August 7 2022 Observations. Nice views!

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

August 7 2022 Observations. Nice views!

Post by DeepSolar64 »

My session time was from 16:40 until 18:23 UTC. The skies are mostly clear and the seeing is varying considerably from above average to below average but gets slowly worse through the session. The temperature was 82F ( 27.7C ) mid-session. I had intended to image but just wasn't in the mood for it.

Coronado SolarMax II 90. SS & DS. 32x, 44.5x, 50x and 66.5x ( Ha )
I can see eleven disturbed areas in the 656.3nm Ha chromosphere today. Five in the northern hemisphere and six in the southern hemisphere. The KSO images show six areas numbered in the southern hemisphere.

I can see three close together plages in the NE quadrant close to the limb. The closest to the limb contains a spot with a faint surrounding plage. NE of that one lies a brighter plage with a couple of small spots and what may be a filament. North of this one lies an easy but somewhat fainter plage that almost looks double. It has a fainter extension to the SW. One on and one west of the Central Longitudinal Meridian lies two more disturbances. They are low contrast scattered brightenings associated with easily seen filaments located there. Just east of the CLM in the north two close together filaments are seen. One of these to the east of the main body looks like a spot at low power. When I first saw it I thought it was a sunspot! higher magnifications show a bright place under and to one side of the spotlike filament.

The SE quadrant shows three active regions very close to the limb. AR13068 ( North ) is a patch of plage with a couple of small filaments. AR13072 ( Middle ) is a spot with plage stretching a short distance to the SE. AR13073 ( South ) is a couple of spots amid plage. AR13071 in the SE quadrant is a system of three separated patches of plage centered on a spot. A filament lies to it's SE and another further south. Well NW of AR13071 lies a small elongated plage. It's little but not difficult. Just to the east of AR13071 lies another small plage. It may or may not be associated of AR13071. AR13071 now pulling away from the SE limb shows an easy spot, especially in single stack with plage to the ENE. A thin wavy filament runs almost to the SE limb running from NE to SE of the spot. A long easy filament is seen to the region's SW. Well to the NW across the equator a couple of more filaments are seen. In fact the SMII90 in DS reveals more than 90 percent of the filaments on the disc to my eye!

Though none are especially spectacular the SMII90 shows all the prominences shown on the GONG Ha images to my eye. A double group of plantlike proms are seen on the SE limb and another smaller northward trailing prom is seen just north of the equator in the east. The NE limb has the brightest prom. It looks like a TriPier telescope mount with the northern leg being thicker. A smaller prom lies to it's south. A double prom or divided single prom lies on the NW limb. In the GONG images it looks like a cutaway illustration of a volcano! I also notice a small pointed prominence on the SW limb near AR13073.

The network of mottling is easy and the spicule layer is easily seen, especially in single stack where it overlays the double limb of the photosphere.

Celestron NexStar 102 GT w/Altair wedge and 540nm filter. 55.5X, 62.5x, 83x and 100x ( WL )
In 540nm green I can see eight active spot bearing regions on the photosphere. Three in the NE quadrant and five in the southern hemisphere. The KSO images show all five in the south to have NOAA numbers.

Three systems are visible in the NE quadrant. A new system at the limb shows a fully structured spot with some mottling seen in the southern part of it's penumbra. There is also an protuberance on the south side of the penumbra. This spot is male!! :lol: Faculae flank the spot to the NE and SW. NW of this spot lies another system. I can see 4 spots/pores there. Faculae can be seen. Further NW lies more faculae and two tiny pores. It's the third system in the NE quadrant. I see nothing of significance in the NW quadrant at all.

Three active regions very near the SW limb are easily seen. AR13068 ( North ) is seen as a double-umbra spot sharing a penumbra. It's so sharply inclined it's hard to get a good look at it. Bright faculae trail to it's SE. AR13072 ( Middle ) Is a structured but irregular spot with a couple of pores to it's east among faculae. AR13073 ( South ) is an arcing collection of spots/pores. I can see six of them with the largest showing some structure. Strangely the largest spot is EAST of the smaller ones. :? The faculae too stretches west of the larger spot! 🤔

AR13071 in the SE quad is visible as a single spot showing both umbra and penumbra. A light bridge is shown nearly crossing the umbra from NW to SE. Moments of finer seeing show radial detail in the penumbra and an uneven edge to the umbra. The penumbral edge also shows a raggedness where the granules interact with it. I can also see with some effort the tiny light colored granules themselves! AR13074 in the SE quadrant is visible as a single spot showing both umbra and penumbra. I see a tiny pore embedded in the penumbra of the larger spot on it's NE side. Another tiny pore lies just east of the penumbral boundary of the large spot. Faculae spread eastward of the spot.

While doing this report well after the session was complete I notice a large pore between AR13071 and AR13074 on the SDO HMI images I saved at that time. I looked in my notes and see no mention of it and I don't remember observing it so I grab the Orion70 ( 20:20 UTC ) and go look for it. At 50x I find it and an additional pore NW of it. SDOHMIc high res images show four here in all at the time I observed with the Orion70.

James

GONG_BB&ML_Ha_8-7-22.JPG
GONG_BB&ML_Ha_8-7-22.JPG (160.02 KiB) Viewed 246 times
KSO&SDO_WLC_8-7-22.JPG
KSO&SDO_WLC_8-7-22.JPG (113.06 KiB) Viewed 246 times
KSOcak+SDOAIA1600_8-7-22.JPG
KSOcak+SDOAIA1600_8-7-22.JPG (135.14 KiB) Viewed 246 times
SDOHMIc_Greyscale_AR13071_AR13074_8-7-22.JPG
SDOHMIc_Greyscale_AR13071_AR13074_8-7-22.JPG (474.7 KiB) Viewed 246 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
MAURITS

Re: August 7 2022 Observations. Nice views!

Post by MAURITS »

Thanks for sharing James.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

Thanks James.
Do you dictate your findings/record them to a voice recorder at the telescope ? How do you remember all those details in your report.

Thanks.

Magnus

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Magnus,
I have a voice recorder app for my iPhone that I use plus the note app on the phone. I once used pencil and paper, a physical notebook at the computer but digital has largely replaced it. I do use memory as well if I can post immediately after I observe when the details are fresh. I download current images from GONG, SDO, KSO etc as guides and they help a lot. I try to be as accurate as possible and I do have a lot of practice at taking astronomical notes. I’ve been doing it since 1982!

A laptop computer is even better to use taking notes but is less portable than a smartphone is. If I had a permanent observatory the computer would reign supreme for notetaking. But imaging would also increase too and would become more competitive against my visual work.

Now if I could only sketch!!

James

P.S. Thinking about it I may start using my " new " MacBook Pro to take visual notes while at the scope. I need more practice on a Mac and it will be a way to get it more in use for my visual work and not only imaging.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
arnedanielsen

Post by arnedanielsen »

Good report, James!

Best regards,
Arne

Best regards,
Arne
--
AstroBin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/arnedani/
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Great detailed report there James!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Thanks Arne and Mark. 😊

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars