How does sunlight reduce myopia (near sightedness)?

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Solarscout
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

How does sunlight reduce myopia (near sightedness)?

Post by Solarscout »

Research shows that exposing children to more sunlight can reduce myopia. Myopia is caused by elongated eyes, so it suggests that sunlight can help keep eyes round and spherical?

https://www.aao.org/education/editors-c ... n-children

Study design
Researchers recruited grade 1 school children from 16 different Taiwanese schools. Of the 693 students included, 276 were encouraged to spend 11 hours/week outdoors through a school-based program. The remainder of children were in the control group and continued regular activities.

Outcomes
Light intervention reduced both myopic shift (0.35 D vs. 0.47 D; P=0.002) and axial elongation (0.28 mm vs. 0.33 mm; P=0.003). Risk of rapid myopia progression was also 54% lower in the intervention cohort compared with controls. Effects were significant in both nonmyopic and myopic children.

Investigators noted that longer exposure to moderate sunlight intensity (i.e., hallways, under trees) was as effective as short exposure to high sunlight intensity for preventing myopia.

But the study doesn't seem to explain how the Sun can keep your eyes healthy. Can you speak from personal experience whether being out in the sun longer keeps your vision better for longer?

pupak
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: How does sunlight reduce myopia (near sightedness)?

Post by pupak »

I personally believe that the children were mainly helped by being outside and not staring at monitors and mobile phones, which are the main cause of poor eyesight. Our eyes need natural light. They are projected onto him.

I do not look at the sky with the eyes of an astronomer, but of a person looking for the beauty of nature.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Interesting!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Maybe the smaller pupil in brighter light produces sharper images, so eyes aren’t struggling to focus so much….less eye strain.

Who knows?

Interesting though.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
GreatAttractor
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by GreatAttractor »

pupak wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:59 am I personally believe that the children were mainly helped by being outside and not staring at monitors and mobile phones, which are the main cause of poor eyesight.
I can't find the link now, but I read an article which indicated that computer/phone use doesn't seem to matter. IIRC, they compared myopia prevalence in children & teenagers between Western European countries and South Korea, with both having similar screen time, but much less outdoor activities - and more myopia cases - in SK. The conclusion was that regular exposure to UV in sunlight is crucial for proper development of the eyeball.

But as always, things are complex, here's a Korean study on myopia prevalence discussing (no hard conclusions) some factors: link.

My software:
Stackistry — an open-source cross-platform image stacker
ImPPG — stack post-processing and animation alignment
My images

SW Mak-Cass 127, ATM Hα scopes (90 mm, 200 mm), Lunt LS50THa, ATM SSM, ATM Newt 300/1500 mm, PGR Chameleon 3 mono (ICX445)
pupak

Post by pupak »

GreatAttractor wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:18 am I can't find the link now, but I read an article which indicated that computer/phone use doesn't seem to matter. IIRC, they compared myopia prevalence in children & teenagers between Western European countries and South Korea, with both having similar screen time, but much less outdoor activities - and more myopia cases - in SK. The conclusion was that regular exposure to UV in sunlight is crucial for proper development of the eyeball.

But as always, things are complex, here's a Korean study on myopia prevalence discussing (no hard conclusions) some factors: link.
Life has taught me that every study has such a result as the client pays for. During my childhood, two children from my class had glasses, today it is 7 out of 10 in the Czech Republic.

I do not look at the sky with the eyes of an astronomer, but of a person looking for the beauty of nature.