SolarScope etalon

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
MAURITS
Way More Fun to Share It!!

SolarScope etalon

Post by MAURITS »

Valery,

I use a SolarSpectrum 0.7A that I have double stacked, to see more depth and surface details.

I asked owner Oliver Smie from Beloptik Germany (Dresden) to think about a double stack solution for my setup and he suggested the SolarScope UK etalon.

Indeed there is no information about that etalon on his website, just email Oliver and he will answer fore sure.

After a short waiting time, I have double stack it with the received SolarScope UK (the original from Isle of Man) 30mm from Beloptik.
It works very well in the configuration and has no ghost image.

The SolarScope UK 30mm etalon is already mounted in a 2" tube (cell ... adapter...) with in-build tilt mechanic and a small tuning wheel (pic 3), the 2" cell has T2 thread on both ends M/F.

I use the Baader M68 Tele-Compendium to avoid sag in the imaging train and inside the Tele-Compendium there is a 5x Telecentric again from Beloptik Germany. (5x Telecentric a time ago suggested by you Valery, thanks for that).

On "my website" you can see more about the SolarSpectrum and SolarScope UK etalon setup under "Equipment".

Here some pics from the SolarScope 30mm etalon and configuration with the SolarSpectrum and Baader Zenith Prisma!

In the configuration, last pic, the SolarScope UK etalon "Double stack" Ha filter with small tuning wheel, between the Baader prisma and the Baader M68 Tele-Compendium.
Only a small part with the little tuning wheel is visible.

So the SolarScope T2 male thread (pic 1-3) mounted on the Baader Prisma and the SolarScope 2" cell (pic 2) inside the Baader M68 Tele-Compendium ... (pic 4).

1.jpg
1.jpg (99.81 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (112.27 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (122.81 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
IMG_20220516_143630 crop.jpg
IMG_20220516_143630 crop.jpg (608.03 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
Last edited by MAURITS on Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
Valery

Re: SolarScope etalon

Post by Valery »

Thanks, Maurits!

What is the price for this 30mm etalon?

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Valery wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:04 pm Thanks, Maurits!

What is the price for this 30mm etalon?

Valery
A year ago I paid 1800,-€ inclusive shipping.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

That is a very good price!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Valery

Post by Valery »

marktownley wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:29 pm That is a very good price!
Really? LS35 and LS40 are much cheaper, I believe. I do use my LS35 to double stack my Quarks and it works just fine.

Valery.

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

I think with the release and price of the Lunt 40, it is likely the best etalon for custom jobs, both primary or double stacking. No crazy work to harvest it. Simple known threads to adapt it. Easy to just put it behind a true telecentric amp and you're in business. And if Lunt releases it as a double stack (soon?) it will be even less expensive to get two of them. They are short, so you could get two Lunt 40's and have RAF Camera make the holding chambers, a Baader TZ4 telecentric and the two Lunt 40's in their chambers stacked together will be less than 200mm, and work very well with the telecentric. A blocking filter can be put before the 2nd etalon, or after both, depending on the camera used. The IMX432 doesn't need a reducer, so it makes more sense to use that with such a setup and avoid a reducer. This could be built for around $2k +the RAF camera chamber's cost.

Granted, that's in the States (Lunt). I imagine a UK origin item might be a better price for folk in EU/UK/Asia?

Very best,

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Valery wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:54 pm
marktownley wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:29 pm That is a very good price!
Really? LS35 and LS40 are much cheaper, I believe. I do use my LS35 to double stack my Quarks and it works just fine.

Valery.
Maybe, I think Marty hits it on the head. Maybe exchange rate is a factor. I agree the Lunts are cheaper in their raw form.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!