Lunt CaK

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Lunt CaK

Post by TareqPhoto »

Hi,

I am close to go with a CaK module so i can have results in that band, and the only option i really feel comfortable to buy because of name and results is Lunt CaK, so now i only have one mission to complete about it, which module?

If i use a maximum refr aperture i can have let's say 150mm something, and i stopped this own to about 80-100mm, so which module to buy, B600 or B1200? I will use small aperture scopes with the module too, so B600 is definitely enough, but for this 150>80/100, will B600 be enough?

I also will choose the straight-thru version, not interested in the diagonal version.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Lunt CaK

Post by marktownley »

I would go with the b1200 tareq

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:11 am I would go with the b1200 tareq
Ok
Is it working fine with smaller scopes such as 60mm or 70/80mm ones?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Yes. Absolutely fine.

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:47 am Yes. Absolutely fine.
Perfect, thank you very much

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Time to get back to this topic.

I ordered the Lunt CaK B1200 already, just waiting it to be in stock and shipped to me, i am thrilled and can't wait.

So, what else i should think about to use with this Lunt CaK B1200 module? Any accessories or whatever to make it better performance?

Thanks

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

When you receive the filter, just try it out with "Is it working fine with smaller scopes such as 60mm or 70/80mm ones? "

But of course for CaK you'll need to try it with one of your suitable-cameras, then post the results here for us to comment...

Terry

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:47 pm When you receive the filter, just try it out with "Is it working fine with smaller scopes such as 60mm or 70/80mm ones? "

But of course for CaK you'll need to try it with one of your suitable-cameras, then post the results here for us to comment...

Terry
Yes definitely, actually i was more thinking about accessories and not scopes or cameras as those are always there waiting, but is it just as "Plug & Play" type and no need anything else?

The module i ordered or chose is the Straight-thru one and not the diagonal one.

For like accessories, let's say if i want to use a focal extender or Barlow, should i place that before the module or after? If before what kind of protection i need then? And also if i try to use a reducer 0.5x, before or after the module? I will try without those first, but i want to be safe if i will use them as well.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hi Tareq,

You really don't want to be using a reducer at all with CAK, it will only be detremental to performance. Barlows should go after the CAK module and before the camera. The best thing you will do is to stop down the aperture of your scope when imaging in CAK

Mark

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:32 pm Hi Tareq,

You really don't want to be using a reducer at all with CAK, it will only be detremental to performance. Barlows should go after the CAK module and before the camera. The best thing you will do is to stop down the aperture of your scope when imaging in CAK

Mark
Hi Mark,

Sorry for late reply, and thank you for your answers always :)

Great, so i think the best scope i have now which allow me to stop down the scope is my ST80 as it came with that aperture mask, i really wish if i can 3D print or find something for other scopes such as 60mm doublet which has 80mm outer diameter or 90mm triplet which has 120mm diameter.

Still the item isn't in stock to be shipped for me, so that will take really long time, could be nearly end of this month or next month[year], who knows, the weather nowadays is cooler and nicer so i can image the sun better than EXTREME summer, hopefully it will be nice condition for that so i can test this CaK and also Quark once the ERF filter is arriving.

Tareq

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Good luck and enjoy the cooler conditions!

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:09 pm Good luck and enjoy the cooler conditions!
Thanks

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Very bad service or big mistake, i don't know if this can be solved or sorted out at all.

My Lunt CaK was shipped to a wrong address by UPS, and i am still waiting the message or reply from the site i ordered from to fix this problem, i put the correct address and waited nearly 1 month until the product is back in stock and they shipped it automatically then, and then i waited over 1 week after it was shipped to find out that it was shipped to wrong address, it sounds i don't have any luck in imaging, many items i buy very very late and coming to me late to find out they are missing few more things or like now the item is to wrong address.

I won't post here maybe even with what i already have until i have all gear here available and ready, in fact i am more exciting to image with Cak than Ha with Quark.

galaxie427
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by galaxie427 »

Hopefully, the person at the wrong address is honorable and not a thief so you will get your filter back ASAP.
I assume you or your Lunt vendor already filed a claim with UPS. Wishing you some good luck and speedy recovery of your Cak filter!

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

This is a UPS fault, they should fully refund Lunt or the Vendor so they can ship to you again, it is not your fault and so hopefully will be rectified soon. That's bad luck indeed :( :(

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Not good! :(

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Well, I will wait a bit and see, as maybe Friday-Sunday the vendor is closed, so from Monday they should be back to work and i hope or expecting a response from them, now it is two sides in this problem, one of them if not both must solve it, or refund me at the end, i was hoping to get that filter by this month earlier, the camera arrived already, but i will keep following and see, don't know if the wrong address is a company or a person or even a prison there who knows, i will keep you noted what is going on.

Thanks

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Very bad news!!!

The store didn't message me anything at all about the item, i messaged them last i remember by January and they said they will try to fix it soon, now we are in March and nothing from them, so since Nov last year until now i don't know where is my ordered Lunt CaK, the store says the manufacturer Lunt is responsible, Lunt didn't reply the store so they didn't reply me, and the shipping address also say it is not their fault it went to wrong address, now i am not sure what to do really, is it still time to contact the store or even to refund me if possible? will Lunt refund for example or send another item this time?
The store told me before i order that they can send that Lunt directly from manufacturer to the shipping address without passing the store, wish if they shipped to store first at least, my Lunt used the wrong address by mistake, i checked the shipping address by the store and it is correct perfectly, so in this case after all that wait, what is the solution or what to do?

