November 7 2022 Observations

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

November 7 2022 Observations

Post by DeepSolar64 »

My session time is from 15:40 until 16:41 UTC. The skies are partly to mostly cloudy with high thin clouds. The seeing is above average. The temperature is a warm 72F ( 22.2C )

Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS. 32x and 50x ( Ha )
I can see the vast majority of detail visually that the GONG CTIO and El Teide images show on the Ha disc. A band of activity can be seen crossing the northern hemisphere at mid-northern latitudes with three obvious active regions being visible in the NE quadrant. The swath of activity fades as it goes westward but is still visible under and around the numerous filaments in the area. More diffuse filaments are seen in the far NW quadrant. Four visible plages can be seen in the southern hemisphere.

AR13141 is visible easily in the NE quadrant by it's two large spots with plage centering on the easternmost spot. A filament lies just SW of the western spot. AR13140 lies NW of AR13141 and shows itself as a plage east of an easy spot. West of it lies the easy plage of AR13142 with the fainter plage of AR13139 westward still, close to the CLM. AR13137 is a hard to detect plage just to the NW of AR13139. AR13135 is seen as a spot among faint plage in the NW quadrant. Filaments pervade the NW quadrant.

AR13136 is seen in the SW quadrant as a low contrast plage but still isn't difficult. A smaller plage can be seen just to it's SE. A brighter unnumbered plage is seen in the SE quadrant. A broken filament is seen SW of this plage and a polar crown of filaments lies in the far south above the pole. A filament is also seen NNE of the unnumbered plage. Another plage can be seen near the SE limb just below the equator. Filaments lie below it.

I did see several prominences around the limb but viewing in doublestack through thin clouds dimmed the image enough to keep me from studying them well. GONG El Teide shows them.

The mottles are visible across the disc.

Celestron NexStar 102GT w/Altair wedge and Baader 540nm filter. 55x and 110x ( WL )
540nm photosphere is really nice today despite viewing it mostly through thin clouds. Seeing allows me to see almost as much detail visually as seen on the attached SDO high resolution 4K image. Fortunately the wedge can be brightened enough to help make up for the thin clouds being present. Really only the granulation shows up better in the SDO image. I can see the tiny individual granules but the SDO image has much better contrast in showing them.

Six easy spot regions can be seen across the disc with five of these being in the northern hemisphere. All five in the north have NOAA number labels. The one in the SE quad doesn't. A seventh more difficult region is seen in the SW quadrant. AR13136.

The two big spots of AR13141 in the NE quadrant are stunning! I can see all the detail seen in the SDO4K image! The umbra of the westernmost spot roughly resembles a human figure crossed by a couple of light bridges. The light bridges are seen actually a bit better visually in the scope! One of the " legs " is crossed by a light bridge in the scope and does not show up in the image. I should have recorded which leg it was. The penumbra is mottled in it's entirety and shows large easy notches in it's southern side and another on it's northern side. A curved light area is visible near an umbralet and I can see at least 4 pores embedded in the penumbra. The easternmost spot shows excellent detail too with light bridges in the umbra and a mottled penumbra. Two pores are seen close together in the northern part of the penumbra. Both of these spots to me somewhat resemble protozoa! It's their shape I guess and their innards :-) Pores are seen around them, mostly near the easternmost spot. A cloud is seen just SW of that spot. Due north a bit lies a group of four tiny pores. NW of AR13141 lies the large oval spot of AR13140. A mottled umbra surrounds a light bridged umbra. Tiny pores lie to it's east and northeast. To the west of AR13140 lies AR13142. It is visible as a small spot amid numerous pores. At or just across the CLM lies a single small spot that belongs to AR13137. AR13135 is seen as a single sizeable spot amid faculae nearing the NW limb. I can see a notch in the northern part of the penumbra and a bit of a light bridge below it in the umbra. Another notch lies in the SW side of the penumbra. The mottling is harder to see than in the spots to the east.

Though they can hardly be called " active regions " I can see a couple of pore regions in the SW quad. One is AR13136 which is visible as a single pore. SE of it I can see three more though two are granule sized and more difficult. The larger easier one is elongated. It's probably three in contact. SDO barely resolves it and confirms this. Just east of the CLM I find the most difficult pores on the disc with a deliberate search. There are 4 of them that I can see. All granule-sized!! Three small spots are seen near the limb amid faculae. This one is certainly an unnumbered active region. Some faculae are present on the SW limb.

Carpe Lumen! The photosphere rules today!!

James

GONGElTeideSP_Ha_11-7-22.jpg
GONGElTeideSP_Ha_11-7-22.jpg (455.6 KiB) Viewed 243 times
bbso_halph_fd_20221107_072816.png
bbso_halph_fd_20221107_072816.png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 243 times
SDOHMIc_Greyscale4K_11-7-22.jpg
SDOHMIc_Greyscale4K_11-7-22.jpg (3.61 MiB) Viewed 243 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: November 7 2022 Observations

Post by marktownley »

Thanks for the report James, just cloud and rain here today.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Mark,
The last two days have been like that here but today was a bit better with thinner clouds and gaps between them. They did thicken up a bit later in the day though. Tuesday is forecast to be better but time may be lacking tomorrow for me.

You are welcome. I am glad you liked my report. 540nm was really nice today.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Thanks for the report James, here overcast with regularly rain.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Thanks for your detailed report, James.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

This is when the WL gets exciting :hamster: great to hear you had a nice long session in both lights :hamster:

Alexandra

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Hopefully eventually I will add a third light. CaK. For now I use the Kanzelhohe Solar Observatory for that.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

StarHugger wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:06 pm Nice report James, jealous of that 72° indeed...My plan is also to add a third light but now the imaging bug has me shortlisted on that end with more new wants and needs ☀️ creeping in.
Same here. A lot of wants and not enough money.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars