Etalon problems

Frankenscope? Let's see it!***be advised that NOTHING in this forum has been safety tested and you are reading and using these posts at your own peril. blah, blah, blah... dont mess around with your eyesight when it comes to solar astronomy. Use appropriate filtration at all times...
c_molders
The Sun?
The Sun?

Etalon problems

Post by c_molders »

Hello,
problem: I have been using a refractor 100mm F9 with a D-Erffilter, Coronado PST etalon and a Coronado BF10 for years to great satisfaction. In the composition of this solar telescope I also use some filters that I have seen in Solarchat.
I made beautiful shots.
Question: the etalon is defective and beyond repair, lens broken.
I've tried to buy an etalon but that doesn't work in Europe, only a new PST is for sale but I'd better spend the money on something better. What can I do best? Buy a Lunt LS50 and make a new composition with my current refractor and D-Erf filter or buy a Daystar? What is best recommended? Now I can't do anything and I can't take any sun shots either.
Please information.
Best regards. Solar

MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Etalon problems

Post by MalVeauX »

Hi,

I would consider the Lunt 40 etalons. They're inexpensive and tilt tuned. RAFCamera already has plans for a chamber to be machined to hold it. You just put it behind a telecentric like Baader TZ4 and you are back in business. Plus you can get a 2nd one and double stack.

Very best,

pupak

Post by pupak »

I would recommend the Quark combo chromosphere. You also get a quality BF 20mm for cameras with a larger chip.

I do not look at the sky with the eyes of an astronomer, but of a person looking for the beauty of nature.
c_molders
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by c_molders »

Hello solarfriends, Many thanks for the information, several tips worth considering.
You are very helpfull!
Regards Solar

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

By the sounds of it local availabiiity may be your governing factor here.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro »

Hi

Seems to me you have four options.

Firstly get a secondhand PST to replace your broken etalon, you have high likelihood of finding one cheap with worn out filters.

Second is get a Quark, generally they they are good and a good dealer will sort you a good one.

Third is as suggested a Lunt 40 and have fun setting that up to your scope, from what we have see here they work well.

Or forth do the same with a Lunt 50.

Personally I am with Pupak and the Quark as they work out of the box with many different scopes, I have used three different Quarks and all work well, just don't drop them. My Quark I took from my SS60 DS and made an adapter to use it on my 6" with just a uv/ir filter, use it on my 102 the same way and for full disks pop it back on the 60mm. It is several years old now. The ASI 174 chip fits the Quark output perfect.

If you have done a successful PST mod then any of the above is well within your capabilities.

Cheers Rod

c_molders
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by c_molders »

By the sounds of it local availabiiity may be your governing factor here.

Hi Mark,

Indeed, but that is not a problem.
Solar.

c_molders
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by c_molders »

Rod,
Thanks for your answer. I have a choise now. I will look for the best solution. Maybe there are modification examples on Solarchat.In the past I saw them.
Regards Solar.