Budget but good refractor for a Hershel Wedge?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
barnstorm
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Budget but good refractor for a Hershel Wedge?

Post by barnstorm »

My astro budget is over the limit and my credit card is whimpering under the couch thanks to my camera addiction BUT....

I have never owned a Hershel Wedge before and was thinking I might try to start collecting used bits until I can afford a good wedge, hopefully, next year.

Any recommendations on a good refractor for this use? I do visual and outreach but also a good deal of imaging.

I have a 90mm Mak with a glass filter already so I was thinking of something in the 100+ size range.

Thank you for your feedback!

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Budget but good refractor for a Hershel Wedge?

Post by marktownley »

What budget are you looking at? Where are you located?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
barnstorm
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by barnstorm »

marktownley wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:31 am What budget are you looking at? Where are you located?
Batavia (Cincinnati) Ohio.

I sort of don't know what budget I am looking at, that is part of my question I guess. I am HOPING something in the sub-$700 range.

I noticed Explore Scientific AR152 Air-Spaced Doublet Refractors are about a grand and a saw one used for $700 but he would not ship (local pickup only). And I don't even know if that would be a good refractor for a H-wedge.

thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by thesmiths »

I love refractors up to 4 inches but beyond that I find the cost and weight issues don't favour them. If the goal is for very large aperture white light solar imaging, then nothing really can beat the solar Newtonian approach. A 200mm Newtonian is superb value. It probably costs about the same as a Baader Herschel wedge, which is likely what you would need to use with a large aperture refractor.

barnstorm
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by barnstorm »

thesmiths wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:15 pm I love refractors up to 4 inches but beyond that I find the cost and weight issues don't favour them. If the goal is for very large aperture white light solar imaging, then nothing really can beat the solar Newtonian approach. A 200mm Newtonian is superb value. It probably costs about the same as a Baader Herschel wedge, which is likely what you would need to use with a large aperture refractor.
That is exactly the kind of thing I need to know. Thank you!

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

barnstorm wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:56 pm
marktownley wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:31 am What budget are you looking at? Where are you located?
Batavia (Cincinnati) Ohio.

I sort of don't know what budget I am looking at, that is part of my question I guess. I am HOPING something in the sub-$700 range.

I noticed Explore Scientific AR152 Air-Spaced Doublet Refractors are about a grand and a saw one used for $700 but he would not ship (local pickup only). And I don't even know if that would be a good refractor for a H-wedge.
A few people on here use that scope, they're OK. You will need a good mount for it though, 6" fracs are heavy beasts!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
nfotis
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by nfotis »

Probably an 102ED doublet like the SVBONY one would be good enough? (they sell direct)
At this size and cost point, you can use a Herschel wedge or a Quark without fuss, AFAIK.

N.F.