H-alpha, H-beta and CaH SHG images from May 21

An archive of all the best images Solar Chat has to offer!
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

H-alpha, H-beta and CaH SHG images from May 21

Post by thesmiths »

In This is Solarchat I posted a mosaic of these three wavelengths: viewtopic.php?t=40803. I will post the individual images here. 106mm aperture, 720mm focal length telescope. The Ca-H image was done with a 72mm aperture mask (and probably the H-beta might have benefited from a 90mm mask). ZWO 183MM camera under FireCapture, AS!3, ImPPG, Photoshop Elements. All scans were done in the DEC direction with an ROI length of 3304 pixels; width 120 pixels for Ca-H, 100 pixels for H-alpha, 70 pixels for H-beta -- the width of the ROI depended on the width of the spectral line. The narrower the ROI, the higher the fps the camera can output and therefore the higher the scan rate and shorter the acquisition time.

H-alpha, stack of 16 scans. Exposure 2ms, gain zero, 386fps.

H-beta, stack of 12 scans. Exposure 0.8ms, gain zero, 479fps.

Ca-H, stack of 9 scans. Exposure 3ms, gain 13%, 318fps.

Ca-H SHG data reprocessed to bring out the Calcium prominences. There is good correspondence with the H-alpha prominences (see inverted H-alpha image below)

rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: H-alpha, H-beta and CaH SHG images from May 21

Post by rsfoto »

Hi Doug,

Astonishing SHG images. They look like if they were made with etalons of normal filters but not with a Spectroheliograph.

Very well done. I have been clouded out since several days but had time to finally finish the braking system of my Land Rover and it is working as it should work.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
KMH
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by KMH »

Those are terrific - very impressive!

Kevin

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Oh my!!! these are delicious, I can't work out whether Hbeta or CaH is my favourite :bow :bow :bow :hamster: what a box of chocolates!

Alexandra

vineyard
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by vineyard »

These are outstanding. There is a "feel" about the Ha which is very different - more organic - than classic Ha etalon photos. Is that b/c of the SHG? And the CaH w the prominences is a feast for the eyes.

I'm sorry I missed the zoom on SHG you gave as we had guests - did that end up being recorded?

thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by thesmiths »

vineyard wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:42 am There is a "feel" about the Ha which is very different - more organic - than classic Ha etalon photos. Is that b/c of the SHG?

I'm sorry I missed the zoom on SHG you gave as we had guests - did that end up being recorded?
Yes, there was a recording made. You can find it here: viewtopic.php?t=40847

There is a different feel to the SHG images. I think it's because they are typically full disks with both high spatial resolution (if the aperture is large enough) and with very high contrast, which I think increases the sense of depth and texture. I think you could get the same effect in H-alpha if you had a double-stacked 100mm etalon system -- that would give almost as high spectral resolution (i.e. contrast) and equivalent spatial resolution. But double-stacked 100mm is so expensive that you don't see images like that very often.

You can get even better spatial resolution and similar spectral resolution on a narrow field of view (i.e. with a quark + etalon) but that does lose the impact of the full disk. And for Calcium images, typical images are not really very narrowband since they are filters rather than etalons. I have once seen an H-beta etalon but they seem very rare (I think also hard to make since the H-beta line is much narrower than H-alpha).

Alun_H
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Alun_H »

Superb set of spectroheliograms Douglas and congratulations on SPoD,well deserved :bow

Alun

Lunt 50THa solar scope
Lunt CaK B12 module
SW Evostar 72ED for full disk imaging
Sol'Ex SHG
80mm f/7 achromat used with pressure tune module off the Lunt with Lunt 100mm ERF
Bresser 90 f/10 achromat used for CaK & white light imaging & PST mod with Lunt 100mm ERF
Coronado SM40 (pre Meade) and BF10 filter set + SMII 60 richview DS etalon
Skywatcher EQ6 Pro and Ioptron CEM60
Then there is all the night kit which is far too long a list to write up here! :lol:
More images on view on my Flickr page...https://www.flickr.com/photos/alun_h/