<new product>What do you think of a 1.25 inch erf filter for quark?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
mami813
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

<new product>What do you think of a 1.25 inch erf filter for quark?

Post by mami813 »

What do you think of a 1.25 inch erf filter for quark?

https://player-one-astronomy.com/produc ... omosphere/

ERF-1.jpg
ERF-1.jpg (170.67 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
ERF-4-1024x956.jpg
ERF-4-1024x956.jpg (43.34 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
ERF-6-797x1024.jpg
ERF-6-797x1024.jpg (34.15 KiB) Viewed 2176 times

christian viladrich
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: <new product>What do you think of a 1.25 inch erf filter for quark?

Post by christian viladrich »

Given the description, it looks basically as a red filter ?

Christian Viladrich
Co-author of "Planetary Astronomy"
http://planetary-astronomy.com/
Editor of "Solar Astronomy"
http://www.astronomiesolaire.com/
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

christian viladrich wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:09 pm Given the description, it looks basically as a red filter ?
I agree!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
mami813
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by mami813 »

marktownley wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:10 pm
christian viladrich wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:09 pm Given the description, it looks basically as a red filter ?
I agree!
This is the content of Play One's answer.
Hi Mr. Kim,
This ERF filter combines the characteristics of Baader's D-ERF and R filters.
The D-ERF has a high cut-off rate, but the transmittance is not high. The R filter has a high transmittance and a low cut-off rate.
This ERF can achieve a good enough cutoff rate at 300nm-1100nm while maintaining a high transmittance, finding a balance between these two aspects.

christian viladrich

Post by christian viladrich »

Hello,
Here is the transmission profile of a Baader R-CCD filter :

http://astrosurf.com/viladrich/astro/in ... -R-ALH.JPG

I measured it with a Ocean Optics HR4000 spectrometer.
As you can see, it takes 15 nm to go from min transmission to about 95% transmission, and then about 15 nm to go to 95% to min transmission.
The transmission profile is basically square.

Now, if we look at Player one "ERF", the transition between min and max transmission is about 15-20 nm. Quite similar to Baader R-CCD filter.
So I can't see the difference between Player One "ERF" filter and Baader R-CCD filter.

Regarding Baader ERF, I have not the measured profile at hand, but Baader gives a peak transmission of about 95%. So, I won't say that "the transmission is not high".
On top of that, Baader ERF blocks light up to 1400 nm, which is quite a good idea considering there is still a lot of energy in the solar spectrum up to 1400 nm. This is quite tricky to acheive this from a technological point of view. "Usual" coatings become transparent beyond about 1100 nm.
Player-one does not display transmission of its "ERF" beyond 1100 nm. They just say "Blocking depth: OD2 (300nm-1100nm)", meaning transmission of 1% between 300 nm and 1100 nm.

Finally, Player-One "ERF" FWHM is about 125 nm, while Baader D-ERF FWHM is 80 nm, which makes another difference in terms of transmitted energy.

At the end of the day, I still don't see a difference between Player-One "ERF" and Baader R-CCD filter.

This is not to dismiss Player-One work. I am just trying to undestand why they call it an ERF.

Christian Viladrich
Co-author of "Planetary Astronomy"
http://planetary-astronomy.com/
Editor of "Solar Astronomy"
http://www.astronomiesolaire.com/
mami813
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by mami813 »

christian viladrich wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:00 am Hello,
Here is the transmission profile of a Baader R-CCD filter :

http://astrosurf.com/viladrich/astro/in ... -R-ALH.JPG

I measured it with a Ocean Optics HR4000 spectrometer.
As you can see, it takes 15 nm to go from min transmission to about 95% transmission, and then about 15 nm to go to 95% to min transmission.
The transmission profile is basically square.

Now, if we look at Player one "ERF", the transition between min and max transmission is about 15-20 nm. Quite similar to Baader R-CCD filter.
So I can't see the difference between Player One "ERF" filter and Baader R-CCD filter.

Regarding Baader ERF, I have not the measured profile at hand, but Baader gives a peak transmission of about 95%. So, I won't say that "the transmission is not high".
On top of that, Baader ERF blocks light up to 1400 nm, which is quite a good idea considering there is still a lot of energy in the solar spectrum up to 1400 nm. This is quite tricky to acheive this from a technological point of view. "Usual" coatings become transparent beyond about 1100 nm.
Player-one does not display transmission of its "ERF" beyond 1100 nm. They just say "Blocking depth: OD2 (300nm-1100nm)", meaning transmission of 1% between 300 nm and 1100 nm.

Finally, Player-One "ERF" FWHM is about 125 nm, while Baader D-ERF FWHM is 80 nm, which makes another difference in terms of transmitted energy.

At the end of the day, I still don't see a difference between Player-One "ERF" and Baader R-CCD filter.

This is not to dismiss Player-One work. I am just trying to undestand why they call it an ERF.
It seems like a bit of a trick.
Thank you for your reply. I learned a lot thanks to you.

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

i also think its a marketing trick, since the baader d-erf has good transmition. Also in Solar H-Alpha light transmission is not the #1 importance.
Depending on the Aperture you are using i dont think its a good idea to place a ERF directly in front of the quark. -> closer to the focus point, more stress for the erf.

Triband C9.25
H-a: Quark Chromosphere with BF mod
WL: Antlia 500nm/ 3nm, 393 nm/ 3nm
Ca-K: homebrew (includes 2x 1.5A filters, thanks Apollo)
Player One Apollo Max + Mars MII
Barlows:
-2x Gerd Düring 2.7x
-2x TMB 1.8x
mami813
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by mami813 »

Dennis wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:29 am i also think its a marketing trick, since the baader d-erf has good transmition. Also in Solar H-Alpha light transmission is not the #1 importance.
Depending on the Aperture you are using i dont think its a good idea to place a ERF directly in front of the quark. -> closer to the focus point, more stress for the erf.
hello dennis
Thanks for sharing your comments.
Jongho