I even didn't use my Quark chromo since last year or the new planetary cameras i bought, waiting this Lunt made me to ignore everything really.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Have you tried phoning the store?

galaxie427
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by galaxie427 »

Tareq, If your package was delivered incorrectly, you’ll need to reach out to UPS with all of the information possible about your package and file a claim.
Maybe you did this already.

Luka

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:20 am Have you tried phoning the store?
Phoning the store will cost me, but i will try to email them, but for this issue i think phoning is the way.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

galaxie427 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:17 pm Tareq, If your package was delivered incorrectly, you’ll need to reach out to UPS with all of the information possible about your package and file a claim.
Maybe you did this already.

Luka
I reached UPS of course and they said it wasn't their fault, and even the address can't take the fault as they didn't receive anything, and i contacted the store and they said they are trying to contact with the manufacturer [Lunt], but sound none of them trying to fix anything, Lunt shouldn't take that much long unless they don't care, all people gave them high reputation so the service should be there including lost/missing packages they send.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

WOW, i can't believe it, how long it took, finally the store emailed me saying that the replacement has been shipped, so i am waiting for this time it will arrive to the correct address or destination then right to me, i hope this time no mistakes, i can't wait, no actually i can wait, it is very very hot and high humidity now and i waited since last year for it anyway so i can wait a bit more to use it if it arrives safely and correct.

Thank you very much all, and sorry for many posts, just wanted to give the update news about it, and i will post once things gone alright and smooth.

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

TareqPhoto wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:34 pm WOW, i can't believe it, how long it took, finally the store emailed me saying that the replacement has been shipped, so i am waiting for this time it will arrive to the correct address or destination then right to me, i hope this time no mistakes, i can't wait, no actually i can wait, it is very very hot and high humidity now and i waited since last year for it anyway so i can wait a bit more to use it if it arrives safely and correct.

Thank you very much all, and sorry for many posts, just wanted to give the update news about it, and i will post once things gone alright and smooth.

Thats great news, i hope it arrives well this time. All the best.

Triband C9.25
H-a: Quark Chromosphere with BF mod
WL: Antlia 500nm/ 3nm, 393 nm/ 3nm
Ca-K: homebrew (includes 2x 1.5A filters, thanks Apollo)
Player One Apollo Max + Mars MII
Barlows:
-2x Gerd Düring 2.7x
-2x TMB 1.8x
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Fantastic news :hamster: :hamster: :hamster:

Alexandra

galaxie427
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by galaxie427 »

:band Wonderful news, Tareq.....glad your good luck is back!

Luka

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Dennis wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:44 pm
TareqPhoto wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:34 pm WOW, i can't believe it, how long it took, finally the store emailed me saying that the replacement has been shipped, so i am waiting for this time it will arrive to the correct address or destination then right to me, i hope this time no mistakes, i can't wait, no actually i can wait, it is very very hot and high humidity now and i waited since last year for it anyway so i can wait a bit more to use it if it arrives safely and correct.

Thats great news, i hope it arrives well this time. All the best.
Thank you very much, Dennis!

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Montana wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:08 am Fantastic news :hamster: :hamster: :hamster:

Alexandra
Alexandra, thank you :)

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

galaxie427 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:23 pm :band Wonderful news, Tareq.....glad your good luck is back!

Luka
Thank you Luka, i really hope i have a good luck, we will see :D

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

It arrived the correct address and now it is in the way to me i hope, i can wait, now i have to prepare myself, but do i need to use anything with Lunt CaK like ND filter or anything else?

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

No, just use it and enjoy it.

No other ERF filter is needed so long as the aperture is 100mm max. Remember f10 is key to maximum contrast, so stop down your aperture to get to f10 if you can.

Alexandra

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Montana wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:10 pm No, just use it and enjoy it.

No other ERF filter is needed so long as the aperture is 100mm max. Remember f10 is key to maximum contrast, so stop down your aperture to get to f10 if you can.

Alexandra
Excellent, i will remember that.

I just have one last question to end this topic, i bought Lunt CaK the straight Thru module type, is it a good choice or same performance to the Lunt diagonal module? I wan to know the main difference and if one is better than another or not.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

They are both the same really, the diagonal is better for visual (obviously), but the straight through has less glass so in principle better for imaging. I have the diagonal and I think it is great for both.

Alexandra

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Montana wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:15 pm They are both the same really, the diagonal is better for visual (obviously), but the straight through has less glass so in principle better for imaging. I have the diagonal and I think it is great for both.

Alexandra
Perfect, i bought the straight through for the imaging purpose in fact, because i don't know what to see in CaK anyway, and i can add a diagonal if i want to for visual, so nice to hear that both are the same, thank you very much Alexandra.

Now i really don't have much to talk about it here, the only thing is when i receive the item when it arrives, so only that news i will post later, thank you very much all for all kind of help and interest, and sorry i didn't post any results about solar, this site is the reason to push me for solar astronomy really.

Tareq

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

The package arrived finally and was delivered safely, i was almost giving up since i ordered it last year, thank you very much all since you followed me here, thank you :)

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

:hamster: :hamster: :hamster: :hamster: :hamster: :hamster: :hamster: :hamster:

christian viladrich

Post by christian viladrich »

:band Great news !!

Christian Viladrich
Co-author of "Planetary Astronomy"
http://planetary-astronomy.com/
Editor of "Solar Astronomy"
http://www.astronomiesolaire.com/
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

christian viladrich wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:46 pm :band Great news !!
:lol: Thank you

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Great to hear Tareq!

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

marktownley wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:40 am Great to hear Tareq!
Thank you too :)