Wanted: ZWO ASI174MM-Cool (found)

VENDORS WELCOME! Please, only solar equipment.
Universal_Astrophotography
The Sun?
The Sun?

Wanted: ZWO ASI174MM-Cool (found)

Post by Universal_Astrophotography »

Hello,

I am looking for a ZWO ASI174MM-Cool camera, I have been searching since January for this as it seems to offer exactly what I am looking for in a camera for my solar and DSO setup. I plan to use this with an ASIAIR so it will need to be the ZWO brand. I am offering up to $900 for the camera if it is in good, working condition and without banding issues. I will pay for shipping and PayPal/eBay fees (depending on how we decide to go through with the transaction).

I am brand new to this forum so I have not sold or bought anything as of yet from here, I do have a positive seller rating on Cloudy Nights and eBay. I would like to see seller/buyer feedback on an account of yours as well, if possible. I will only make a transaction through PayPal or eBay, I will not consider any other form of transaction.

Have a great day,
Brian
Last edited by Universal_Astrophotography on Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robotic Telescopes: Vaonis Stellina, Unistellar eVscope, and Vaonis Vespera Kickstarter Backer

Traditional Telescopes: Sky-Watcher 90mm Maksutov-Cassegrain, Lunt LS100MT

Camera: ZWO ASI185MC-Cool

Controller: ZWO ASIAIR Plus
MapleRidge
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Wanted: ZWO ASI174MM-Cool

Post by MapleRidge »

Hi Brian...

I cannot help on the cooled 174 search, though I do have a spare un-cooled 174MM.

I think this model of camera is going to be scarce, but wonder what scopes you plan to use for solar and particularly your deep sky imaging? I suspect there are better choices for deep sky with the newer lower noise/higher QE cameras but it all depends on the optical setup to make the best match. As always, budget plays a big role too.

I saw your ad on the Canadian Buy/Sell site as well, so hopefully you are able to fond one, but a plan be might be something to consider.

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
The Sun?
The Sun?

MapleRidge wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:17 pm Hi Brian...

I cannot help on the cooled 174 search, though I do have a spare un-cooled 174MM.

I think this model of camera is going to be scarce, but wonder what scopes you plan to use for solar and particularly your deep sky imaging? I suspect there are better choices for deep sky with the newer lower noise/higher QE cameras but it all depends on the optical setup to make the best match. As always, budget plays a big role too.

I saw your ad on the Canadian Buy/Sell site as well, so hopefully you are able to fond one, but a plan be might be something to consider.

Brian
Hi Brian,

The camera definitely seems to be scarce, the last one sold was back in May of 2021. I have literally exhausted just about all astronomy classifieds at this point, I am in no rush to get the camera so I will likely continue to wait until this camera or something with approximately the same pixel size is produced, although I think this is unlikely with the current trend in CMOS sensors. The arc-seconds of the 174MM reasonably matches both of my planned setups and the going price is within my budget. I have looked into CCD cameras but they are quite expensive and do not have the ability to connect with my ZWO ASIAIR Plus; I have thought about just binning a more available CMOS sensor but I have read that binning is not the same on a CMOS sensor versus a CCD.

Have a great day,
Brian

Robotic Telescopes: Vaonis Stellina, Unistellar eVscope, and Vaonis Vespera Kickstarter Backer

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

I have thought about just binning a more available CMOS sensor but I have read that binning is not the same on a CMOS sensor versus a CCD

Hi Brian,

That is true and you want to bin for Sun or DSO ?

I have an ASI 1600MM Pro and I am astonished how Noise free this cameras are compared to CCD of which I have a few like the QSI 540WSG.

Below an example of DSO using 14 images 300 second exposure time @ -15°C per filter Ha, OIII and SII

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

That is an excellent image Rainer !!!

I think Brian's reference to binning was meant to address the small pixel sizes in the more common newer CMOS sensors. The 1600MM chip certainly has a lot of potential. I like my un-cooled version for full disk imaging on scopes up to 1200mm focal length, but a bit slow for higher resolution unless the ROI is quite small.

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

MapleRidge wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:17 am That is an excellent image Rainer !!!

I think Brian's reference to binning was meant to address the small pixel sizes in the more common newer CMOS sensors. The 1600MM chip certainly has a lot of potential. I like my un-cooled version for full disk imaging on scopes up to 1200mm focal length, but a bit slow for higher resolution unless the ROI is quite small.

Brian
Hi Brian,

Yes I got that about binning and pixel size and here comes another thought.

We all know noise starts to get nasty when we expose longer and longer but having exposure times under 50ms I dare to affirm that binning 2x2 on the Sun with no gain there will be no noise at all.

Original pixel size of the 1600 is 3.8µm and binned 2x2 would give 7.6µm if my calculation is correct :mrgreen:

I would gladly test it but that would mean to tear down all my DSO working setup and we all know we should not " repair " something that is working ... In my Observatory I just do not change anything anymore.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

:movie
TERRY

The Sun?
The Sun?

Wow, I wasn’t expecting this many replies! Thank you both for your input. The 1600 definitely produces some great images, that image of the Rosette Nebula is incredible! The problem I am running into here is that I would be oversampling with the 3.8 micron pixels but undersampling with 7.8 micron pixels. I am still unsure about binning with a CMOS sensor at the moment, I need to look into how the binning is processed on a CMOS versus CCD sensor more.

I’ll probably continue my search for the ASI174MM-Cool for now but I’ll consider binning a CMOS if I find nothing in the near future.

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

The problem I am running into here is that I would be oversampling with the 3.8 micron pixels but undersampling with 7.8 micron pixels.
Hi,

Well, honestly when I started with all this I really never worried about Over or Under sampling ...

No offense meant but I think this is Hairsplitting.

Unless you have the budget of Professional astronomers budget get what fits most closely.

Maybe I do not understand all this Over and Under sampling stuff but is it not better to Over sample ¿?

Just guessing ...

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°