"How to Build and Use a Spectroheliograph" -- slides and Zoom call recording

I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

"How to Build and Use a Spectroheliograph" -- slides and Zoom call recording

Post by thesmiths »

I had some good feedback on the Solarchat 14 May 2023 Zoom call. I've put a link to the slides (How to SHG slides.pptx) on this page:

https://github.com/thelondonsmiths/Sole ... on_EN/wiki

The links in the presentation to various websites should work and there are notes on some of the slides that fill in some details.

The YouTube recording of the call can be found here:

The slides posted here do not include the videos that I used in the presentation. Those can be found here:

Last edited by thesmiths on Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:12 am, edited 11 times in total.

rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: "How to Build and Use a Spectroheliograph" -- slides and Zoom call recording

Post by rsfoto »

Hi Doug,

Thanks a lot for posting the video link to a scan. This says more then thousand words in regard to how to expose the Hydrogen alpha line.

:bow2

I have a collection of old Canon lenses in different focal lengths. Perhaps I take my time and design a new housing for this lenses. Your explanation in the Zoom meeting helped me a lot to understand this SHG mystery a bit better.

:bow

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Haversin
The Sun?
The Sun?

Re: "How to Build and Use a Spectroheliograph" -- slides and Zoom call recording

Post by Haversin »

That was a great chat! makes me want to build a spectroheliograph! One question: what causes the curve in the spectral line? you said it has a theoretical parabolic shape and bends toward the blue. Thanks Russ E.

ffellah

Post by ffellah »

Thank you for the excellent presentation and explanations, Douglas. There is a lot to learn.

Franco :D