plastic bag. You can tell I am getting desperate :?

Other hobbies, bird and wildlife watching, saw a Stoat yesterday running across the road with probably a mouse in it's mouth. That was the catch of the day yesterday.

Other hobbies, should be cloud formation watching.......

Alexandra

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hi Alexandra,

WOW what a collection :bow

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Another WOW from me, as Lyme Regis must be the place to go for fossil finding/viewing/collecting as your fab images show Alexandra.

Well done

Terry

KMH
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by KMH »

Wow - that's very cool!

I have always enjoyed rock/mineral collecting and can relate to Alexandra's desire to set up a suitable display solution - I have too much stuff just sitting in boxes. I have recently started down the slippery slope of meteorite collecting as well.
I also really enjoy playing guitar and just started learning piano. Never a shortage of fun things to do in my retirement, even if it's cloudy!

Kevin

Tigger
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Tigger »

P1180260.JPG
P1180260.JPG (1.98 MiB) Viewed 1554 times
Many happy memories of fossil hunting at Lyme Regis and Charmouth (2 miles East), apart from the terrifying cliff collapses. One one particularly hazardous day, I dodged 37 rock falls.

After many years negotiation with the 'Mrs' I was finally allowed to have a display case and a couple of plastic displays for the best fossils from the boxes in the spare room. The display case has ammonites etc on the first level, various dinosaur remains from Neovenetor; Iguanodon; Valdosaurus and Polarcanthus on the remaining shelves except the top one which also has some meteorites.

The Plastic displays have a couple of Iggy Verts and the top one has a Dinosaur Egg from China, which I bought a few years ago

I have the best part of a rear limb and associated vertebrae from a valdosaurus that is currently in a box and subject to intense negotiation for a display case. My wife dreads me going to the Isle of Wight after a big storm just in case i come back with more Dino Bone
Attachments
P1180259.JPG
P1180259.JPG (974.92 KiB) Viewed 1554 times

KMH
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by KMH »

That's an amazing collection and display! I didn't know that England was such a great place for fossil collecting.

Kevin

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Wow! that is an impressive collection. I've never been able to find a cabinet. We wanted to go to Lyme / Charmouth last February to find new things after winter storms but sadly lockdown cancelled the holiday. When we went in October and it was virtually cleaned out :(

It amazes me that these bones have not seen sunlight for millions of years until we find them and touch them. Can you imagine if someone found and treasures my spinal column in 10 million years time, it is beyond comprehension.

Alexandra

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Awesome collection of Cretaceous Period fossils John!

I'd love to spend time searching these areas for some.

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Paleontology is a cool hobby too. I live in a fossil poor area. Sucks for me! At least the Sun can be seen everywhere or almost. It seems Great Britain has fossils and megaliths but generally lacks the Sun. I'm just the opposite! :|

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces