Meade Coronado return

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Meade Coronado return

Post by Highbury Mark »

Meade/Coronado products have been absent from most of the main UK retailer websites for several years, but I’ve just heard they are just about to return with the largest of those retailers, First Light Optics. Signs that Meade’s new owner Orion will soon be promoting Coronado solar products once again. Let’s hope the quality is good, and they can provide some competition to keep solar equipment prices more realistic here in Europe

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
Sol seeker uk
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: Meade Coronado return

Post by Sol seeker uk »

Great news as I like Flo as a dealer
Shame that I've just ordered the blocking filter with TS and having to wait as they don't have stock but order as they get a sale, so it's coming from the US to Germany then onto me in the UK.. hope it all works out for Meade/Coronado and obviously for Flo too

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

That is good news. I like FLO too, and they are actually carrying stock looking on their website.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/corona ... copes.html

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Rob63
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Rob63 »

As I am (hopefully) going to be in the market for a dedicated Ha scope in the next year to compliment my Quark I am interested to see this.
Prices (in UK from FLO) seem a bit better than the Lunt 'equivalent'.
Coronado SolarMax III 90mm Telescope BF15 £5,399
Coronado SolarMax III 90mm Telescope Double Stack BF15 £7,499

LUNT LS800MT/B1200 R&P £6,345
LUNT LS800MT/B1200 with LUNT double-stack module £9,254

They are advertising them in an interesting way :-)
"includes only external 'True' Ha etalon filters giving higher contrast views and sharper features compared with models using smaller internal Ha etalon designs. Experience darker backgrounds, sharper features, and higher contrast with the new SolarMax III series telescope."

Hopefully we will get some reviews in the near future especially regarding etalon quality.

Quark Chromosphere, Lunt LS60MT DS, Lunt Ca-K B1200 module, Baader herschel wedge
Sky-Watcher ED120 & ED80, StellaLyra 8" CC
Sky-Watcher EQ6R-Pro, ZWO AM5
ZWO ASI120MM, ASI174MM, ASI290MM, ASI1600MM
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

Coronado moved to external etalons when they had their design refresh a few years ago. On paper, they should deliver better views than internal etalons - but I’ve seen relatively few reports on either size of Coronado III scope since the redesign. The prices are certainly attractive next to Lunt, but in the UK I have to keep banging the drum for Solarscope, which is a real option these days if you’re looking for a mid sized Ha system. Double stacked external SF70 filters (and two 20mm blocking filters) are around £8.5k - undercutting the Lunt 80DS. The quality is outstanding in my experience. Excellent customer service too. Just a shame those prices are not available in export markets.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
nicspenceryork
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by nicspenceryork »

Highbury Mark wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:58 pm Coronado moved to external etalons when they had their design refresh a few years ago. On paper, they should deliver better views than internal etalons - but I’ve seen relatively few reports on either size of Coronado III scope since the redesign. The prices are certainly attractive next to Lunt, but in the UK I have to keep banging the drum for Solarscope, which is a real option these days if you’re looking for a mid sized Ha system. Double stacked external SF70 filters (and two 20mm blocking filters) are around £8.5k - undercutting the Lunt 80DS. The quality is outstanding in my experience. Excellent customer service too. Just a shame those prices are not available in export markets.
I was interested to read your comment Mark as I am set on buying a Solarscope 60 or 70 double stack within the next two years. I've found Helmut's advice so very helpful. I wondered whether you know if there's a big difference between the 60 and 70? What's a good scope to use it with? I dithered between this and a Lunt 80 for a long time and now I'm set on the Solarscope. I went to an open day at Sherwood Observatory and, having previously only looked through a PST and a quark prom, when I looked through their older design dedicated 50, my eyes nearly feel out of my head with the detail I saw! That confirmed my decision!
All the best,
Nic

MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by MalVeauX »

I think I've seen 2 or 3 Solarmax II & III series etalons, ever, that had good uniformity.

Sadly.

Very best,

Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

nicspenceryork wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:50 pm [quote="Highbury Mark" post_id=338159 time=<a href="tel:1653404316">1653404316</a> user_id=6746]
Coronado moved to external etalons when they had their design refresh a few years ago. On paper, they should deliver better views than internal etalons - but I’ve seen relatively few reports on either size of Coronado III scope since the redesign. The prices are certainly attractive next to Lunt, but in the UK I have to keep banging the drum for Solarscope, which is a real option these days if you’re looking for a mid sized Ha system. Double stacked external SF70 filters (and two 20mm blocking filters) are around £8.5k - undercutting the Lunt 80DS. The quality is outstanding in my experience. Excellent customer service too. Just a shame those prices are not available in export markets.
I was interested to read your comment Mark as I am set on buying a Solarscope 60 or 70 double stack within the next two years. I've found Helmut's advice so very helpful. I wondered whether you know if there's a big difference between the 60 and 70? What's a good scope to use it with? I dithered between this and a Lunt 80 for a long time and now I'm set on the Solarscope. I went to an open day at Sherwood Observatory and, having previously only looked through a PST and a quark prom, when I looked through their older design dedicated 50, my eyes nearly feel out of my head with the detail I saw! That confirmed my decision!
All the best,
Nic
[/quote]

Having gone from a Lunt 50 to 60DS, and now the Solarscope pair, I’d urge you to get the 70s Nic. It’s a considerable investment, but it is better not to regret going larger at a later date if you get the 60mm pair. The increase in resolution is significant. It means I can observe with a binoviewer at powers up to 140x in good seeing - compared with around 75-80x max with the Lunt 60. Though obviously much dimmer, solar features remain sharp and clear at that power. For full disks, I use 32mm and 25mm eyepieces, and the views are just stunning. I use the SF70s with a TV85, though Helmut will machine an adapter to fit your scope of choice.
I really think Lunt has pushed prices too high with the LS60 and LS80 in Europe. You’re paying more for two much smaller (50mm?) internal etalons with the LS80DS than two matched 70mm etalons with Solarscope - and you get two 20mm blocking filters, designed specifically for single or double stacked use. If you’re ever in London on a clear day and want to see how they perform, PM me.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

MalVeauX wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:38 pm I think I've seen 2 or 3 Solarmax II & III series etalons, ever, that had good uniformity.

Sadly.

Very best,
I know James on this forum is happy with his SMII 90 Marty, and it was bought for a great price, but reports of uniform filters are hard to come by. Let’s hope Orion can start to turn that around.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Highbury Mark wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:29 am
MalVeauX wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:38 pm I think I've seen 2 or 3 Solarmax II & III series etalons, ever, that had good uniformity.

Sadly.

Very best,
I know James on this forum is happy with his SMII 90 Marty, and it was bought for a great price, but reports of uniform filters are hard to come by. Let’s hope Orion can start to turn that around.
Hi,

I'm not trying to poke at anyone, I'm just pointing out the most important property to these etalons.... their uniformity. People can be happy with whatever they are happy with. I'm not trying to take that from them. But if you're shopping for an etalon and you want to get the most for your money, a high quality high uniformity etalon is where your highest budget point should focus. And frankly the SMII and SMIII series just drop the ball in this. My evidence is largely anecdotal. But if you were to rummage the forums, astrobin, etc, for images made with SMII and SMIII etalons and inspect their uniformity from the image (even after someone tries to correct as much as they can in post processing with flat calibration, etc), you'll notice obvious bands of non-uniformity on nearly all of them. I've seen 3 examples with specific copies of these etalons that had excellent uniformity. Two of them are here on this forum. They are exceptions.

Very best,

Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

No - it’s fair comment. It’s only as I’ve experienced more filters that I can now look back on my first solar scope - a Lunt 50 - and realise just how un-uniform it was. Even with a pressure tuner, its sweet spot probably only covered 30% of the view. The detail within the Jacquinot spot was good enough to keep me happy, but in hindsight it would have been difficult to use it for full disc imaging. I do get the impression that Lunt uniformity has improved, though obviously it’s only a hunch. My LS60 was better in this regard.
I certainly don’t underestimate the cost to Coronado of improving consistency at the same time as ramping up production. But that’s what they have to do if they want to build trust.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
nicspenceryork
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by nicspenceryork »

Thanks Mark. It's great to hear you're happy with the 70s and very reassuring to hear that they do well power wise. I'll have a read about the scope you have and compare it to my Skywatcher Evostar 80 ed pro. I travel to London once or twice a year but it's always crammed with arrangements so I'd be unlikely to be able to visit but I do appreciate the invitation!
Newish to the forum I'm not sure whether I've seen any images from you with the set up. Maybe you you prefer visual. I'd love to see an image or two from you if you have any? Just point me in the right direction!
Nic

vineyard
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by vineyard »

I know this is meant to be a Meade/Coronado thread but would echo Mark's recommendation of Solarscope & Marty's point on a high quality etalon as the highest budget point. I started with a Lunt 50 and while I liked what it dipped my toes into, its limitations became clear pretty quickly even to a newbie like me. Based on the recommendations that Solarscope seemed to get on various forums (Alexandra, Mark & others) I took a deep breath & went for a SF50. Sure the wallet squealed but a-b-s-o-l-u-t-e-l-y no regrets. All my images are with that. In moments of idle whimsy, I now daydream whether it would be better to double-stack that 50, or move to a single stack 70 :lol:

Rob63
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Rob63 »

I'd be interested to hear opinions on initially buying SS and adding a 2nd etalon later to get the DS.
Given the price difference this is tempting but how likely are you to get a good match compared to buying a DS setup from someone who has actually tested the system?

Quark Chromosphere, Lunt LS60MT DS, Lunt Ca-K B1200 module, Baader herschel wedge
vineyard
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by vineyard »

Rob63 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:49 am I'd be interested to hear opinions on initially buying SS and adding a 2nd etalon later to get the DS.
Given the price difference this is tempting but how likely are you to get a good match compared to buying a DS setup from someone who has actually tested the system?
Once the 2nd etalon is made, Solarscope ask you to send the 1st etalon back so that they can match it & test the two together before shipping them back. (Can you tell I've been looking into this? :lol:)

Rob63
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Rob63 »

vineyard wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:24 am Once the 2nd etalon is made, Solarscope ask you to send the 1st etalon back so that they can match it & test the two together before shipping them back. (Can you tell I've been looking into this? :lol:)
Now that is what I was hoping to hear :D
I will be following your progress with interest

p.s. Solarscope don't seem to have prices on their website - very annoying
do you know the current price of single stack setup (etalon, bf and adapter) ?

vineyard
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by vineyard »

Rob63 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:45 am
Now that is what I was hoping to hear :D
I will be following your progress with interest

p.s. Solarscope don't seem to have prices on their website - very annoying
do you know the current price of single stack setup (etalon, bf and adapter) ?
Sure thing - will post updates in a new thread. Best thing on prices & availability is to ping them directly. Helmut is excellent. I don't know the current single stack price I'm afraid (the second etalon doesn't need an ERF etc so the pricing is different than a normal single stack).

Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

My single stack SF70 is not particularly impressive, tbh. Great for proms, but pretty much as you’d expect on surface detail from a 0.7A filter. It would be interesting to know if the SS etalons are tuned differently if ordering just the one, instead of as part of a DS system. My presumption is they are different, as Vin’s post suggests. I’ve seen some very impressive single stack Solarscope filters.
Shamefully, I still don’t have any images with my SF70s - I have a camera waiting, but just haven’t had the time this year to use it yet. Although I’ve been observing for eight years, I’ve yet to take a single astronomical image, so have a lot to learn.
4286E915-6140-48CC-8886-25DE81B5671C.jpeg
4286E915-6140-48CC-8886-25DE81B5671C.jpeg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 3192 times

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
vineyard
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by vineyard »

I'm checking w Helmut if they change anything on the original single stack when adding a second etalon - I don't think so, in which case you may have identified the reason Mark. Cheers, Vin

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I bought my SF100 as a single stack and a couple of years later bought a double stack to match. They make the 2nd, then you send the first back so they can match it. I hate to say this but my single SF100 was amazing, once it came back from the DS matching it is not a patch on what it was. I have had constant problems. I am visiting the factory in a couple of weeks, if I can get some photos of the tour I will share if I am allowed. Will he fix my SF100, I'll let you know, fingers crossed. I hate to write a negative but it is an unfortunate truth. If you can buy double stack to start with then I highly recommend it. But like anything solar, etalons are etalons and seem to be covered with fairy dust, you are either lucky or you aren't ;)

Alexandra

vineyard
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by vineyard »

Thanks Alexandra, hope the visit goes well & you get the right answer to the fixing Q. Will wait to hear! I'd really not want anything done to my SF50 as am v happy with its performance.

PS - fwiw, I've heard back from Helmut who has confirmed that the 1st etalon is not touched in any way during the matching. That's reassuring for me, so I hope you are able to solve the puzzle of your SF100 - good luck!

BGazing
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by BGazing »

Highbury Mark wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:15 pm
nicspenceryork wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:50 pm [quote="Highbury Mark" post_id=338159 time=<a href="tel:1653404316">1653404316</a> user_id=6746]
All the best,
Nic
Having gone from a Lunt 50 to 60DS, and now the Solarscope pair, I’d urge you to get the 70s Nic. It’s a considerable investment, but it is better not to regret going larger at a later date if you get the 60mm pair. The increase in resolution is significant. It means I can observe with a binoviewer at powers up to 140x in good seeing - compared with around 75-80x max with the Lunt 60. Though obviously much dimmer, solar features remain sharp and clear at that power. For full disks, I use 32mm and 25mm eyepieces, and the views are just stunning. I use the SF70s with a TV85, though Helmut will machine an adapter to fit your scope of choice.
I really think Lunt has pushed prices too high with the LS60 and LS80 in Europe. You’re paying more for two much smaller (50mm?) internal etalons with the LS80DS than two matched 70mm etalons with Solarscope - and you get two 20mm blocking filters, designed specifically for single or double stacked use. If you’re ever in London on a clear day and want to see how they perform, PM me.
[/quote]

Lunt prices with all European dealers are incredibly high, makes more sense to buy from the US. LS80 SS with BF1800 is around 5K USD with FTF.

Lunt 80MT DS, 533/1600/462