Maximum aperture and safety choice

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Maximum aperture and safety choice

Post by TareqPhoto »

Hi all,

I want to know what is the maximum aperture that is allowed to use without any frontal ERF with any kind of scope?

When it is safe to use the scope without ERF, or without UV/IR cut if using for example the wedge or module or Quark [Ha]?

If using that front ERF whatever maker it is, is it worthy to use UV/IR cut filter as well?

If we image CaK or K-Line band, we don't use UV/IR cut, but the wedge or module, how safe is that without front ERF or even any front solar film filter

Is it really safe using any brand of front solar film with any scope for visual? And for imaging with camera, does the scope size or aperture really matter?

I have Wedge now and Daystar Quark, and i ordered cheap WL solar film for my 7" Mak, how can i use them in my hot condition without any risk? And what i need to add there? Does using a cheap or stock average diagonal really affect the quality of the results in imaging at least?

Sorry for those questions, i want to start quickly before it is too too hot to do then i have to wait until Fall/Winter to do which means like 6 months later.

vkx86
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: Maximum aperture and safety choice

Post by vkx86 »

I guess there is no point using UV/IR cut filter if you have D-ERF, which passes only H-alpha line, but if that's D-ERF that passes Ca-K line, there is point in using UV/IR cut filter for visual - UV isn't good for our eyes.
Regarding diagonals - only mirror ones fits for solar.
There is some merit in higher quality diagonals for night-time, but for solar, as far as it has good surface quality everyone will be good for solar.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

vkx86 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:33 am I guess there is no point using UV/IR cut filter if you have D-ERF, which passes only H-alpha line, but if that's D-ERF that passes Ca-K line, there is point in using UV/IR cut filter for visual - UV isn't good for our eyes.
Regarding diagonals - only mirror ones fits for solar.
There is some merit in higher quality diagonals for night-time, but for solar, as far as it has good surface quality everyone will be good for solar.
Fair enough for that ERF point.

Any recommend for that solar diagonal? Something that is not another crazy expensive product?

vkx86
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by vkx86 »

TareqPhoto wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:19 pm Fair enough for that ERF point.

Any recommend for that solar diagonal? Something that is not another crazy expensive product?
I have only one mirror diagonal in my collection.
It's 2" mirror diagonal that came with my Skywatcher ED80.
It's quality, solid diagonal and works perfectly with my Quark Chromo (with 1.25" Baader 35 nm, mounted in 1.25"-2" adapter in it's nose) and in these rare occasions I use my 2" Meade 56 mm Plossl with my Mewlon-180.
If you can get one or similar (such as GSO ones) - highly recommended.
BTW, Baader 1.25" 35nm serves as useful aid in aiming ED80 to the Sun - it projects clearly visible, ~40 mm in diameter circular patch of light back into ED80 objective front element, so I sometimes use it for aiming the scope by centering that circle in the objective looking on it from the side.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

vkx86 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:04 am
TareqPhoto wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:19 pm Fair enough for that ERF point.

I have only one mirror diagonal in my collection.
It's 2" mirror diagonal that came with my Skywatcher ED80.
It's quality, solid diagonal and works perfectly with my Quark Chromo (with 1.25" Baader 35 nm, mounted in 1.25"-2" adapter in it's nose) and in these rare occasions I use my 2" Meade 56 mm Plossl with my Mewlon-180.
If you can get one or similar (such as GSO ones) - highly recommended.
BTW, Baader 1.25" 35nm serves as useful aid in aiming ED80 to the Sun - it projects clearly visible, ~40 mm in diameter circular patch of light back into ED80 objective front element, so I sometimes use it for aiming the scope by centering that circle in the objective looking on it from the side.
I don't have those, and it will take me long time to get them, so i think i have to stop planning for solar imaging or viewing this time and wait until October at least.