My first result on C-2022 E3 ZTF, Lum details lost...

Lets brighten up peoples live with all those lovely pictures of the world around us!

Moderator: Montana

H-Alpha
Almost There...
Almost There...

My first result on C-2022 E3 ZTF, Lum details lost...

Post by H-Alpha »

Hi all,

As promised in a previous post, here are my first results on the comet processed with PixInsight.

I am very new with PixInsight and tried hard the last 2-3 weeks (as anyone starting with this software..., sometimes I think that the creators made a so precious software, but either it was not intended to be used by so many people, or ...they were a bit sadists; I am joking of course, but I am sure they could make it more user friendly as many other software).

My main problems are two:

1) My data (3x60' for each R, G, B and 60x60 Lum) were taken when the beautiful and 'bright' ion tail had started to faint, so it appears very faint in my stacked (integrated) images. Therefore, I suppose that even for an experienced PixInsight user, it would not going to be super-easy, but who knows, since I do not know any experienced PixInsighter to ask for help.

2) Although I have some nice details in my streched Lum, the noise from the star residuals prevents me from processing the Lum properly, so when I add it to my RGB, very few details are left and the tail becomes very faint. If not, the noise of the background is very high.

I used the StarExterminator, NoiseExterminator (also DBE, CC and other) and made Archsine streches in PS then again TopazDenoise and various Photoshop tricks (of which I am not proud or happy...) to achieve the following:

Image2023-2-14, C-2022 E3 ZTF by H- Alpha, on Flickr

And this is my streched Luminance, where the residuals of stars and much more details of the comet ion tail are visible:

ImageLum_DBE PS archsine streched cropped by H- Alpha, on Flickr

Any comment is very welcome ;-)

Best wishes,
Alexandros

PS: The tutorial by Adam Block probably has the solution for star residuals, but this part of the video is only described by words without details and so an un-expirienced user of PixInsight cannot apply this crucial part.

Alexandros
Lunt 130MT+1800BF, C8 Ultima PEC+AstroSolar, Skywatcher Mount EQ6-R Pro
Baader Solar Prism, ZEISS Abbe Barlow 2x, Celestron Barlow 2x Ultima Series
ZWO ASI290MM, ZWO ASI1600MM Pro,
Greece
rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: My first result on C-2022 E3 ZTF, Lum details lost...

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

Excellent result for this finicky comet

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Wow!!! this is incredible, well done!!! :bow :bow :bow I've not heard many good comments about Pixinsight ;) unless of course you have a degree in it :)

Alexandra

rigel123

Post by rigel123 »

This is great Alexandros! You are not alone with Pixinsight. Those who understand it, love it. Myself it is way too complicated and although there are many tutorials I struggle to do just basic processing with it after owning it for 10 years!!

Warren

Lunt LS60T DS
Orion ED80T CF
Meade ETX LS6
Lunt CaK BF1200
Lunt WL Wedge
Baader Photographic Film
ASI174MM
Skyris 236M
Player One Saturn-M SQR

https://www.astrobin.com/users/rigel123/
KMH
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by KMH »

Great result! Regarding PI - we (well, mostly my wife) share your pain! I think it will eventually be worth it, but it's a long, steep learning curve. My wife has found YouTube tutorials by "Nebulosity Media", "Utah Desert Remote Observatory", and "Visible Dark" to be helpful. The Adam Block stuff looks really good but we haven't done any of his paid lessons.

Kevin

H-Alpha
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by H-Alpha »

Thank you all for your comments! :-)
KMH wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:39 pm Great result! Regarding PI - we (well, mostly my wife) share your pain! I think it will eventually be worth it, but it's a long, steep learning curve. My wife has found YouTube tutorials by "Nebulosity Media", "Utah Desert Remote Observatory", and "Visible Dark" to be helpful. The Adam Block stuff looks really good but we haven't done any of his paid lessons.

Kevin
Dear Kevin, thanks to you I started with Visible Dark and Adam Block for the comet. But in every step they were not providing all the details, I was going to other youtubers to find answers. It is a very long way to go... And since it is the second time I try to make my first steps with PxInsight, I will make sure that this time I write down every step I make forward (which makes the learning curve apart from steep very long as well...).

Best wishes,
Alexandros

Alexandros
Lunt 130MT+1800BF, C8 Ultima PEC+AstroSolar, Skywatcher Mount EQ6-R Pro
Baader Solar Prism, ZEISS Abbe Barlow 2x, Celestron Barlow 2x Ultima Series
ZWO ASI290MM, ZWO ASI1600MM Pro,
Greece
KMH
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by KMH »

H-Alpha wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:54 pm Thank you all for your comments! :-)
KMH wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:39 pm Great result! Regarding PI - we (well, mostly my wife) share your pain! I think it will eventually be worth it, but it's a long, steep learning curve. My wife has found YouTube tutorials by "Nebulosity Media", "Utah Desert Remote Observatory", and "Visible Dark" to be helpful. The Adam Block stuff looks really good but we haven't done any of his paid lessons.

Kevin
Dear Kevin, thanks to you I started with Visible Dark and Adam Block for the comet. But in every step they were not providing all the details, I was going to other youtubers to find answers. It is a very long way to go... And since it is the second time I try to make my first steps with PxInsight, I will make sure that this time I write down every step I make forward (which makes the learning curve apart from steep very long as well...).

Best wishes,
Alexandros
Oops, sorry, I forgot I had already mentioned that! As you suggest, my wife has also taken very detailed notes on everything she's done and on the tutorials. She hasn't found any one tutorial that's ideal (at least for our pictures), but has experimented with mixing step A from one, step B from another, and so on. Looks like you're making great progress on it!

Kevim

ffellah

Post by ffellah »

Truly excellent images, Alexandros !

Franco