AMD Ryzen 7 Windows 11 issues with FPS

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
pedro
Way More Fun to Share It!!

AMD Ryzen 7 Windows 11 issues with FPS

Post by pedro »

Has anyone used a AMD Ryzen 7 (W11) for acquiring images

I tested one recently and I consistently get half the FPS with all my imaging cameras (PGR/FLIR, ZWO...)

With my trusted PGR cameras I only get 9 FPS (tried several versions of Firecapture: 2.5, 2.6 & 2.7)

Any help is grettly appreciated

pupak

Re: AMD Ryzen 7 Windows 11 issues with FPS

Post by pupak »

This is a common problem not only with AMD. It wants to find the correct USB3 root driver.

I do not look at the sky with the eyes of an astronomer, but of a person looking for the beauty of nature.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Thanks, I will check it

pedro

Post by pedro »

I was able to solve the problem (faulty cable) but I am still struggling with Firecapture 2.7 (It gets stuck when I use the autorun options...)

I am using now mainly FC 2.6 64 bits version

Any thoughts?

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Im using a Ryzen 7 3800 but Win10 + the latest Firecapture for imaging. Setting USB-Settings in Firecapture is important, but for me it works.
But Firecapture is not very stable, sometimes it just freezes or needs to restart, dependent on what i do in the background. Nevertheless i use it because despite not being 100% stable it works fine.

Triband C9.25
H-a: Quark Chromosphere with BF mod
WL: Antlia 500nm/ 3nm, 393 nm/ 3nm
Ca-K: homebrew (includes 2x 1.5A filters, thanks Apollo)
Player One Apollo Max + Mars MII
Barlows:
-2x Gerd Düring 2.7x
-2x TMB 1.8x
pedro

Post by pedro »

Thanks for your feedback Dennis

I also use FC all the time with all my cameras (PGR, ZWO...).

I maily use FC2.5 (i7 computer) and now 2.6 with a new Ryzen 7 computer.

The only problem I have now is with FC 2.7. As you mentioned it is not very stable. The autorun function does not work properly (I always acquire 5 to 10 videos in a row with this function)

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Hi Pedro,
the autorun function i use a lot. But i have to set 2-3 seconds break between each video, then it works well for me. Without a short break between acquiering the videos it has problems (i guess closing the old / opening a new file takes a little time).

The pause button i avoid during this (doesnt work stable), to stop autorun i only use the "Abort" button.

I think it was a lot of work to transport the software to a different programming language (new version), im sure there will be stability updates after some time.

Triband C9.25
Barlows:
-2x Gerd Düring 2.7x
-2x TMB 1.8x
pedro

Post by pedro »

Thanks for your feedback Dennis. I will give it a go (2-3 seconds break between each video)

I also contacted Thorsten and I'm waiting for his answer

thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by thesmiths »

My guess is that FC2.7 uses VRAM to store the entire video file in DRAM and then writes the entire data to SSD. This requires some time (depending on the SSD write speed). I don't use autorun, but I have found issues if I take large video files too close together. I actually wait 5 seconds to make sure the write process completes (I often take 3GB files and I measured the write speed to be around 1 GB/s). You can use Crystal Disk Mark to find your SSD speed. The top figures are the relevant numbers for large video files. I am using a new Windows 11 Ryzen laptop and FC2.7.

Presumably if you turn off the VRAM feature, it will write directly to SSD and there will not be a required delay. I think earlier versions did not have a VRAM function (before FC2.7 beta).

1 TB USB-C NVMe SSD
1 TB USB-C NVMe SSD
Drive Z.JPG (71.16 KiB) Viewed 337 times

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

thesmiths wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:03 pm My guess is that FC2.7 uses VRAM to store the entire video file in DRAM and then writes the entire data to SSD. This requires some time (depending on the SSD write speed). I don't use autorun, but I have found issues if I take large video files too close together. I actually wait 5 seconds to make sure the write process completes (I often take 3GB files and I measured the write speed to be around 1 GB/s). You can use Crystal Disk Mark to find your SSD speed. The top figures are the relevant numbers for large video files. I am using a new Windows 11 Ryzen laptop and FC2.7.

Presumably if you turn off the VRAM feature, it will write directly to SSD and there will not be a required delay. I think earlier versions did not have a VRAM function (before FC2.7 beta).

Drive Z.JPG

That makes sense, thank you for the tip. I just wonder, why it was set as "standard" in the new version. Could also be fixed by code that makes Autorun wait until the writing is done (in an update).

Triband C9.25
Barlows:
-2x Gerd Düring 2.7x
-2x TMB 1.8x
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by thesmiths »

Dennis wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:15 am I just wonder, why it was set as "standard" in the new version. Could also be fixed by code that makes Autorun wait until the writing is done (in an update).
In general, the VRAM feature is quite positive since clearly writing to DRAM will always be significantly faster than writing to any SSD (left alone HDD). I believe during setup, it asks about configuring the VRAM feature -- the default is to set to 50% of the system DRAM. I would guess that if you overrun the VRAM amount during a capture, something unpredictable could occur. So definitely size the VRAM accordingly.

I have heard that SharpCap possibly has a more sophisticated way of handling VRAM as it does not appear to have glitches when writing large files one after another. This may mean it starts to write the files before the acquisition is complete (I have no idea if this hypothesis is true).

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

thesmiths wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:36 pm
Dennis wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:15 am I just wonder, why it was set as "standard" in the new version. Could also be fixed by code that makes Autorun wait until the writing is done (in an update).
In general, the VRAM feature is quite positive since clearly writing to DRAM will always be significantly faster than writing to any SSD (left alone HDD). I believe during setup, it asks about configuring the VRAM feature -- the default is to set to 50% of the system DRAM. I would guess that if you overrun the VRAM amount during a capture, something unpredictable could occur. So definitely size the VRAM accordingly.

I have heard that SharpCap possibly has a more sophisticated way of handling VRAM as it does not appear to have glitches when writing large files one after another. This may mean it starts to write the files before the acquisition is complete (I have no idea if this hypothesis is true).
Older systems will profit from this feature. But my SSDs were always faster then the camera, otherwise i wouldnt be able to do Autorun continuously. So im not using vram. still there is a "lag" after each file (1-2s), but thats ok.

Triband C9.25
Barlows:
-2x Gerd Düring 2.7x
-2x TMB 1.8x
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by thesmiths »

Dennis wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:52 pm my SSDs were always faster then the camera, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do Autorun continuously. So I'm not using VRAM. Still there is a "lag" after each file (1-2s), but that's ok.
I've noticed that the way it seems to work is that data is first written to some sort of intermediate file (with a funny file name extension) and then when acquisition is complete, it's all packaged into a final file format (SER, AVI, etc). So it's probably this final repackaging that requires a little extra time to complete (which probably depends on the speed of the CPU). You can monitor things during acquisition in the destination folder to figure out the timing.