Skywatcher solarquest question.

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
inhapi
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Skywatcher solarquest question.

Post by inhapi »

Is it possible/has anybody tried to put a solarquest mount on a wedge (with counterweight ?) like the mechanically similar sky-watcher az-gti mount ?

Would it be possible ? Would the tracking of the solarquest be good enough for sort vids trough a Lunt 50.

Looking for something portable for the Lunt 50.

thanks,

Inhapi

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Skywatcher solarquest question.

Post by marktownley »

Hi Inhapi.

I've never tried it on a wedge, but I have tried it with a counterweight and shaft in alt az mode. Personally I felt like that the extra weight was introducing extra flexure in the axis', and it all feels a pit plasticky to me and I feared something would snap.

I use 50mm regularly on my mount. The biggest improvement I found was to replace the stock tripod with something more substantial, I use the tripod from my EQ6 with it and now the mount can easily handle a 80mm Quark setup.

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!