Minor G1 Geomagnetic Storm 15th June 2022

I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
Carbon60
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Minor G1 Geomagnetic Storm 15th June 2022

Post by Carbon60 »

The arrival of a weak G1 geomagnetic storm resulting from a glancing blow from a recent CME was recorded today on my magnetometer here in the UK. It is always so interesting to see directly on my computer screen the effects of space weather on my little magnetic sensor buried in my back yard. I'm just glad everything is back up and running again, although I'll need to re-route my data cable once the builders have left the site.

@Rainer, a lot of steel has been pushed into the ground to stabilise the foundations and this is only about 8m from my sensor. It seems to be largely unaffected (although it is 'whistling' at a different frequency than before). It still accurately resolves the structures within the magnetic record, so it may be okay for you at your site even if you have quite an amount of steel in the area. The main thing is that the local magnetic field needs to be stable, even if distorted by local steelwork. I guess it depends on the size and proximity of the steel, but it could be that all is not lost at your location.

Anyhow, here are my data.
20220615_G1 Storm.jpg
20220615_G1 Storm.jpg (136.43 KiB) Viewed 295 times
There may be more unrest to follow, as Earth is still passing through the wake of the CME as of the time of writing.

Thanks for looking.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Minor G1 Geomagnetic Storm 15th June 2022

Post by Montana »

That's great Stuart,
I got an alert for this yesterday :) not that I could have a hope of seeing it.

Alexandra