CaII K3 spectroheliogram of today

I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
fulvio.mete
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

CaII K3 spectroheliogram of today

Post by fulvio.mete »

A spectroheliogram of this morning in CaIIK3 light with POSS2 spectrograph with a 9 micron chrome slit on a quartz support (therefore highly transmissive of UV) that the friend Douglas Smith kindly gave to me. The result seems good. The conversion soft used was SLM

Fulvio
Attachments
SunCaIIK0003 22-08-02 09-57 10 Img final.jpg
SunCaIIK0003 22-08-02 09-57 10 Img final.jpg (443.26 KiB) Viewed 1134 times

NM_mike
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: CaII K3 spectroheliogram of today

Post by NM_mike »

Looks like the lithographed chrome slit is working out very nice!

thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by thesmiths »

NM_mike wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:51 pm Looks like the lithographed chrome slit is working out very nice!
The ones you ordered from Lenox should work out about the same. As I mentioned before, because they are glass and not quartz, you will just have to be careful about thermal shocking them. The typical way to do that is with an ND filter somewhere in the system or a Herschel wedge.

The glass side is likely very robust but be a bit careful about rubbing the chrome side to clean it. The coating is typically only around 100nm.

Also, those look like they are highly reflective on both sides, so be a bit careful about where the reflected sunlight ends up. For sure, don't look into the telescope when it's pointed anywhere near the Sun.

The normal orientation is the glass side towards the Sun and the chrome side towards the SHG. You can usually tell which side is which if the look at the edge of the glass.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

A wonderful image :bow :hamster: and great first light with the new slit.

Alexandra

Bastelhannes
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Bastelhannes »

I can't wait to receive the slits form Douglas as well. I am printing parts for my new spectroheliograph currently...

My greatest fear is being married alive.