Animation 3.5hours AR3182 & AR3184

An archive of all the best images Solar Chat has to offer!
Peterm
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Animation 3.5hours AR3182 & AR3184

Post by Peterm »

G’day all,
After this mornings Solar Chat Zoom that was both very sociable and motivating, I decided rather than hit the sack I would try my longest run imaging the Sun to date.

I wasn’t really looking for the 3.5hrs of animation that I ended up with. Taking the lead from Stephen saying just set up and keep imaging and might just get lucky with something like an X Class flare. So I was rather hoping something bright would just explode into view and I could trim it down. But yeah, nah, zilch, like waiting for nuthin to happen.

The seeing was at best just OK, all over the shop really. I knew what I was in for as Meteo Blue, Skippy Sky and Telescopius painted similar pictures...bad seeing. But the reality was as you can see by my Solar Scintillation Monitor graph, there were moments to play with.

Here it is, an attempt at 3.5hrs animation of AR3182 & the emerging AR3184. Captured UT 2022/01/8&9 22:02 to 01:32. Local time January 9th 802am to 1132am. Note 2 separate animations were merged as I did change the exposure from 7ms to 6ms as the Sun was brightening rapidly…probably should have left it and let PixInsight try balance out later. I have learnt a lot from this exercise and hope to put that into use from hereon in.

Equipment: Lunt 80mm single stack, B1800 blocking filter, Hinode Solar Guider, Solar Scintillation monitor, Celestron AVX mount, ZWO432MM, Powermate X5. Toothpicks for my eyelids and coffee, lots of coffee.

Thanks for looking.
Peter

please click on the link to my astrobin page. It may take a moment to load as it is 230mb... I need to work on that!
Attachments
ssmto1130am.JPG
ssmto1130am.JPG (58.09 KiB) Viewed 988 times

Lunt 80Tha S/S & D/S / B1800; Quark Chromosphere; SkyWatcher 120 Evostar; Celestron SE6; Celestron AVX; Berlebach Planet; ZWO174MM & 432MM & 533MM; Powermate 5X; Lunt Solar Wedge; Hinode SG; Airy Labs SSM

Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/PeterM/
BOSS team: https://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/medi ... ia-release
Averton

Re: Animation 3.5hours AR3182 & AR3184

Post by Averton »

Wow - we admire the commitment Peter!
Not sure about your assessment of not much happening in the animation. The more we watched the more we saw happening and in light of this morning's discussions, could spend hours trying to classify all of the events.

Clare & Peter
MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Spectaculaire animation Peter.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
rigel123

Post by rigel123 »

I applaud your tenacity to get 3.5 hours on an animation! Despite changing the exposure the image is amazingly stable other than the blip when you see the limb brighten. Amazing amount of activity with all the surge proms and coronal rain going on at the limb as well as a tree prom with rotation in it. Add to that a number of small ribbon flares and I think the best thing is you can see the difference as to how surge proms present themselves from the ones on the limb to how they appear around AR3182 which is facing us as short eruptive filaments. Great job!

Warren

Lunt LS60T DS
Orion ED80T CF
Meade ETX LS6
Lunt CaK BF1200
Lunt WL Wedge
Baader Photographic Film
ASI174MM
Skyris 236M
Player One Saturn-M SQR

https://www.astrobin.com/users/rigel123/
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Oh my!!! nothing going on? I spent ages watching this, there is so much going on. From ribbon flares, arch filaments, micro flares following field lines, to the limb where there is surging, coronal rain and and transfer from ones side to the other. This is absolutely fascinating (once loaded) and is a treasure! :movie :movie :movie

Alexandra