Venus at sunset

Lets brighten up peoples live with all those lovely pictures of the world around us!

Moderator: Montana

cte
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Venus at sunset

Post by cte »

I tried to capture some details with the combination of a violet W47 and an IR cut (it is necessary, since the W 47 filter has some IR transparency). Seeing was good, and video captures were performed with ASi 174, 2 x barlow and MAk 180. I took 5 5000-7000 frames at 70 fps, averaged the best 15% of each, wavelet treated with IRIS, and combined with winjupos.
Later I took the RGB colors in order to assemble the UV (L) +RGB image. Not that color is that important with Venus, it is so bright at the visual observation to be essentially white. I think some fuzzy darker spots are visibile, although I did not resolve any clear atmospheric structure, but this is the first time I get a hint of something on the Venus surface
Attachments
2023-06-01-1911_2UV+color.jpg
2023-06-01-1911_2UV+color.jpg (30.43 KiB) Viewed 917 times

KMH
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Venus at sunset

Post by KMH »

Definitely looks like some cloud features!

Kevin

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Wow!! apart from the edge, it does look like some cloud details :bow :hamster:

Alexandra

cte
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by cte »

I have to find a way to correct the exceedingly bright border

KMH
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by KMH »

cte wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:29 pm I have to find a way to correct the exceedingly bright border
I haven't experimented too much with it yet, but I have seen several people who have had good success with the dyadic wavelets in Registax 6, just the Level 1 and 2 adjustments (there are 6 levels). It's supposed to do well with low-contrast features like Venus clouds. Also I've been experimenting with successive small use of a high-pass filter in Photoshop, which seems to be useful.
The other thing I've found relatively recently (I'm by no means a planetary imaging expert!) is that it really helps to capture for more like 80000-100000 frames if you can. Stacking 10000-15000 frames seems to enable more aggressive processing while keeping the edge rind relatively under control.

Kevin

cte
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by cte »

KMH wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:20 am
cte wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:29 pm I have to find a way to correct the exceedingly bright border
I haven't experimented too much with it yet, but I have seen several people who have had good success with the dyadic wavelets in Registax 6, just the Level 1 and 2 adjustments (there are 6 levels). It's supposed to do well with low-contrast features like Venus clouds. Also I've been experimenting with successive small use of a high-pass filter in Photoshop, which seems to be useful.
The other thing I've found relatively recently (I'm by no means a planetary imaging expert!) is that it really helps to capture for more like 80000-100000 frames if you can. Stacking 10000-15000 frames seems to enable more aggressive processing while keeping the edge rind relatively under control.

Kevin
Thank you Kevin I will try experimenting your processing advices. The next time I have good seeing and clear skies (it seems like an impossible condition this year in my region) I'll also try to integrate more. Fast frame rate seem to be easy with Venus, despite strongly absorbing filters. I'll keep you posted