Ideas for a Meade ETX125?

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
vineyard
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Ideas for a Meade ETX125?

Post by vineyard »

Hello,

I have an old Meade ETX125 (f/15) which I don't really use anymore for nighttime, so I was wondering what are some interesting projects that could be done with it for solar?

I guess there is always the option of putting some Baader film in front & turning it into a WL setup for close viewing. But are there any other things that could be tried?

One idea that I was pondering was what would be the effect be of threading on two off-centre 35mm etalons (let's say diametrically opposite each other across the central obstruction)? Would there be enough energy dissipation before the rays hit the secondary?

Could it be somehow turned into a mini spectrograph, for example with a Solex at the back (w some sort of front energy rejection)?

Could it have a PST added at the back (w an ERF in front)?

Thank you for any & all ideas!

Vin

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Ideas for a Meade ETX125?

Post by marktownley »

Hi Vin.

You could do white light, a few people here use Maks with a Quark Chromosphere and 2x telecentric.

Your off centre etalons idea won't work. There's lots written about it on this and other forums as to why not.

PST mods really need to be at f10.

Personally I would just sell it and get a frac if you want to pursue solar more.

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
vineyard
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by vineyard »

Thanks Mark. Will look at the off-centre posts out of curiosity to learn more about the physics. I do have an old f/10 achromat but I'm loathed to chop that for a PST mod. I read on posts here & elsewhere here that CaK also needs f/10 or f/15 (but hopefully without the chopping, so maybe that's an avenue to look down...hmm...). Cheers!

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Cak definitely doesn't work well with a Mak - been there too!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!