Comparison of H-beta and H-alpha full-disk SHG images from Aug 7

I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Comparison of H-beta and H-alpha full-disk SHG images from Aug 7

Post by thesmiths »

Here's are two mosaics of H-alpha and H-beta side-by-side (which makes for easier comparison). H-beta is not as dramatic as H-alpha or Ca-K but has some nice subtle details. I haven't seen H-beta etalon images but that's probably because you need an extremely narrow bandwidth to see much contrast in H-beta.

For technical details on the imaging process, see the post in the Solar Radio, Magnetometry and Spectroscopy section: viewtopic.php?t=37449.

Click on the image to see at higher resolution.

H-beta (left) and H-alpha (right). 106mm aperture, 720mm focal length. Morning of August 7.
H-beta (left) and H-alpha (right). 106mm aperture, 720mm focal length. Morning of August 7.
070822-Hb-Ha-720mm-2400g-stacked.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 1005 times
H-beta inverted (left) and H-alpha inverted (right).
H-beta inverted (left) and H-alpha inverted (right).
070822-Hb-Ha-720mm-2400g-stacked-inverted.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 1005 times
Last edited by thesmiths on Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: H-alpha and H-beta full disk SHG images from Aug 7

Post by Montana »

Fantastic images Douglas, the Hbeta shows the magnetic disturbance around the active regions very well indeed. This is simply the best :bow :hamster:

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Very nice!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
hopskipson
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by hopskipson »

Very nice images, Douglas!

Looking on my phone and trying to compare the images. To me it seems like the filaments are not as full and some seem transparent or missing features in the beta version. Kind of like we’re only seeing the lower levels?

I really like your limbs. There not the usual jagged edges that I get. 😕 Is that due to the stacking or some other processing? Thanks

James
These pretzels are making me thirsty! (C.C.)
The Quark introduced me to this wonderful side of the hobby and the sun hasn’t disappointed yet.
Solar Equipment: Solar Spectrum RG-18 0.3A, Coronado Solarmax 90mm etalon Isle of Man SN-001, Tuscon SN-380 and Meade SM2, Lunt LS80 DS, Quark Chromosphere, Lunt 2" wedge, 2-Lunt CaK II 1200, Baader 3.8 and 5.0 solar film in 208mm cells, and 3D printed Sol'Ex SHG, Lunt 40mm
Coming Soon: Solar Spectrum CaK II <1A filter
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by thesmiths »

hopskipson wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:05 pm To me it seems like the filaments are not as full and some seem transparent or missing features in the beta version. Kind of like we’re only seeing the lower levels?
See this conversation: viewtopic.php?p=349452#p349452
hopskipson wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:05 pm I really like your limbs. There not the usual jagged edges that I get. Is that due to the stacking or some other processing?
See this conversation for the main issues: viewtopic.php?p=347850#p347850

Stacking does help with smoothing out the limb edges. The main cause of jaggedness, I believe, is atmospheric turbulence, which would be evened out by stacking. But mount tracking errors can also cause jaggedness, but these would typically be asymmetrical -- i.e. stronger in one scan direction than the reverse direction.