Wolfgang Lille equipment, how to use It?

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
Jones1403
The Sun?
The Sun?

Wolfgang Lille equipment, how to use It?

Post by Jones1403 »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so please bear with me. I recently got hold of some equipment built by Wolfgang Lille (see included pictures). To me the name was unknown but after reading up on it, it seems that he is pretty well known in the solar observation world.The kit includes a Herschel Prism for white light solar observation and a 120mm D-ERF filter a combination of a telecentric barlow (unknown make), an 0.8A etalon, a zenit mirror and a tiltable blocking filter for h-alpha solar observation. At the same time, I also acquired an 80mm f/7 triplet objective out of an Astrotech scope.

From this triplet I have built a prototype Frankenstein-type refractor telescope, with a 3D printed lens cell, a PVC tube and a 2.5" Moonlite focuser I had lying around (included pictures). The telescope works, tested it with Baader Astrosolar film ND 5.0 first (safest option), but I want to try and see if I can use the Wolfgang Lille material. So here follow My questions.

1. Can I trust this H-Alpha equipment from Wolfgang Lille? What to look out for before risking my eyes.
2. Is the H-alpha equipment a good match for my f/7 objective? I read somewhere that at least f/10 is needed. Can someone explain to me why?
3. what is the purpose of a tiltable blocking filter?
4. can I remove the zenit mirror from the h-alpha stack? As I would primarily use this for imaging. Physically, I know I can, but what is the impact. At least all the filters are still in place. the only difference would be the distance from the etalon to the camera would change.

Curiously awaiting your answers :D
Jones
IMG_2767.JPEG
IMG_2767.JPEG (928.17 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
IMG_2768.JPEG
IMG_2768.JPEG (989.62 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
IMG_2769.JPEG
IMG_2769.JPEG (601.57 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
Attachments
IMG_2770.JPEG
IMG_2770.JPEG (508.58 KiB) Viewed 1094 times