SUN Mosaic?

The place for all your solar software; capture, stacking, post processing, ancillaries etc. It's all up for discussion here!
Nik
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

SUN Mosaic?

Post by Nik »

What is the best way to capture sun mosaics?

I am manual moving the frame but it's tedious and I lose track of the positions and overlaps after a while. Is there a firecapture plugin to automate the process?

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: SUN Mosaic?

Post by Montana »

Nik,

I'm not sure that I have ever heard of anyone using software to automate the capture of a mosaic :( I think you have to manually do this I am afraid.

I asked on this topic what Sergio does, this may be helpful to you viewtopic.php?t=37520

I also have a little write up about how I go about creating a mosaic here https://solarnutcase.livejournal.com/18572.html it is towards the bottom.

The key is to have your telescope correctly orientated and your camera also, so when you go right, left up or down you are perfectly straight. Work in a weave motion and do a good over lap. This way you shouldn't get lost.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Alexandra

Nik
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Nik »

I was missing the very important step of aligning the camera sensor with mount movements, it's so much easier now thank you!

Peterm
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Peterm »

A now no longer supported Microsoft product Image Composite Editor makes Mosaics very,very simple with no sign of any stitching. A link can still be found here https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answe ... or-20.html
Here is an example using Image Composite Editor that I made from 4 panels using my 80Tha and ZWO 432MM & 3X TeleXtender.
Attachments
Mosaic Nov13th.jpg
Mosaic Nov13th.jpg (585.8 KiB) Viewed 1439 times

Lunt 80Tha S/S & D/S / B1800; Quark Chromosphere; SkyWatcher 120 Evostar; Celestron SE6; Celestron AVX; Berlebach Planet; ZWO174MM & 432MM & 533MM; Powermate 5X; Lunt Solar Wedge; Hinode SG; Airy Labs SSM

Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/PeterM/
BOSS team: www.bosssupernova.com
Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

Nik wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:46 am I was missing the very important step of aligning the camera sensor with mount movements, it's so much easier now thank you!
I was pondering the solar mosaic problem as well. I had a look at Moon panorama maker (do a search on this, was discussed in Cloudy Nghts). I think it would be of course possible to program it to take solar mosaics. You just have to find the code or commands to your mount. If you know your sensor size, and the size of the sun, then you can move your mount in a pre-programmed automated way....

Magnus

Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

Nik wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:46 am I was missing the very important step of aligning the camera sensor with mount movements, it's so much easier now thank you!
I found out from a solar imager on stargazerslounge.co.uk that :
1) autostitch64 can be very effective
2) alternatively - Microsoft ICE
3) Photoshop has a photomerge function which is also quite effective.

The key is to get an adequate overlap. If automated stitching fails, you can try a manual merge ! I am surprised that you can get a mosaic with 4 panes, probably better to increase it slightly. I once got 18 panes stitched, but I have not tried this again !

Magnus