Uv/ir cut

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
alessbonsai
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Uv/ir cut

Post by alessbonsai »

in WL with astrosolar, in front of the 540nm filter do I have to use a uv/ir filter? is the Baader filter suitable or do I have to use one in particular

Dennis
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Uv/ir cut

Post by Dennis »

It might give better results. Baader recommends a uv/ir cut filter for visual use with the 540nm filter and the shown bandpass ranges from 400nm-700nm. So i would try it out and see if a difference is there.

Triband C9.25
H-a: Quark Chromosphere with BF mod
WL: Antlia 500nm/ 3nm, 393 nm/ 3nm
Ca-K: homebrew (includes 2x 1.5A filters, thanks Apollo)
Player One Apollo Max + Mars MII
Barlows:
-2x Gerd Düring 2.7x
-2x TMB 1.8x
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I usually do, the older versions of the Baader Continuum didn't block very far IR so tended to make imaging blurry. If you have one, use it anyway, it won't change anything if you don't need it but will make a huge improvement if you do need it :)

Alexandra

alessbonsai
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by alessbonsai »

i have the new version of the uv/ircut filter. I can mount the 1.25 filter directly on the nose of the camera … camera-filter540-barlowtv2x-uv/ir-herschel filter…

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I would mount that uv/ir cut much higher up the optical train if you can

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
alessbonsai
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by alessbonsai »

I always get confused… at the top you mean near the sensor or the telescope? My doubt is, can a filter immediately after the sensor worsen the performance of the powermate or telecentric in general?

DavidP
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by DavidP »

Generally, when we talk about before or after in an optical train we are referencing the path of light in time. So with a refractor, first is the objective lens, last is the detector.
It seems to be good practice to put the UV/IR filter closer to the refractor objective. The earlier you can reject heat causing energy, the better. This lessons the potential to build up heat in the system. When Mark says higher up, he means earlier in the incoming light path or closer to the refractor objective.