Maier ITF replacement

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
GUS
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Maier ITF replacement

Post by GUS »

Replacing a rusted PST ITF with a Maier ITF, where does the rubber O ring go? The old one didn't have one. I installed in this order, ITF, O ring and threaded retaining ring. Is it supplied to stop one over tightening the retaining ring?
Ivan

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Maier ITF replacement

Post by marktownley »

I guess is to stop over tightening.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

GUS wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:36 am Replacing a rusted PST ITF with a Maier ITF, where does the rubber O ring go? The old one didn't have one. I installed in this order, ITF, O ring and threaded retaining ring. Is it supplied to stop one over tightening the retaining ring?
Ivan
The gasket is to avoid tightening the filter to avoid strain; keep in mind the ITF is taking the primary brunt of the thermal load of the light cone at that point, so while it's not getting very hot, it is warming and if it were under stress from a tightening mechanism it would just crack eventually. The gasket also helps tilt things slightly which is good for reflections.

Very best,

DavidG
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by DavidG »

Nope. Chris provides the 0 ring because the active area of his filters is slight smaller then the original so it is to prevent any light leaks. On of the keys to making these filters last is to seal them against O2 and water. So the coatings are not applied out it the very edge like the original Meade ITF. Chris scribes the edge of the filter were the two piece of glass come together. The scribed area around the edge of the filter is then filled with epoxy to seal it and also a metal ring is place around the filter to help with additional sealing. These methods are one reason why his filters have a much long life span then the original Meade ITF. I have one his ITF's that is 10 years old now and still looks perfect.

- Dave

Engineering = Take what you have and making what you need
GUS

Post by GUS »

Thanks all. David, thats interesting regarding the Maier ITF, makes sense regarding the O ring. The Beloptik ITF seems to be full aperture, from what I remember when installing one a few years back.