Idea: automatic capture of spectra

I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
Bastelhannes
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Idea: automatic capture of spectra

Post by Bastelhannes »

Hi folks,

has anyone considered taking the SHG spectra automatically?

I am thinking about:
- aim SHG at west end of sun disc
- stop tracking + start capture
- at east end of disc: stop capturing, start tracking, move telescope to the west end of disc
- start again

I can't program, but do we have tools to realize this?

Bastelhannes

My greatest fear is being married alive.
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Idea: automatic capture of spectra

Post by PDB »

Hi,

there is an ironpython interface for SharpCap Pro somewhere on the internet. (from the French developers)
For FireCapture I am currently making a plugin to do exactly that, but still a few hurdles to take.

Paul

None of my posts or images may be shared on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media other than SolarChat without permission.
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Ok, found the link for the SharpCap script: https://astrophotoamateur.org/2022/03/s ... solex.html
It needs the PRO (non-free) version of SharpCap.

Paul

None of my posts or images may be shared on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media other than SolarChat without permission.
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by thesmiths »

Jean-Francois Petit has written quite a bit of Python code to do this. His ASCOM compatible software has a software "paddle" like EQ-Mod. You push the West button, it starts the mount scanning and the camera. You push the Stop button and both the scanning and capture are halted. You can then push the East button and take the scan in the opposite direction. It works of course also in North/South (for scanning in DEC instead of RA). I believe his software can also automatically call the reconstruction software to generate the image immediately after the scan.

I'm not exactly sure where to find his software but he posts on Astrosurf (http://www.astrosurf.com/profile/91556-jean-francois-p/). He lives near Munich, by the way.

Bastelhannes
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Bastelhannes »

Thank you for all the hints and suggestions. I am going to try them and will report how they worked for me.

My greatest fear is being married alive.
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by thesmiths »

Bastelhannes wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:52 am I am going to try them and will report how they worked for me.
I mentioned to Jean-Francois about your question. Perhaps he will contact you directly. I think he is a customer of Teleskop-Spezialisten. I believe he told me he comes to your office and picks things up himself sometimes.