November 21 2022 Observations

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

November 21 2022 Observations

Post by DeepSolar64 »

My session time is from 16:10 until 17:00 UTC. The skies are partly cloudy with fair/average seeing. The temperature is 45F ( 7.2C ).

Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS. 16x, 25x and 33x ( Ha )
I can see ten plage regions/active regions/disturbances in the 656.28nm chromosphere today! Beginning the session by looking at the GONG El Teide image I thought " I'll never see those smaller low contrast disturbances, I might get seven " but surprisingly I located all of them in the scope fairly quickly. The first four were really easy! The earlier KSO images show six regions in the northern hemisphere but only two numbered ones. SM shows one NE of AR13150 as AR13146. Only two of the five active regions in the southern hemisphere carries NOAA labeling on the KSO images.

AR13149 in the NE quadrant is bright and very easy to see. Two filaments can be seen just to it's east and further east is a more difficult low contrast disturbance in the chromosphere. The NW quadrant shows 4 active region disturbances. AR13150 is very near the limb but still visible. It's certainly not bright though. NE of it lies the low contrast plage of AR13146. It's faint but is certainly visible. Two small filaments lie just NE of it and well NE lies the last receding filaments of a partial solar crown. Two proms are on the limb with the northern one fairly tall and easy to see. South of AR13146 lies another disturbance of similar appearance. East of this region lies a filament with a lighter surrounding area.

The SW quadrant shows one of the two hardest to see disturbances on the disc. It's just a very slightly lighter ruffled area of chromosphere near a couple of filaments. South of this one on the limb lies three prominences. Two are very close together. At the CLM lies the very easy AR13148. I can see the fine filament crossing the main body of plage here. NW lies two more easier filaments among fainter scattered plage. I wonder if these plages and filaments are a part of a separate system or an extension of AR13148 itself. A much larger filament is seen SE of AR13148. NNE of AR13148 lies AR13147. It's very easy to see with a filament, spot and plage that is seen SE of the spot. The filament is east of the spot. Today's seeing is allowing me to see the disturbance in the spicule field surrounding AR13147! Just ESE lies another bright easy plage. It's almost certainly a separate system. A filament is seen in the far east. Just SE of it lies a mere disturbance that took a little effort to see. Today's better seeing made these lower contrast regions visible. Poor seeing like I have been having lately would have smeared them to invisibility. I can see five prominences on the SE limb. Some of these are faint and I cannot see the trailing south appendage on one of them that is shown on the GONG El Teide Ha image.

The mottles are seein across the disc.

Astro-Tech AT72EDII w/Altair wedge. 21.5x, 36x and 54x ( WL )
I can see nine active region disturbances on the continuum photosphere today! Four in the northern hemisphere with three being number labeled and Five in the southern hemisphere with only two bearing NOAA labeling.

A low contrast patch of faculae can be seen near the NE limb. Further west but still in the NE quadrant I can see AR13147 as two spots bridged by a double line of pores. The westernmost spot clearly shows umbra-penumbra form. In the far NW quadrant near the limb I can see two large pores surrounded by faculae. This is AR13150. AR13146 can be seen as a patch of faculae NE of AR13151. Due south of AR13146 is another low contrast patch of faculae that contains a tiny pore. I did not see these in the scope but they were revealed to me on the SDOHMI continuum image. I did pick up the area in Ha though.

A patch of faculae can be seen near the SW limb. It's associated with a low contrast disturbance also seen there in Ha. It's easier to see in white light though. On the CLM I can see AR13148 as three pores. Nothing more. NNE of AR13148 lies AR13147. It shows a wonderful large spot. It's umbra is somewhat teardrop shaped and the little umbralet has nearly attached to it's larger umbral neighbor being separated now only by a narrow light bridge. The penumbra is easily seen but I can still see no mottling to it. A small spot is seen to it's ESE and four more pores can be seen in the vicinity. ESE of AR13147 I can see another grouping of pores. About a half-dozen of them. It's a new system I think. A patch of low contrast faculae are seen near the SE limb. A disturbance was seen here in Ha also.

The fine granulation of the photosphere is visible without difficulty today.

Well it's back to work today. At least it's a short workweek.

James

GONGElTeideSP_Ha_11-21-22.jpg
GONGElTeideSP_Ha_11-21-22.jpg (477.74 KiB) Viewed 223 times
SDOHMIc_Color_11-21-22.jpg
SDOHMIc_Color_11-21-22.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 223 times
KSO_CaK_11-21-22.JPG
KSO_CaK_11-21-22.JPG (246.25 KiB) Viewed 223 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
DeepSolar64

Re: November 21 2022 Observations

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Aaron,
It's amazing what can be seen visually if you take the time to look and do more than a casual peek. Practice and a good current image to go by really helps. Though a good image can outdo visual easily, especially on high resolution close-ups I can often approach what can be seen on a decent full disc image visually in both Ha and WL. And I am not the only one. Alexandra and Marios have skills judging by their excellent sketches and Andrew does well visually, especially on viewing prominences. Good visual skills like imaging skills have to be learned but for me visual comes much more naturally.

And Alexandra has CaK vision!!

Do you do much visual work? I suspect you do since you have developed those polarizers for your eyepieces.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Sounds like you had a good and long session this time to see so much detail, lovely to read :hamster:

Alexandra

Martin_S

Post by Martin_S »

Thanks for your report James, I enjoy reading each one and appreciate all the effort you put into making such concise reports.

Martin

H alpha : ,Skywatcher 120mm F8 open frame refractor, a tilted 2" 7nm H-alpha filter as a sub energy rejection filter, Baader TZ4 telecentric focal extender, Player One energy rejection filter, Combo Quark Chromosphere, Naked PST etalon for double stacking, ASI74mm camera
MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Thanks for the detailed report James, it's always nice to read.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Yep, Visual experience certainly helps you understand what you read about and image. For me there is something special about seeing it " live "!!

Yep, cool story! :-)

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I am glad everyone finds my reports detailed and easy to read. Readability is something I strive at. It's not always easy. Thanks and you all are welcome.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Nice report James, it seems you had a nice view. I'm hoping this weekend I get a sunoculars view in thinner clouds.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Mark. Keep em’ at the ready.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars