80 minute animation from yesterday Up Over uʍop ɹǝpun

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Peterm
Almost There...
Almost There...

80 minute animation from yesterday Up Over uʍop ɹǝpun

Post by Peterm »

Howdy,

Finally have some Sun but accompanied by Westerly winds on our balcony. Here I present 80 minutes of animation I captured yesterday morning UT 2022/11/24 22:26 to 23:47

The animation is rotated 90deg clockwise with East towards the top. The monochrome image below is more or less correct orientation. I used my 5X Powermate with my 80mm single stacked Lunt and a ZWO432MM.

please click the image to view on my Astrobin page.

I should have mentioned and thought you may like to know how I control everything from indoors. The black "snake" has several 10m USB3 active cables that control the AVX mount through CPWI, the ZWO camera through SharpCap Pro4 and the Solar Scintillation monitor. A USB3 hub at the Celestron AVX connects the Hinode Solar Guider that is then connected to the ST4 port. The Moonlite DC focuser is controlled by a cable that goes back inside to a FCUSB and I use Focus Pal software for focussing. My laptop is plugged into a docking station that gives me access to 4USB3 ports at the rear. I also use my 40inch 4K TV as a 2nd monitor. Sure, it's old school cables but rarely if ever gives me any hassles. It gets very hot out on the balcony in summer, so I first protect me by being indoors and then try to "protect" the camera, mount, hand controller etc with windshield cover material as you can see in the pic.

One other thing is having a spare Celestron hand controller that I can plug into an AVX Auxillary port at the mount, this allows me to make any small changes after slewing the mount to centre the Sun for Polar alignment.

I have a long way to go in my Solar imaging journey but animations are what really excite me about Solar imaging, you can see a collection on my Astrobin page.

Thanks indeed for looking.

Best,
Peter
Gold Coast, Australia
Attachments
rotate08_31_55_lapl5_ap2329_out-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg
rotate08_31_55_lapl5_ap2329_out-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg (125.54 KiB) Viewed 619 times
col082640-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg
col082640-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg (127.61 KiB) Viewed 619 times
20221125_092158.jpg
20221125_092158.jpg (192.17 KiB) Viewed 619 times

Lunt 80Tha S/S & D/S / B1800; Quark Chromosphere; SkyWatcher 120 Evostar; Celestron SE6; Celestron AVX; Berlebach Planet; ZWO174MM & 432MM & 533MM; Powermate 5X; Lunt Solar Wedge; Hinode SG; Airy Labs SSM

Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/PeterM/
BOSS team: www.bosssupernova.com
Rusted
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: 80 minute animation from yesterday Up Over uʍop ɹǝpun

Post by Rusted »

Some nice images and animation Peter.
Lovely situation by the water too. That must help your local seeing conditions.

Whenever I see an imaging set-up I always look around for solar heated objects which might affect local seeing conditions.
There seems to be a dark box to the right which might benefit from a [temporary] white cover.

I can recommend white, lightweight tarpaulins as [temporary] thermal shades/covers.
This material reflects heat and remains at ambient temperature. Not ideal when it is windy.
Easily cut to size with scissors and dirt cheap too. Though relatively short lived if you have any hope of waterproofing.

The table, chairs and balcony rail have black metal frames. It might be worth moving the chairs away from the vicinity.
Temporarily cover the balcony rail and table with white material held by clothes pegs.
You only need to do this once. Just to see if it helps your local seeing.

An inexpensive "pistol" style thermometer is a handy tool for checking everything around the observing/imaging site.
Obsessive-compulsive behaviour, I know, but worth considering while you wait for a capture to end.

We often spend a fortune on equipment in trying to get the last bit of fine detail.
Then completely ignore the "red hot" objects around us. As a potential loss of fine detail due to convection currents. ;)

http://fullerscopes.blogspot.dk/

H-alpha: Baader 160mm D-ERF, iStar 150/10 H-alpha objective, 2" Baader 35nm H-a, 2" Beloptik KG3,
Lunt 60MT etalon, Lunt B1200S2 BF, Assorted T-S GPCs or 2x "Shorty" Barlow, ZWO ASI174.
pupak

Post by pupak »

Fantastic.

I do not look at the sky with the eyes of an astronomer, but of a person looking for the beauty of nature.
ffellah

Post by ffellah »

Very nice animation, pics and beautiful place to image from, Peter.

Franco

MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

What a beautiful place to image Peter, water helps to create a better seeing.
Nice images and animation.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Nice images and animation Peter! Lovely view on that balcony too!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
arnedanielsen

Post by arnedanielsen »

Beautiful work Peter!

Best regards,
Arne

Best regards,
Arne
--
AstroBin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/arnedani/
Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

Hello Peter,
Thanks for your brilliant post and animation.

I should add that I tend not to setup my solar when it is too hot as it can be too difficult to concentrate in very hot weather and I do not have solutions to protect equipment apart from a cardboard shade on the telescope tube. I can try your solutions.

May I add a suggestion to your video?
So to know when the end is present? To introduce a delay so you know a new loop is occurring.

Also, I do not see much point in the disc animation as that is not what you are imaging? Better to mask this out entirely. Then move the main subject into the centre.

How did you get so little noise, and such a dark background?

Superb!

Magnus

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

What a beautiful observing site. Water nearby should help your local seeing. I hope to get an AVX someday myself.

Nice images and I now know where Summer has gone!

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
DavidP
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by DavidP »

The tall structure in the animation is just amazing. Great capture

Peterm
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Peterm »

Rusted wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:07 am Some nice images and animation Peter.
Lovely situation by the water too. That must help your local seeing conditions.

Whenever I see an imaging set-up I always look around for solar heated objects which might affect local seeing conditions.
There seems to be a dark box to the right which might benefit from a [temporary] white cover.

I can recommend white, lightweight tarpaulins as [temporary] thermal shades/covers.
This material reflects heat and remains at ambient temperature. Not ideal when it is windy.
Easily cut to size with scissors and dirt cheap too. Though relatively short lived if you have any hope of waterproofing.

The table, chairs and balcony rail have black metal frames. It might be worth moving the chairs away from the vicinity.
Temporarily cover the balcony rail and table with white material held by clothes pegs.
You only need to do this once. Just to see if it helps your local seeing.

An inexpensive "pistol" style thermometer is a handy tool for checking everything around the observing/imaging site.
Obsessive-compulsive behaviour, I know, but worth considering while you wait for a capture to end.

We often spend a fortune on equipment in trying to get the last bit of fine detail.
Then completely ignore the "red hot" objects around us. As a potential loss of fine detail due to convection currents. ;)
Thanks so much for your reply Rusted,

You have touched on some thoughts I had. The chairs and box are all plastic with the timber bar table. I will see if moving things away from the scope does have a noticeable effect. The rail being metal is a good 4 feet way but could be a source of heat infront of the scope, so you have given me some ideas. I try to negate the effect of concrete tiles and walls around me by starting my imaging with a sun 10 degrees above the horizon so typically in Summer 530am to 930am, after that is something I have rarely done. Thanks to Covid we have a pistol style thermometer that can now be put to interesting use, had never thought of measuring the temperature of the scope etc.

Lunt 80Tha S/S & D/S / B1800; Quark Chromosphere; SkyWatcher 120 Evostar; Celestron SE6; Celestron AVX; Berlebach Planet; ZWO174MM & 432MM & 533MM; Powermate 5X; Lunt Solar Wedge; Hinode SG; Airy Labs SSM

Peterm
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Peterm »

Radon86 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:16 pm Hello Peter,
Thanks for your brilliant post and animation.

I should add that I tend not to setup my solar when it is too hot as it can be too difficult to concentrate in very hot weather and I do not have solutions to protect equipment apart from a cardboard shade on the telescope tube. I can try your solutions.

May I add a suggestion to your video?
So to know when the end is present? To introduce a delay so you know a new loop is occurring.
*This is a great suggestion Magnus. I can change the speed of the animation in GIMP but I will need to read up on GIMP and see how put a delay at the start, any ideas?

Also, I do not see much point in the disc animation as that is not what you are imaging? Better to mask this out entirely. Then move the main subject into the centre.
*Fair comment, this is something I try to present when I have enough time to process, so the way I am going of late is to present both the disk and proms. Often this has led to some surprising flares and other activity on the disk.

How did you get so little noise, and such a dark background?
*I do a lot of manipulation using ImPPG and then run the final images through Topaz Denoise.

Superb!

Magnus
Thank you so much!

Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Beautiful animation, Peter. I’m so jealous of your balcony view. It looks idyllic.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
Peterm
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Peterm »

Carbon60 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:56 am Beautiful animation, Peter. I’m so jealous of your balcony view. It looks idyllic.

Stu.
Thank you Stu, we are very lucky to live where do. The Solar viewing/imaging benefits came as an extra bonus!

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Superb animation and pictures and I really enjoyed the view, wow, you are on holiday permanently :)

:bow :hamster:

Alexandra

Peterm
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Peterm »

Montana wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:38 am Superb animation and pictures and I really enjoyed the view, wow, you are on holiday permanently :)

:bow :hamster:

Alexandra
Well thank you very much Alexandra and all who have viewed. I was rather chuffed to see my animation in the SPOD light! Big thanks! The rest of this week is out due to days of foul weather we are starting to experience.