Off-band Ca-H images

I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Off-band Ca-H images

Post by thesmiths »

Similar to a post we made recently on H-alpha viewtopic.php?t=37231, here is a mosaic made from a recent single Ca-H SHG video file. For the acquisition conditions, see this previous post viewtopic.php?t=37317.

By using the "pixel shift" feature of our software, we stepped through the Ca-H line from slightly blue (top left) to slightly red (bottom right). The mosaic below is from -10 to +10 pixels. The data is from a single SER file taken at 09:10 UTC on July 29. This is a large jpg file so best to see by opening in a new tab.

Mosaic of Ca-H SHG images, pixel shifted from -10 to +10. 2400 l/mm grating, 9 micron lithographic slit.
Mosaic of Ca-H SHG images, pixel shifted from -10 to +10. 2400 l/mm grating, 9 micron lithographic slit.
101043_CaH_shift_-10_to_10.jpg (2.77 MiB) Viewed 1025 times

The centre (minimum brightness) of the Ca-H line corresponds to the central image. Each shifted image corresponds to a wavelength displacement of 7.2 picometers. The theoretical spectral resolution is about 21 picometers (0.21 angstroms). The range of wavelength shift from blue to red is a total of only 1.44 angstrom. This shows how important the proper tuning of a narrowband calcium filter is. The difference between Ca-H and Ca-K is likely not very large.

It's worth mentioning that the Doppler shift is not as visible in Ca-H as in the previous H-alpha mosaic. I think the reason is the shape of Calcium lines is much more gradual, while the H-alpha line is quite steep. This means the gradient of brightness vs wavelength is much less, so any Doppler shift does not translate into as large a shift in intensity.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Off-band Ca-H images

Post by marktownley »

Brilliant comparison Douglas. I know this is CaH, but is very useful to me with tuning my CaK filters.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by thesmiths »

marktownley wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:44 am I know this is CaH, but is very useful to me with tuning my CaK filters.
I just did CaK and CaH today and the results are essentially identical. Feel free to put this one in the Solar Reference Library along with the H-alpha version.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

This is so useful!! I think my Lunt CaK is probably the upper left ;) It is so clever that you can get all this information from one video :bow :hamster:

Alexandra