July 3 2022 Observations

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

July 3 2022 Observations

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Session time is from 15:09 to 16:30 UTC. The skies are partly cloudy with the seeing being a bit below average but certainly better than it was yesterday. The temperature is 84F ( 28.8C ). I will be heading to Lowndesville South Carolina this afternoon for the next four days to visit my dad. It's gonna be hot! I am taking my solar gear along.

Coronado SolarMax II 60 SS & DS. 16x, 25x and 33x ( Ha )
Today I can see nine plages in the Ha chromosphere with five being in the northern hemisphere with one of those being numbered and four in the southern hemisphere with two numbered plages in the southern hemisphere. A ruffled area can be also made out around a couple of filaments in the SE quad and another ruffling with a filament is present in the SW quad.

AR13046 can be seen easily in the NE quadrant and appears as a loose oval plage with a spot at it's west end. Another small plage lies just to it's north. A small filament lies just NE of that small plage. Another small plage is seen due east of AR13046. The NW quadrant shows two more difficult plages. The are oriented SE-NW on the disc with a filament between them. The northern plage is quite small.

AR13047 entering the SW quadrant appears as an easily seen plage. SE of it on the CLM is another easy elongated plage oriented east-west. South of it lies three easy filaments. AR13048 is a hard catch in the SE quadrant but is certainly visible with a close look. A small plage is seen in the SW quadrant. It's fairly faint and of low contrast.

A splendid double prom is seen on the SE limb. Each component hooks towards the other. During my 1+ hour of observing them I can see changes in their voids and the thin plasma between them is almost touching by the end of my session. These proms are bright and easy, even in double stack. Other proms are also noticed on the NE and NW limb. I spend most of my time on proms on the SE ones.

The mottles are seen across the solar disc.

Orion 70mm Solar Telescope. 25x and 50x ( WL )
I can see nine areas of activity on the white light photosphere today. Three in the northern hemisphere with one being numbered and six in the southern hemisphere with two being numbered.

AR13046 in the NE quad shows itself as a area of biPolar spots. A single larger spot is seen in the western part of the group. It has both an umbra and a penumbra. Just east of it I see a grouping of five tiny spots/pores amid faint faculae. Just north of AR13046 I can see a faint roundish facula. SDO high rez HMI continuum images show three pores there but I cannot see them. A facula is seen just east of AR13046 not far off the limb. I don't see any activity at all in the NW quadrant.

I can see three waves of faculae from north to south inside the SE limb. The northernmost one has a small spot at it's western end. I see none in the others. I cannot see anything of AR13048 in continuum. I can see a small row of spots running east-west on the CLM. I am clouded a bit by it's identity. The number AR13047 is labeled between two active regions in close proximity. I think it refers to the one just to it's NW as shown in Ha but I am not sure. This one is more developed so it might refer to this one. Anyway I can see 4 spots/pores in this line of spots. I can see two patches of faculae very near the SW limb. The northern one is associated with the departing AR13040. The southern one is an elongated series of patches. A see no spots or pores in any of these. NE of these faculae SDO high rez continuum shows three pores. They are associated with a faint plage seen there in Ha. I did not see these pores.

The granulation can be seen today but it's soft.

Carpe Lumen!

James

GONG+SDOHMIc_7-3-22.JPG
GONG+SDOHMIc_7-3-22.JPG (142.67 KiB) Viewed 171 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: July 3 2022 Observations

Post by Montana »

Great description James :hamster: I was viewing about 2 hrs after you and could see a patch of surge proms on the SW limb.

Alexandra

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I don’t remember noticing any surge proms there at the time I observed. There must have been a flare.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

An hour an half well spent JAmes, and a nice report. Enjoy visiting your dad.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Thanks Mark.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars