"Old" ls60tha vs ls40tha

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Soendergaard
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

"Old" ls60tha vs ls40tha

Post by Soendergaard »

Hi everyone

I am considering a dedicated solar scope. I had decided on the lunt ls40tha/b1200 but now I have found a good offer on the "old" ls60tha/b1200. would you say that there is a big gain by investing a little more for the ls60tha rather than the ls40. for visual use to begin with, but in the long run I would like to learn photography :)

All the best

Lunt LS40THa b1200 - Player One apollo m mini - TS-Optics TSB21 1.5x achromatic Barlow Lens - Solarquest-mount - Pentax XF SMC 6.5-19.5mm Zoom Eyepiece - Location Denmark
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: "Old" ls60tha vs ls40tha

Post by marktownley »

I think key is being able to either take a look through the scope or see pictures through it. Without, you're buying blind for either scope.

The 60mm will obviously have considerable more resolution than the 40mm. Which has the more contrast is anyones guess!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Soendergaard
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Soendergaard »

thanks. I have looked at as many pictures as I could find - but there are still not that many from ls40tha. I have spoken to someone who has tried them both - but unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to try any of them myself yet. so it's like you say, I'm buying blind. i don't know how long i can wait if i go for ls60tha as they are about to be gone.

Lunt LS40THa b1200 - Player One apollo m mini - TS-Optics TSB21 1.5x achromatic Barlow Lens - Solarquest-mount - Pentax XF SMC 6.5-19.5mm Zoom Eyepiece - Location Denmark
Petrus
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Petrus »

My first good solar telescope was an old Lunt60THa bought as second hand. Absolute gem. Offered today so much joy for small outreach at the local Finnish hobby festival. I mostly spent my time imaging, so I was surprised how much it really offers visually too. Thin cloud haze might do some trick as it made the bright surface darker, showing nice filaments, and active regions, and the prominences with Lunt60THa were majestic!

This would be my recommendation. Still relatively lightweight, views are really impressive visually for imaging this is easy to setup.

~ Petrus ~

Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/people/194757663@N08/

LS80THa DSII - Calcium II K module 12mm - Lunt Herschel wedge 1.25" - Quark Chromosphere - Solarscout Quark - Sol'Ex
Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

The 60 will most likely be more suitable for imaging if that is your ultimate goal. But Mark is right. There is enough variability in etalon production that without an actual visual evaluation it might be a difficult side-by-side choice.

But overall the 60 would be the safer bet - and you can save up for latter double stacking - which makes a huge difference. Currently, no LS40 DS option is readily available.

That being said, I just picked up a second LS35 etalon and modified to double stack with for my Grab & Go set-up, and the view of the full-disc is jaw-dropping!

20220822_174159 sm crop.jpg
20220822_174159 sm crop.jpg (486.17 KiB) Viewed 1286 times

This kit would be much more difficult to image with than my other H alpha rigs - but that is not its purpose.

So if you're going the single scope route - I'd opt for the LS60.

Bob

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
Soendergaard
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Soendergaard »

Thank you very much for your reply.
Unfortunately the ls60tha has been sold out :) so now the choice is much easier.
The good news, however, is that I get the opportunity to look through the ls40tha before purchase. But how do I make a visual evaluation of the etalon? I think I have to do my best to judge the contrast - which is almost impossible when I have never looked through a solarscope before. wish me luck :D

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I'm sure you will enjoy it!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!