SHG (spectroheliography) software release version 3.3

The place for all your solar software; capture, stacking, post processing, ancillaries etc. It's all up for discussion here!
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

SHG (spectroheliography) software release version 3.3

Post by thesmiths »

After a long pause between updates, we have just published a new and improved version of our spectroheliography software, version 3.3:

https://github.com/thelondonsmiths/Sole ... s/tag/v3.3

A small but important new feature is the automatic cropping of the image to make it square. This allows easier stacking of multiple images, since most stacking software require tje images to all have the same dimensions. The creation of animations and mosaics is also simplified.

We spent time to improve the "transversalium removal" process. It is now quite a bit more robust. We also enabled the width of the window to be varied, which means both narrow and wider slit defects can be accommodated. The transversalium removal can also be turned off entirely. This allows an alternative user-defined method to be used. A comparison can also now be made between "filtered" and "unfiltered" versions.

We have added code from Matt Considine that allows for both 16bit and 8bit in both SER and AVI format to be processed.

Below are two images, at the H-alpha and H-beta wavelengths, processed entirely automatically with the new software version. No additional imaging processing was done to the output.

Fully automatically processed H-alpha and H-beta SHG images.
Fully automatically processed H-alpha and H-beta SHG images.
H-alpha and H-beta SHG.JPG (205.32 KiB) Viewed 1160 times

fulvio.mete
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: SHG (spectroheliography) software release version 3.3

Post by fulvio.mete »

Hi, Douglas:
Your efforts to create a new, free,and complete spectroheliography conversion software are admirable and commendable.
Sincere thanks from me, and, I think, from all those interested in spectroheliography.
This, obviously, without to forget the great work of Valerie Desnoux and Matt Considine.
Cheers

Fulvio

fulvio.mete
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by fulvio.mete »

Doug,I forgot your son Andrew: many thanks to him too!

Fulvio

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Very impressive results Douglas. When I see SHG images like these it piques my interest in getting into it...

Many thanks for all the efforts with the software.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by thesmiths »

A user (JFP) has pointed out that the "crop to square" feature is really only useful for a full-disk image. If to use it on a hemisphere, for example, it will crop the edges off. Since I started using the very long 12mm slits, I am now only doing full disk scans, so I forgot to mention the issue with partial scans.