Thank you members!

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you members!

Post by solarchat »

WE PASSED OUR GOAL!
$16,125 raised in this year’s Fall fundraiser!

On a personal note; this will conclude my 14th year of directing the world’s largest solar astronomy outreach program - The Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project - which I founded in 2008 to honor my friend Charlie who killed himself after his wife Susan died from cancer.
The entire intent was to let people having a rough time know that someone sees them and sees their potential so that at least one person wouldn’t go down the same hopeless road and take their own life.
It’s morphed in to so much more since then with so many people here in the U.S. and all over the world benefitting in some small way from the resources that we collect and distribute under the nonprofit system. The Solarchat Forum isn’t too bad either! :). Thanks Mark, Alexandra and Ken for running things.
This entire program has been miraculously supported by the same tiny group of about 150 people since it started. The vast majority or our donors never see a tangible benefit for themselves and most don’t have anything to do with astronomy. They are usually not wealthy people although we do have a couple benefactors in that range. It’s a group of normal every day people who understand that giving a little attention to someone and letting them know that you see them and care about them goes so far in so many lives. Sharing what you love with someone ALWAYS ends well
for both parties and it is the way in which our society survives. Turns out spreading science and knowledge with compassion for folks is a really good thing.
I want to extend a profound and humble thank you to the small group of incredible people that support this nonprofit every year and want to assure you that what you do for our 501c3 goes directly and fully towards helping people bloom to their fullest potential. It’s really awesome to watch someone develop confidence and abilities that they didn’t know they had!
Thank you 153 donors for keeping us around for another 6 months. I promise to bust my butt and make you proud.

Stephen W. Ramsden
D8BE5C47-AE9D-4DCA-8BB5-CD1EB2083267.jpeg
D8BE5C47-AE9D-4DCA-8BB5-CD1EB2083267.jpeg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 507 times

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Thank you members!

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Stephen,
I feel for you concerning the loss of your friend and you have honored him well by naming your nonprofit after him. Was Charlie interested in astronomy or photography, especially solar?

I am glad that the goal was met so others can be helped get into such a wonderful hobby. And yes it expands one's view and can give you a different look on life by seeing the wonderful world around you and can give you something to live for when it seems there is nothing to live for. May the LORD bless your efforts.

Through your computer and camera donation and SolarChat, CBSAP has really helped me greatly expand my solar observing program. My primary goal is to fully document Solar Cycle 25 through my own observations and images backed by images from professional sources and those by members here. I am well on my way but I may have to move to take care of my dad soon and some challenges are certainly ahead. I may even have to quit my job and sell my home to pay off debt for he lives 2.5 hours away and he lives alone at 77 years old.

I might not be a core " old timer " here but I am here to stay. Thanks for everything and I wish I could do more.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
steveward53
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by steveward53 »

:bow :hamster:

Steve.

Day by day Solar album ... http://www.astrobin.com/users/steveward53/

Tal 100RS , ED80Pro , Mak180Pro.
HEQ5Pro , EQ3/2 , 14' pier.
Canon 1000D , SPC900NC Mono.
Scopium wedge - Baader ND3.8.
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

James,
Charlie was a fellow veteran and air traffic controller who displayed incredible generosity and friendship to everyone. He had nothing to do with astronomy.
Watching him crumble into oblivion for months after his wife died was extremely painful for all of us. I wanted his name to be remembered for something good. Thanks for asking.

If I can help in any way with your pop, please just ask.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Stephen,
I bet that was painful. I have a close friend and if I saw that happen to him I would find it extremely painful. And his name will carry on in remembrance through this group. I wish he was here to see it.

Thanks Stephen for offering help with my dad. I am not sure how I am going to handle it. It won't be long he will no longer be able to support himself. I am trying to figure out a way to help him without destroying me and my wife financially. But regardless I'll help him either way. He would have done it for me. It may hurt my observing in the future a bit though. Hopefully on that GONG, KSO, SDO and Slooh will pull me through and especially SolarChat!!

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Arrakis97
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Arrakis97 »

I read your post with great emotion, especially the part about your friend Charlie.
For about a year and a half I have been in a similar condition with my wife who has been operated on for three different cancers of the colon, breast and pancreas and with liver metastases. For me too, the thought of having nothing more to do in case my wife dies is constant.
During this time I have tried to keep morale up by intensifying the observations and solar shots, even if it is often difficult to maintain morale. We are waiting for the report of the second chemo therapy after the first was useless. Unfortunately, the concomitant period of Covid has made everything much more difficult since my wife is immune depressed due to chemo therapy and therefore we are forced to stay indoors.
There are no words to describe the difficulty of waiting for this which could be a death sentence.

I thank all the friends for the support you have given me in this period and for what I have learned from you; you have been of great help; I will try to keep my spirits steady to try to enjoy every day with my wife as if it were the last available. In this the solar observations will be of great help.

I like to attach to this Memo one of the latest results that I particularly like.

Thanks again everyone
Carlo

Image2022 10 05 11h 48' 10 sec CET Sun H alpha Chromosphere NOAA 13114, 13115, 13117 by Carlo Casoli, su Flickr

Image2022 10 05 11h 48' 10 sec CET Sun H alpha Chromosphere NOAA 13114, 13115, 13117 color by Carlo Casoli, su Flickr

Image2022 10 05 11h 48' 10 sec CET Sun H alpha Chromosphere NOAA 13114, 13115, 13117 b&w inverted by Carlo Casoli, su Flickr

Carlo Casoli
https://www.flickr.com/photos/carlocasoli/
TEC140 Apo with Baader D-ERF 160 mm, Beloptik Telecentric 5x, Coronado PST, Solar Spectrum S.O. 0.5 A
LUNT Tha 80 D.S.
Tecnosky 80/480 Apo
Daystar Quark Cromosphere H alfa Filter
Lunt B600 Ca K filter
Baader Herschel Wedge
Ioptron CEM70-G & Tripier
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I feel for you Carlo. I went through this with my mother before she passed back in 2011.

Nice images!

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
arnedanielsen

Post by arnedanielsen »

Very nice to see that we managed to pass the goal once again!

The Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project is a wonderful way to honor your friend Stephen!

My warm thoughts to James and Carlo! Hopefully this forum and our common interest in our Sun can help to bring some happy moments and time-out from the challenging everyday life.

Best regards,
Arne

Best regards,
Arne
--
AstroBin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/arnedani/
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Hopefully this forum and our common interest in our Sun can help to bring some happy moments and time-out from the challenging everyday life._Arne
True that! And it does. :D

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars