Coating removal of a T400

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
allhoest
Almost There...
Almost There...

Coating removal of a T400

Post by allhoest »

I'm preparing a trial with a big scope, a newton D400 mm.

Removing the coating is not a new topic, but it is still a kind of special event.

Here, some pics of the process. Keep in mind the safety and environment protection.

Fitting the mirror in a box made for the purpose, protecting against leak with plastic sheets.
Protection of the area where the mirror has been stripped.
Pouring Iron(III) chloride (40%).
This time, the stripping was very fast; it took about 1 hour. The coating was not of very high quality.
The iron chloride is collected back, the mirror cleaned with water and the used material collected for disposal.

Alex
2022-08-04

pupak
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Coating removal of a T400

Post by pupak »

I recommend that you mattify the back of the mirror by etching it with hydrofluoric acid. The matte surface prevents parasitic reflections and significantly increases contrast. Unfortunately, it slightly increases heat absorption.

I do not look at the sky with the eyes of an astronomer, but of a person looking for the beauty of nature.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Job well done Alex!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
banjo

Post by banjo »

super.gif
super.gif (23.66 KiB) Viewed 1275 times

bresser/messier 150/1200 (or 200/1800 Istar ) Mod -D-Erf 160mm intern-glasspath 1.25-etalon Pst barlow X2 ASI174
https://astropol.pagesperso-orange.fr/b ... 9/best2019
sorry for my English translators google :mrgreen:
allhoest
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by allhoest »

pupak wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:52 pm I recommend that you mattify the back of the mirror by etching it with hydrofluoric acid. The matte surface prevents parasitic reflections and significantly increases contrast. Unfortunately, it slightly increases heat absorption.
Thanks for the tip.
It is slighly matted. I have tried the mirror yesterday, but the seeing was not good.
I'll try imaging again with better seeing.
And compare with a 300mm.

CS
Alex