DayStar Chromosphere completely off band

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
shadowchaser
The Sun?
The Sun?

DayStar Chromosphere completely off band

Post by shadowchaser »

Hello!
I have a problem with my DayStar Quark Chromosphere filter, I bought it a year ago and I used it a few times, generally, due to the seeing that I have over my location, I use my Coronado Solarmax II 90 much more.
A few days ago I wanted to use it and the filter is completely off band, no matter how much I move the adjustment knob from one side to the other, the image is always the same, it does not show any typical detail of the surface, it is almost as if I were observing in white light.
As I live in Argentina, it is impossible to send it to be repaired, since in addition to the freight and the possible cost of the repair, when the filter returns to my country, due to customs policies, I must pay 50% of the value of a new filter. . There is no way to bring a repaired or used product into the country.
Does anyone know if this failure could be something electronic that can be repaired in my country or should I consider my filter lost?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: DayStar Chromosphere completely off band

Post by marktownley »

Sorry to hear this :(

Can you feel the filter heating up when you apply power?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
shadowchaser
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by shadowchaser »

marktownley wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:58 pm Sorry to hear this :(

Yes, the filter is hot, even the light turns green after a few minutes as if it works normally.

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Added to Mark's question above, please check and confirm the power-supply cable, plugs and lead are in good condition and working as they should - supplying " Uses USB power, 5v 1.5amp Includes 90-240VAC wall adapter with international plug adapters. "

Any of those small USB power-supply adapter/plugs can go wrong, so careful investigation with a volt-test meter if available or possibly plug into a similar socketed USB-POWERED item that uses the 5V USB standard.

Some cheapy wall-USB power-supply ADAPTER/plugs may not produce 1.5A at 5Volts or be faulty too...

Best Wishes and hope all can be sorted in home

Terry

marktownley wrote: ↑Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:58 pm
Sorry to hear this :(

shadowchaser = your reply to Mark as:-

Yes, the filter is hot, even the light turns green after a few minutes as if it works normally.

So this :-

Does suggest not the power-supply then, but still worth checking that...

Terry

Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

shadowchaser wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:26 pm Hello!
I have a problem with my DayStar Quark Chromosphere filter, I bought it a year ago and I used it a few times, generally, due to the seeing that I have over my location, I use my Coronado Solarmax II 90 much more.
A few days ago I wanted to use it and the filter is completely off band, no matter how much I move the adjustment knob from one side to the other, the image is always the same, it does not show any typical detail of the surface, it is almost as if I were observing in white light.
As I live in Argentina, it is impossible to send it to be repaired, since in addition to the freight and the possible cost of the repair, when the filter returns to my country, due to customs policies, I must pay 50% of the value of a new filter. . There is no way to bring a repaired or used product into the country.
Does anyone know if this failure could be something electronic that can be repaired in my country or should I consider my filter lost?
Hi,
Sorry to hear about your problems, but do not panic yet!
These problems can be solved somehow. Maybe someone locally or abroad can take a look for you but try the things Mark as advised. Look for every possible problem including the battery.
1)
Check the voltage and power output of the battery.
2) Check the EFR is correctly placed and screwed in.
3) Is your exposure of the sun ok ? Gain can be set to zero or mid range. Adjust exposure to get the disc details (usually in 1 to 10ms)
4) Ensure your focus is ok (different from Coronado).
5) Try focusing your scope on to the disc/limb to see if you pick up any proms (high exposure), then reduce exposure.
6) Maybe someone can take the Quark apart for you and offer you a better price to repair it ??
7) Try it on another day, when conditions are more favourable, e.g not too hot when the operating range of the Quark is exceeded.

Good luck.
Magnus

Solar: H-alpha": Quark Chromosphere filter; Baader white light filters
Scopes: Altair Astro Travel ED70mm (F 420mm, D=70mm);; Skywatcher 90mm (F 910mm D=90mm); GSO focuser;;Altair Astro 60mm guidescope (D=60mm,F=225mm)
Cameras: ASI120mm-S,ASI174mm
Mount: SW HEQ5 Pro, SW EQ3 Pro Synscan (SW = Skywatcher),Vixen Polarie tracker (portable setup)
Accessory: SW Auto-focuser
Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

Hi,
Maybe show us a screen grab of your image of the sun so far ??

Thanks

Magnus

Scopes: Altair Astro Travel ED70mm (F 420mm, D=70mm);; Skywatcher 90mm (F 910mm D=90mm); GSO focuser;;Altair Astro 60mm guidescope (D=60mm,F=225mm)
Mount: SW HEQ5 Pro, SW EQ3 Pro Synscan (SW = Skywatcher),Vixen Polarie tracker (portable setup)
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Unfortunately it sounds very similar to the problem I had. My 'onband' region was about +4 on the dial setting when new, after 3 months it was greater than +5. As there was no 'dial +6' it was impossible to get it on band. Just a blank featureless disc. The heater had failed. It still worked, heated, green light etc but just not enough to get to the 'onband' region.

I sent mine back to get the heater repaired but they wouldn't fix it. They sent it back unrepaired to waste 4 months. Then a second send back and again they wouldn't repair it and they sent back a new one. This new one worse than the first one, so I got my money back as I was totally fed up after 18 months of tearing my hair out.

If you know of someone clever who can tell you the temperature of the etalon accurately and who knew of a way to heat it up steadily by 1 degree each time so you could test it, then you would be able to fix it. My best guess is it is like mine and you are just a few degrees off the proper operating temperature. It is mighty frustrating and this brings back unhappy memories :(

Alexandra

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

The other possibility is you are too hot, this is an easy test. Set the Quark up cold on the scope. Find the sun and watch on the computer screen as it heats up. As it heats up do you see the Sun come on band then go off band again?

Do you have the dial setting correct first? test all the dial settings like I did to find the correct temperature, here is a helpful guide https://solarnutcase.livejournal.com/12257.html

You can see my 'on band' was very close to the edge at new.

Check this post before you read my other one.

Alexandra

shadowchaser
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by shadowchaser »

Montana wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:12 am The other possibility is you are too hot, this is an easy test. Set the Quark up cold on the scope. Find the sun and watch on the computer screen as it heats up. As it heats up do you see the Sun come on band then go off band again?

Do you have the dial setting correct first? test all the dial settings like I did to find the correct temperature, here is a helpful guide https://solarnutcase.livejournal.com/12257.html

You can see my 'on band' was very close to the edge at new.

Check this post before you read my other one.

Alexandra
Thank you very much for your recommendations!
I am going to try if the problem is that the environment is very hot, This summer it is very hot where I live.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Oh My God, reading this making me to feel very worried and scared because i live in very hot environment, and i just only yesterday ordered my Quark, so i don't want to get into same issue situation as i will never send my copy back for repair too for same reasons, so i don't know how to avoid the extreme hot in my country, it is not yet that maximum hot yet but it will be gradually every month, so until my Quark is arriving it will keep heating up of the weather, should i wait until next winter then?

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

TareqPhoto wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:59 pm Oh My [no religion please], reading this making me to feel very worried and scared because i live in very hot environment, and i just only yesterday ordered my Quark, so i don't want to get into same issue situation as i will never send my copy back for repair too for same reasons, so i don't know how to avoid the extreme hot in my country, it is not yet that maximum hot yet but it will be gradually every month, so until my Quark is arriving it will keep heating up of the weather, should i wait until next winter then?
Hi,
... and i just only yesterday ordered my Quark ...
Why not write Daystar and ask them what they think ?

I live in Mexico and also had a QUARK which never came in Band and I also have very warm weather. You are just about 3° further North then I am ...

I send it back and got my money back as they did not offer me any solution ...

Good luck.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

rsfoto wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:06 am
TareqPhoto wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:59 pm Oh My [no religion please], reading this making me to feel very worried and scared because i live in very hot environment, and i just only yesterday ordered my Quark, so i don't want to get into same issue situation as i will never send my copy back for repair too for same reasons, so i don't know how to avoid the extreme hot in my country, it is not yet that maximum hot yet but it will be gradually every month, so until my Quark is arriving it will keep heating up of the weather, should i wait until next winter then?
Hi,
... and i just only yesterday ordered my Quark ...
Why not write Daystar and ask them what they think ?

I live in Mexico and also had a QUARK which never came in Band and I also have very warm weather. You are just about 3° further North then I am ...

I send it back and got my money back as they did not offer me any solution ...

Good luck.
Ok, i will test it first then decide

Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

Hi Tareq,

Just wondering what is the temperature you will be imaging in ? I ask because you should also consider your health and the risks of sun u.v. light on skin cancer and general damage to your skin from uv light.
Cameras might also suffer from damage from intense heat.

I generally will not image in temperatures exceeding 28 degrees due to the effect it has on my physiology and physical stress.

Magnus.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Boso36 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:34 am
Hi Tareq,

Just wondering what is the temperature you will be imaging in ? I ask because you should also consider your health and the risks of sun u.v. light on skin cancer and general damage to your skin from uv light.
Cameras might also suffer from damage from intense heat.

I generally will not image in temperatures exceeding 28 degrees due to the effect it has on my physiology and physical stress.

Magnus.
Hi Magnus,

Are you from Sweden or Norway?!!!

Well, here the heat is really bad and high, i mean in winter it can be nearly 24-28C day time, maybe very few days it can can be around 18-20C, so imagine in summer, that can go up to 45-50C, and metals will increase even more, so in summer i will never try to do solar no matter what, not worthy the risk.

Don't worry, i don't stand or stay under the sun longer than 5-10 minutes if it is about 24-30C, definitely not more than 1 minute if it is 40C and above, i lived in my country long enough to know about the sun heat, my dark skin is strong enough to resist it, so i don't have health issues with the sun so far.

Tareq

Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

Hi Tareq,

UV light is very damaging no matter the protection afforded by your skin, be careful !
I live in London actuailly Tareq.
Do not fight the sun, it is a nuclear fusion reactor which creates trillions of joules per second output !!!! You will lose.

Magnus

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Boso36 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:42 am Hi Tareq,

UV light is very damaging no matter the protection afforded by your skin, be careful !
I live in London actuailly Tareq.
Do not fight the sun, it is a nuclear fusion reactor which creates trillions of joules per second output !!!! You will lose.

Magnus
Hi Magnus,

Now you are telling me about the sun while i lived 41 years with the sun in my area all years and seasons, too late warning and advice :lol:

I won't risk myself and anything, today morning/afternoon while i am imaging the sun even my laptop was like in a heat, i felt like it will explode, so i don't know what else is heating, maybe my camera and the scope and even the mount and battery power.